Holy Crap - Leafs are a dealin

Jds63

The Flames have dealt Dion Phaneuf, Fredrik Sjostrom and Keith Aulie to Leafs for Matt Stajan, Niklas Hagman, Jamal Mayers and Ian White.

All right all the armchair analysts out there ... the crap just hit the fan in Leaf world .... let the discussion begin .... Good or Bad ?

Not sure what the results will be yet !! no details on draft picks or cost !!!

I also heard Giguere for Toskala

lol i just posted the same thing. but didnt know the details.

im extatic to have phaneuf, but sad to see hagman go, cause he was really starting to pick up his play. stajan never played to his potential... but IAN WHITE????? there better be plans to sign him back in the off season, he was the best player on the team all year, hands down!!

im hearing giguere and a 1st rounder for toskola. personally, thats a VERY high price for toskola... a stick and 2 pucks seems more fair of a deal to me.. lol, but if burke got that, good on him.

Giguere is going to cost the leafs more than toskala, and Ian white was going to be expecting more money that the leafs were willing to pay him.

Rumor now is Blake is in the deal and leafs get a first rounder along with giguere

Edited by blarg

burke said he would take on salary to aquire draft picks. which is evident in the toskola-giguere deal. white was well worth the raise he is gonna get in the off season. i really hope there is a deal in place to resign him in the off season. he has been their best player hands down all year. and last year as well. he plays both ends of the ice

and for a team that cant score, trading ur leading scorer isnt gonna help that matter much. mayers was no shock as he requested a trade. and it was a matter of time for stajan. as he has been called out nurmous time this year by management.

Obviously Phaneuf is a quality defenseman but the leafs give up their 2nd and 3rd highest scoring forwards and a pretty good D`man in White.

This will put more pressure of Kessel to score more goals.

If the Leafs can get Giguere that would help as Toskala just plain stinks and the Monster has proven one thing so far is that he is not ready for the NHL.

Phaneuf is one of my favorite players. He's had a terrible year in Calgary, hopefully a change of venue will turn him around.

It will be great to see him in a Leafs uniform.

i agree!! now we know the leafs will be looking for at least 2 top line forwards in the off season now. they need a number one playmaking center and another scoring winger

i didnt know blake was part of that deal he just cleared some serious salary from the team. and salary from some totally useless players. i feel for the ducks though.,.. noew that have a high payed useless winger who plays well once every 12 games or so. and a goalie who cant stop a shot to save his life, has horrible positioning and some of the worst rebound control the game has ever seen!

now, if we can get rid of jeff finger and his 4 mil per year joke of a contract for a guy who was number 7 on colorados depth chart before ferguson signed him we'll be ok.

From mapleleafs.com

Toskala, Blake, White, Hagman, Stajan and Mayers gone

Phaneuf, Giguere, Aulie and Sjorostom to Toronto

hopefully Giguere will be able to do something Toskala couldn't now that he is reunited with Burke and Francois Allaire (goaltending coach)

With Toronto at the bottom of the league in goals allowed and 16th in goals for, maybe giving up a bit of scoring for some defence and a goalie isnt a horrible idea...we'll see

White, Hagman, Kaberle were my 3 picks for team MVP this year(I guess Kaberle wins by default now) I hope they can get either White or Hagman back this off season They were seemingly the only producers on the team this year. The Jiggy deal, is another example of picking up a star well past their prime (Lindros, Leetch, Francis to name a few)

jjcanoe

i like phaneuf lots. only 24 and i think he'll figure into their future well. i am sure he will return to his form of a few seasons ago. for a rebuilding team, trading a bunch of 2,3,4 liners for a top 2 d-man is a good move IMO. white was a good player but will never be a top 2 dman. the others 3rd and 4th liners on any team besides the leafs.

i like phaneuf lots. only 24 and i think he'll figure into their future well. i am sure he will return to his form of a few seasons ago. for a rebuilding team, trading a bunch of 2,3,4 liners for a top 2 d-man is a good move IMO. white was a good player but will never be a top 2 dman. the others 3rd and 4th liners on any team besides the leafs.

dunno what uve been watchin, but white has been their best player the past 2 years. and he could easily be a top 2 D man on any team in the league. hes as tough as they come, plays hard, hes excellant in his own end and smart in the offensive end. has a bullet shot, makes great passes and can skate very well.