Boat Modifications (looking for advice)

archie_james_c

I know there probably won't be alot of advice on this topic, but I am getting my new boat in a couple weeks. A Princecraft Holiday.

What I would like to know is if anyone has had experience removing the middle bench seat of their boats. I've been toying around with this idea so I could do an open concept floor design like the Holiday DLX.

Has anyone tried this on their boats and did you find that you lost any hull integrity? I can't imagine it would lose any durability as the 2005 Holiday DLX was the exact same hull as the standard Holiday but as said, without the damn ugly bench seats.

Here's some pics to show what I mean.

Standard 2005 Princecraft Holiday (measures 16' 4"L and 83" W)

e7fqxf.jpg

2005 Holiday DLX (full open floor and pedistal seats)

vwzyub.jpg

It looks like the floor in the bottom boat and the pieces up the side may provide some of the strength you'd lose when you remove the bench seat. Also consider the flotation foam that is probably under the middle seat, you'd have to think about that as well. Isn't the amount AND the position of the flotation foam important to keeping the boat level in the event that it is swamped? I'd think that removing/moving it wouldn't be a problem any other time, but if it does happen...you may be in some trouble, if not on the water itself, but with your insurance company if they find it's been modified.

ryan

I wouldn't do it, the floor in the DLX has to add strength and rigidity + you'll have to put some sort of a floor in if you want to mount a seat. By the time you add up all the work and materials you are going to have to put into the project you'd probably be better off selling yours and buying what you really want.

If it was and old boat i would take out the middle bench. If it is new and cost you a lot i would not. Boats flex a lot and it might crack the hull or loosen the rivets.

Put a flat floor in and step over the middle bench. Make a casting deck on the front deck.

thanks for the advice guys. my plan is to put a flat floor and casting deck on it. I was hoping to be able to rid myself of the bench seat somewhere down the road and put in a full flat floor and side rod lockers and storage.

As for the advice of "selling yours and getting the DLX", well...mine was 4000$ even and the DLX is 16, 800$ :lol: .

As for the advice of "selling yours and getting the DLX", well...mine was 4000$ even and the DLX is 16, 800$ :lol: .

Is that supposed to read $16,800 for a Holiday DLX? Are you comparing the Holiday hull only to a Holiday DLX boat/motor/trailer package? There is no way that a Holiday DLX would go that much for just a hull.

Is that supposed to read $16,800 for a Holiday DLX? Are you comparing the Holiday hull only to a Holiday DLX boat/motor/trailer package? There is no way that a Holiday DLX would go that much for just a hull.

Im sure it was a package. But even still if you cut that price in HALF, its still *twice* as much as what I paid for my Holiday ;)

And yes, I'm aware that removing the seat would more than likely void the warranty.

Let's just say this is more of something thats been bouncing around in my head, NOT a 100% set in stone gameplan :).

Edited by archie_james_c

Warranty Void for sure....

But if you do do any modifications do the the right way.

maybe like this?.. I felt like screwing around with my paint program.

RFS

:canadian:

Randy this is EXACTLY what I was looking for and what I had in mind!!

My plan for the casting deck is a big honkin livewell and a baitwell. add a pedistal seat mount and a bow mounted trolling motor off the front. The "factory bow mount plate" looks fairly easy to replicate.

i was thinking of using 1/2" pressure treated plywood covered in marine vinyl coloured to match the inside of the hull. What do you think about the wood?

Warranty Void for sure....

But if you do do any modifications do the the right way.

maybe like this?.. I felt like screwing around with my paint program.

PrincecraftModified2.jpg

RFS

My Tracker has the same layout and the side storage compensates for rigidity I'm sure

RFS

Randy this is EXACTLY what I was looking for and what I had in mind!!

My plan for the casting deck is a big honkin livewell and a baitwell. add a pedistal seat mount and a bow mounted trolling motor off the front. The "factory bow mount plate" looks fairly easy to replicate.

i was thinking of using 1/2" pressure treated plywood covered in marine vinyl coloured to match the inside of the hull. What do you think about the wood?

NEVER EVER use Pressure treated wood on an alum boat!!!!!!!! The treatment is corrosive and you WILL get a hole where the wood meets the metal.

If you wish to use ply, use marine grade plywood seal it with an epoxy or fiberglass resin (all 6 sides) and you will have something that will last.

NEVER EVER use Pressure treated wood on an alum boat!!!!!!!! The treatment is corrosive and you WILL get a hole where the wood meets the metal.

If you wish to use ply, use marine grade plywood seal it with an epoxy or fiberglass resin (all 6 sides) and you will have something that will last.

Sorry I meant marine grade :blush:

Any modification or added equipment to any boat in Ca. is suposed to be done to the manufacturers specifications.

Transport Ca. put out a guide book for the pleasure craft courtesy check and there was something in there about modifying a boat and I'm pretty sure thats how it goes. I would imagine there are a lot of guys here that could have insurance issues. Simple as pedestal seats that throw off the stability of the boat could be a problem.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

at a minimum i'd be concerned with this drastically impeding the boats performance...at a max, i'd be worried about how dangerous this could be! lol!

I would be very careful modifying a boat in this way.

My first boat was a used Grumman 16' aluminum that had been modified just like that. The middle bench had been removed and a full floor & casting decks were added. Within a few years, the entire hull started to split right along the line of the floor and the boat would leak like a sieve. By the time I found the full extent of the damage, the boat was scrap. I was lucky the hull didn't just peel right apart while out on the water one day.

Do they use some kind of struts/stringers under the floors to reduce torsional stress? That center bench would seem to be a major player in the dep't.

Yes.

If he's going to do it right they are required and should be aluminum and glued & rivetted to the hull.

They should also be tied into the structure for the side bunks and sides of the hull as well.