2010 boat show

aniceguy

I went thank god the passes were free as I doubt I would have went otherwise. The only difference was more sham wow type sellers and a noticable absence of bass boats. Triton was represented by Bay city and a few skeeter boats but thats it......other then the newly reduced Z& with a 150 for 24k new.

Other then that it really was a dissapointment. Unless your going to buy a wake board for the cottage or are spending 2.4 million on a crusier personally better to save the money for the spring fishing show......

hmmmmmm, I haven't been to the show in a couple years and was planning on going on Monday, but if it's that bad perhaps I'll save my $$$$ and do something else.

Sad the way these shows have been going downhill in the last few years. After the last couple Sportsman Shows I said I'd never waste my $$$$ on that one again either.

BAH humbug, I just got home had a great time, more than enough to look at and touch..altho i really wanted to touch and see a skeeter sl210 the guy said they rolled the tuck and trailer on the way to the show and he may be able to offer it at a reduced rate!! lol no thanks.....

I was happy to see the amount of children in the place and activities for them. I grabbed a flyer from almost every booth to take home to view later some interesting reads, I like to bring all the 2010 booklets to the cottage for reading material so i grab lots.

This is also a great time to get answers to all your boating questions and see new technology.

You can even go see the great bernie, legend from OFC forums at the crestliner booth!!!

P's the free hat from fishing canada boys was worth the 15 entry fee

Edited by BUSTER

The only difference was more sham wow type sellers and a noticable absence of bass boats. Triton was represented by Bay city and a few skeeter boats but thats it......other then the newly reduced Z& with a 150 for 24k new.

Part of the reason you're not seeing many bass boats this year is because several of the manufacturers are in various stages of bankruptcy. For example, Genmar Holdings, the parent company of Ranger, Champion and Stratos, was formally dissolved in US bankruptcy court on Friday afternoon, with all three brands sold to a finance company based in Beverly Hills, California (Platinum Equity Corp.).

This does not mean that Ranger, Champion and Stratos are out of business - but it does mean they are momentarily not allowed to spend any money buying display space at boat shows. It also precludes them from paying a dealer to represent them at the show, as is normally the case here in Toronto. Ranger and Stratos will likely be back next year once they get the legal mumbo-jumbo sorted out.

Many people probably don't realize that by December 2009, almost half the people working in the North American boating industry found themselves unemployed. Last year brought record numbers of bankruptcies and factory closures across North America. If you think the auto industry has had a rough ride, that's nothing compared to what the marine guys have gone through.

The other consideration is that there's a lot of brand-new 'old' boats still in the pipeline. Some of the dealers are still selling brand-new 2008 models.

Right now Lund even has a special rebate program on 2009 boats. Buy a brand-new 2009 Pro V this month and you get $1,500 back. They will also give you a rebate on a new 2010, but it's not as much money. They want to get rid of the older boats first.

There is so much new 'old' stock floating around right now some manufacturers are talking about eliminating model year designations altogether. The outboard manufacturers have already done this.

With the dollar at 96 cents, very low finance rates and all kinds of incentives from dealers and manufacturers alike, this really is a great time to buy a boat.

Sad the way these shows have been going downhill in the last few years. After the last couple Sportsman Shows I said I'd never waste my $$$$ on that one again either.

I'm getting the same feeling down here as well. We have the Eastern Outdoor show in Harrisburg coming up in February. It's a 9 - 10 day event. I like to check out the new rods and tackle and each year there is less and less. Seems like the price they are charging for a spot is driving the smaller folks out. There was one group that made some larger spinners and I usually picked up a few each year - last two years they we're there.

Two reasons I attended last year. 1). Get a break from Cabin Fever and 2). to chat with the folks from NOTO and pick up some of their literature. $11.00 per ticket (2) and $8.00 to park + 2 hour drive one way.

Kinda doubt we make the trip this year - especially since I'm now allowed to get a new boat :(

True Craig....shoulda forgone it and hade some beers or wings with you.......At leat I was able to show my wife the merit of upgrading to a larger boat though.....

You only think she bought it. She knew there was no sense arguing with you at the boat show and let you give her your speil.

Ask her tomorrow what she thinks.

hmmmmmm, I haven't been to the show in a couple years and was planning on going on Monday, but if it's that bad perhaps I'll save my $$$$ and do something else.

We were at the show on Saturday and I thought it was brilliant. Actually, I thought it was the same as it is every year, which is brilliant!

I had a fantastic chat with Charlie Wray and our pal Bernie at the Crestliner booth. Charlie must think me a complete knob (I'm sure Bernie thinks me a partial knob) because I ask him the dopiest questions. But he is the most approachable guy you will ever meet and he loves to talk about fishing, and the TV industry.

Did you guys know he has been doing his show for 19 years now? You really do get some fantastic input when you are able to talk one on one with a guy like that. Plus it fascinating to find out some of the goings on behind the production of a TV show.

While I am at it I am going to say that the Crestliner line up does not appear to have changed too awfully much (why mess with perfection) and I am also glad to report that they seem to have avoided the trend to more chrome and more faux leather in fishing boats. The Sylvan and Smokercraft boats looked like somebody pimped them up.

I also though that there might have been more sail boats (because of the price of gas perhaps?) than in the past as well as more pontoon boats.

Jim

Edited by Radnine

I also went down Sunday afternoon and totally enjoyed it. It was a nice break from the winter doldrums and the displays were great to look at......alot of knowledgable people there to answer all of my questions. Saw a little mini helicopter there for 2 people that would be great to drop in on some locked in Lakes around the cottage.

Was very impressed with the Grady White and Striper (Pro-Line) lineup of boats....they seem to come up with a few little new ideas every year and add to their already sought after boats.

I thought it was great value for the money (even after paying $12 for Parking)....where else can you see this many competitors together under one roof and so close to home.....the dealers were eager to haggle on prices also.

The opportunity to meet Bernie should far exceed the cost of entry... i would have gone down on the weekend, just to him, but had a 70th birthday bash to atend on Saturday and believe it or not, I got out fishin on Sunday!

Sorry I missed yah Bernie!

HH

LOL.

Jim, you a partial knob? Ha, no, not at all.

I really enjoyed meeting you and having a good conversation.

Hopefully next time it will be in a situation where we can have more time to sit down and yak fishing.

Joe I was hoping you had the chance to swing by but your family would be disappointed if you missed your birthday party.

You look a little younger than 70 though, I would have said not a day over 65. :lol: