Let`s hear it for the Habs!!!

lookinforwalleye

This is gonna be fun! This series is up for grabs.

I still love hearing the 21,000 crybabies looking for a call when a Hab gets hit or whine when a clear boarding call is made. Get a grip people. I thought you knew how hockey is played. Are there enough tissues in Montreal to keep it up?

Pre-Bettman days hockey was a two-way game. That meant, among other things, that both teams were penalized for the same things. Lately it seems you get a free pass if your name is Sid, or if your team is in one of the American markets Bettman is trying to exploit - I mean, turn into the new hockey hotbed because of the huge potential revenue stream.

Perhaps you get different coverage down there but up here in the frozen north our commentators have been running replays of the more blatant examples of this. When they start talking about it you can figure it's gotten out of hand. Even the Mouth-That-Roared (Don Cherry) is taking exception to it and he's generally the last guy to object to rough stuff. Sidney got away with a lot of crap and drew a few cheap penalties for the same crap. Much of that was caught on camera. Everybody is pushing the envelope but it seems the favoured few get away with more and draw penalties easier than ever this year. I guess Bettman et al would choke if the featured players all get eliminated by also rans. Even NBC is threatening to drop coverage if there are no big teams involved in the final. That must concern Bettman given that his entire business plan is predicated on developing the cash-rich American market.

As I've said, I'm generally not a Habs fan. In fact I tend to really dislike the Habs as a team, I don't really know why other than that I've always been a leaf fan, even when I had friends playing on other original six teams or local kids who came through our minor system. I yam what I yam, an ex-hockey playing Canuck kid who just hasn't got caught up in Bettman's grand plan to turn hockey into a major market cash cow.

I think it's almost impossible for any informed hockey fan (other than those who have over-indulged in the Koolaid of their chosen team) to deny the kick to be had from watching the bottom-dwellers kick some high flying butt the way the Habs have been doing. Yeah, they've got a hot goalie right now, but they're also scoring more goals on fewer shots, blocking shots, line matching and killing penalties like a bugger. It's the classic rags to riches story, and it's about our beloved hockey. This could even outdo the win in '72 for Canadian and Canadien fans if the Habbies can keep turning the tables.

Go Habs (at least until you meet the Canucks in the final, like that might actually happen) :thumbsup_anim:

JF

I'm not a big conspiracy theorist John and my belief is that people who use the Commisioner of any league (baseball, football or hockey) as a reason that specific games are officiated differently in order to favor a player or network media are looking for excuses. This game is played on the ice and not in the front office. The Habs, unlike their fans, don't need excuses.

You hit the nail on the head with respect to this series. The Habs are the most efficient team I've seen in a long time. I cringe with every turnover. Combine that with the smoking hot goalie, it spells trouble for the Pens. The Pens lack of efficiency and absence of Sid may very well send them packing. I just hope Sid and Gino kick it in gear and they start finding the back of the net. Otherwise, I think I'll schedule a tee time for them next week.

Guest Johnny Bass

Pre-Bettman days hockey was a two-way game. That meant, among other things, that both teams were penalized for the same things. Lately it seems you get a free pass if your name is Sid, or if your team is in one of the American markets Bettman is trying to exploit - I mean, turn into the new hockey hotbed because of the huge potential revenue stream.

Exactly. I notice the refs are leaning towards the American teams.

And I hope the refs start making some goalie interference calls in regards to Luongo.

i dont think the refs are biased one way or the other, i just think they are making more mistakes, it is almost as though the refs themselves have bought into the "its the fastest and hardest game to referee in the world" that kind of statement puts them above criticism because 'no one else could do better', and some of the worse calls or non calls ive seen this playiff year were made when the players were mostly still with the ref standing right next to them. Seems to me it has gone to their heads, that said I think the biggest problem with the NHL, and it is related to a lot of the fans out there, is the let em play in the playoffs mentality. It is a difficult game to call but it is made much more so by the inconsistent officiating both during the regular season and then of course payoffs. This is likely made worse by having two different referees, with two different approaches to calling a game, on the ice at the same time. Basically no knows from game to game which of the marginal infractions will be called or not called, it cheapens the game imo, call the game the same year round, full stop.

Lots of whine here with the hab fans. Yes there were bad calls...both ways. Problem with Montreal fans are that they are irrational and can't see this, they think it is an American conspiracy. Nor can they see that there team is a hack 8th place finisher who got into the playoffs not on their own accord. Halik is the beginning the middle and the end of this story.

