Down sizing boat?

FISHINGNUT

Just wondering if any one here has ever sold a larger boat to buy a smaller boat? I have a 17.5 bowrider and was thinking of dropping to a 15-16ft tiller.Last April I sold my truck and bought a Montanna it pulls ok but nothing like my HEMI .I am not selling to make money if anything I will probably end up spending more on a smaller boat because I will be buying newer.I dont fish the great lakes mostly bass and walleye with the trolling motor on smaller lakes but I am really not sure if I am going to regret going smaller but much newer.The boat on the right is mine the boat on the left is my uncles exact boat i am looking at going too but in the tiller model his is side console .Any one here every do it and really regret it ?

boat.jpg

Edited by FISHINGNUT

smaller lighter boat will save you lots in gas $$$ (both towing and on the water). If you're not fishing the big bodies of water, and you only fish 2 guys in the boat i say go for it and get a side console. If you're gonna have three in there better go tiller

i went from a 19' smoker craft to a 12' tin boat. simply because i moved from Kenora to Guelph and most of the lakes I fish now don't require a bigger boat. I miss the space and speed but I don't need a boat launch to put my little boat in the water now. I have even portaged it into more remote lakes.

Well the smaller boat will be much more versitile than that big one, that's for sure. If you can, look for a 16ft aluminum tiller that fits your budget. I've found that a 16fter is the most versitile size of boat, and the tiller leaves tons of open space for people or gear. You can fish some pretty big water, and still hit the small back lakes too!

S.

I've got both, but I sooner fish from the smaller tiller. My smaller one is a 16' Princecraft Holiday with a 50 Honda tiller. Still fishing, you can sit, trolling your at your rod, turn on a dime, back trolling a breeze, fish smaller lakes, lighter trailering, easier on gas, more floor space. The only thing I find is on big water, big boat with a wind shield blocks the bad weather. If I had to do it all over I would buy Spiel's boat. NICE 17' Lund Tiller I've fished in it, Beauty machine. One day I'm going to steal it if Brook don't bite me. :D

Edited by Fish Farmer

I've got both, but I sooner fish from the smaller tiller. My smaller one is a 16' Princecraft Holiday with a 50 Honda tiller. Still fishing, you can sit, trolling your at your rod, turn on a dime, back trolling a breeze, fish smaller lakes, lighter trailering, easier on gas, more floor space. The only thing I find is on big water, big boat with a wind shield blocks the bad weather.

Yeah we should all have the 2 boat dilemma. :D

I have a 17" tiller, love it. Lots of floor space for 2 or 3 anglers. :thumbsup_anim:

I have a 16’ wide body tinny tiller and yes it’s very versatile but calls me a fair weather fisher anymore; but I do not like being soaked to the core, very time there’s a bit of a chop on the water.

Power out to your favorite fishing hole, in 1-2 foot chop; drop anchor, ring out underwear and then get your fishing gear. LOL

I’ve never owner a consol boat but the idea of a full walkthrough windshield and a standup convertible top; seems real appealing to me.

Not sure how much I would like dealing with the top’s bars being in the way, while landing a fish; but the idea of being dry and warm?

Now if there was an affordable top that was designed for a tiller; something that had a stowage system; that didn’t screw up the boats functionality with the top down (where would it be stored on board); I wouldn’t think of a larger/consol boat.

Dan.

I find in a smaller boat the console takes up to much room ,I like the open area of the tiller over a side console.

That's the exact reason I went to a tiller, wanted a 14 fter, but on occasion take out the three young lads, 11, 10 and 10 so need that extra room. Nothing wrong with downsizing, just make sure whatever you buy can handle the water you will be fishing in.

It's all about outlook and priorities....

1/ Ya wanna be a poser-----get a console

2/ Ya wanna go fishin and actually catch em.....get a tiller

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Seriously though....the smaller tinny will allow you into places that don't have a launch

*****This ones kinda important****

I've seen guys that went to a 14 foot tinny---full carpeted floor--livewell etc----lets just say he still needed a launch cause you were not carrying that one.

Bottom line--should have bought a big one cause he gained nothing more than mileage---if your going lite---keep it lite or why bother.

Bushart

I recommend tiller, especially considering you don't fish the big lakes. Keep in mind you spend 90-95% of your time fishing and 5-10% of your time driving the boat. I would rather have the convenience of more room while im fishing, as opposed to having the convenience of a steering wheel.

Thanks for all the input guys .I think the only thing I might miss is the windshield and top on those really cold windy mornings which isnt very many in a season for me anyways , I am going to check out the fishing and boat show in February to see what kind of deals are out there and if there is anything I like .I am in no hurry with the water as hard as it is right now :whistling: so I want to take my time and find the right boat