Yet, this Jersey style of play might work for Montreal...trap plus grab plus super awesome goal tending but then the Hab fans shouldn't complain about boring because it is Montreal that is afraid to play on open game until they have a lead. Like the old Jersey they play better with a lead. Only problem is that Montreal can't rely on Pittsburg to score the winning goal every game like last night! :)

Finally, we are in a different era and Crosby has a right to be upset with daily mugging he gets from Gil. The Montreal fanboys should stop whining about those justified calls. The rules changed to allow for athletic skill. But, as long as there are the non-calls for interference Pittsburg should do a Chicago. Crash the net.

Edited by scuro2

I don't hate the habs because I am a leaf fan. I hate the habs because they are the ONLY team in the NHL that is (and has always been) characertized by diving, faking injuries, and other soccer-like behaviour.

That being said I love Montreal, and the people of Montreal, but their teams unsportsmanlike behaviour is always talked about, but quickly forgotten.

I'm not a big conspiracy theorist John and my belief is that people who use the Commisioner of any league (baseball, football or hockey) as a reason that specific games are officiated differently in order to favor a player or network media are looking for excuses. This game is played on the ice and not in the front office. The Habs, unlike their fans, don't need excuses.

You hit the nail on the head with respect to this series. The Habs are the most efficient team I've seen in a long time. I cringe with every turnover. Combine that with the smoking hot goalie, it spells trouble for the Pens. The Pens lack of efficiency and absence of Sid may very well send them packing. I just hope Sid and Gino kick it in gear and they start finding the back of the net. Otherwise, I think I'll schedule a tee time for them next week.

I'm generally not much of a conspiracy theorist either, but too many people in the know (knowledgable media types particularly) are starting to comment on how desperate Bettman must be getting with all the troubles his crazy new markets are experiencing. This latest fiasco in Phoenix is a great example. Bettman has manipulated the NHL into a real jackpot there. Apparently his latest rescue deal is in jeopardy. Hopefully he won't pull the same kind of bailout stunt in Tampa, Atlanta etc. or the NHL is gonna find itself the sole owner of the whole league with a few original team exceptions and Gary will have some 'splainin' to do. When I say he's influencing the calls I'm exaggerating a tad, I hope. But I have no doubt there's a strong undercurrent of pressure to take care of Sid and the other newer market teams with big population draws (hence more revenue stream potential). The league fell into that routine years ago, taking care of the big draws. There's a popular opinion that Gary would have liked nothing better than to see something like a NY/Washington or NY/Philly final if that were possible. A Pitt/Wash pairing would be next. If it was ever something like Calgary/Edmonton he'd probably just slit his wrists. I know those are impossible final pairings but I'm just hypothesizing here.

Gino and Sid are both having great moments but the consistency isn't there. That's one of the reasons I don't think Halak should get all the credit. The Habs are doing a great job of checking those guys most of the time and may not be getting enough credit for that.

JF

Exactly. I notice the refs are leaning towards the American teams.

And I hope the refs start making some goalie interference calls in regards to Luongo.

You can bet Vancouver is going to get some goalie interference penalties now, against them. They've warned they're going to adopt the same style as Chicago around the net since the refs aren't interested in calling it. Watch the refs policy change now though.

JF

You liked my last one. Great I cleaned it up and got more specific. ENJOY!!

Lots of whine on this forum with the hab fans. Yes there were bad calls...both ways. The problem with Montreal fans is that they are irrational and can't judge with any objectivity. They think there is an American conspiracy between Betman and the refs :rofl2: . Nor can they see that their team is a hack 8th place finisher who got into the playoffs not by beating the leafs but by other teams getting eliminated. The only thing you need to know about Montreal's shocking playoff run is the name Halik. He is the beginning the middle and the end of this story.

This Jersey style of play might work for Montreal...trap, plus grab, plus super awesome goal tending. Now Hab fans shouldn't complain about boring hockey because that is the only style of hockey Montreal can win. They tried open hockey in game one and got smoked. Now they are afraid to play an open game until they have a lead. Like the old Jersey teams the trap works better when the other team is desperate and pinches their defence men. Only problem is that Montreal isn't NJ and has few skilled players. They can't rely on Pittsburg to score another game winning goal like last night! :)

Finally, we are in a different era and Crosby has a right to be upset with daily mugging he gets from Gil. The Montreal fanboys should stop whining about those justified calls from the refs. The rules changed to allow for more athletic skill and less clutch and grab. What Pittsburg should do now is take advantage of lack of interference calls. Pittsburg should do a Chicago and crash the net. Once Halik is off his game Montreal would have NO legs to stand on.

Edited by scuro2

Too bad about the weather this morning...I was looking forward to getting on the water.

Keep the inane comments coming because I love reading the headline...

"Let's hear it for the Habs!!!"

I hope tonight's game is better than the last one.

I can't believe I'm now rooting for the Habs. I've never liked 'em but I can't help cheering for them now, like the Little Engine That Could. I think I can, I think I can etc.

They've made hockey more fun to watch than it's been in a long time with their scrambley wins. I doubt I'll fall enuf under their spell to forsake my hapless Leafs next season but they're my boyz for now.

Go Habs ( but not next season!)

JF

That was about as "sweet" a Hab victory as you are going to see. Have they won by more then one in the playoffs when the extra goals were not empty netters? What are you expecting, a hab blowout? :rofl2::tease::rofl2: This is the team of boring. Boring doesn't dominate.

That was about as "sweet" a Hab victory as you are going to see. Have they won by more then one in the playoffs when the extra goals were not empty netters? What are you expecting, a hab blowout? :rofl2::tease::rofl2: This is the team of boring. Boring doesn't dominate.

The Habs are just efficient. Why waste a lot of energy on outshooting yer opponent when you know it only takes one goal to beat him? I'll admit that a few (LaPierre for example) might be keen to run up the score but he's constantly proving he's not the sharpest knife in the drawer although frequently still useful.

On another note, is anyone else watching the Canada/Italy game on TSN? Stamkos is looking good, naturally.

JF

JF

Guest Johnny Bass

The Habs are just efficient. Why waste a lot of energy on outshooting yer opponent when you know it only takes one goal to beat him? I'll admit that a few (LaPierre for example) might be keen to run up the score but he's constantly proving he's not the sharpest knife in the drawer although frequently still useful.

On another note, is anyone else watching the Canada/Italy game on TSN? Stamkos is looking good, naturally.

JF

JF

The only game they outshot their opponents, they lost, so I like the strategy of tiring out their opponents, playing defensive and waiting for the other team to make errors.

All courtesy of Jacques Martin. A defensive coach that I wanted the leafs to acquire.

Edited by Johnny Bass

first, GO HABS GO

second, we're not delousional, we know our team is not the greatest, but to put 2 of the top teams in the league to the test proves that maybe they arent so great after all, they're human, they can be beat on any given night, just like anybody else, so all the low ball teams who think getting the #1 pick in the draft is the way to the cup, hopefully they'll give their head a shake, alot of heart and grit can go just as far as a alot of talent,

third, who ever says there's no point in finishing 8th, has no fan base to begin with

i've said it before and will say it again, losing 4 straight in the 1st round is WAAAAYYYYY better than not making the playoffs at all, unless the team dont care about the fans, and the fans dont care about the team,

fourth, neener, neener, neener

fifth, GO HABS GO

Side note... TSN commentators are saying Halak is worthy of the playoff MVP already, do you think it's possible to give it to a player if they dont make past the second round? how bout third round? i wonder wich MVP has been ousted the earliest in the league history,

personally i dont think it should be given to a palyer who isnt in the finals, but thats just me, any thoughts?

I kinda think that what I'm liking best about the Habs winning now is that my Lowly Leafs beat 'em in the last game of the regular season. This kinda stuff restores my flagging faith.

JF

Go Habs Go yes I am a habs fan but when there losing I never put them down.

Well if they don't win the cup it won't change my life May after all is one of the best times of year

to go fishing and that is where my priority is.Some of these guys make more than my annual salary playing just a a game or 2.What I do like right now is hockey is good for the Quebec economy.

Restaurants,sportsbars and pubs are full during the tough economic times

its great to see some benefits of Hockey.Must be the same in Vancouver.

Now if the habs don't win the cup it would be sweet to see Vancouver take it.

With that said lets bring the cup back to Canada :canadian:

Edited by Mike the Pike

My bet is... Scuro will keep bashing and ranting about the Habs team that out performs his Leafs, now, then and as always. While John will continue to praise this Habs team in hopes of finding some sort of awkward way to restore faith in his Leafs. (I do like that approach a little better John. lol... creative and supportive)

Make it easier on yourselves dooooooooooooooooods and just accept you've been beaten again, and switch to the team that as always given their fans more that just head and heartaches.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

this series is going to be settled by the goaltenders. good game. hopefully the scabs take game 6.

Yeah, I guess it's time to throw in the towel. My leafs aren't even going to make it reincarnated as Habs. :blush:

With Gill probably gone now on top of Markov and Spacek, Guerin back, 71 hitting his stride and Fleury having discovered Halak's bottle of the magic goalie elixir I think the Habbies may well be toast. But that was a great effort for a team that was written off half a season back. I have a newfound respect for the Habs that may even last beyond the opening game next season.

Go Canucks! And if they buy the ranch too I'm really screwed cuz my next choice was Detroit. No way I can bring meself to cheer for any team with Cooke on it so I guess I may be a Boston fan before bass season is upon us. If they go down then my love and loyalty switches to the Hawks. I'm not fickle, just highly adaptable.

JF