Foreign Objects in Fish

tapout

When I was fishing NYE I caught a perch with what appeared to be either a "growth" or it looked like an "injury" with a piece of skin/flesh hanging off. Wasn't a big thing but I decided to examine closer when I was home and cleaning up the fish. When I rinsed off the perch I looked at this thing and it wasn't an injury or growth. It was a small sliver of clear plastic, kinda like what ziploc bags are made of which the perch ingested and was folded over one of its gill plates and one end of the plastic was sticking out through the gill opening.

Was a reminder to me that even the smallest piece of pollution can have an effect.

So PLEASE bring back EVERY piece of refuse you take out into the wilderness or waterways and also any other garbage you see left behind from less responsible people.

So what have any of you found in any fish that shouldn't be there?

I caught a pike with my lure in its mouth. I'd broke off on the same fish 3 days earlier. It hit the exact same lure again though, and I got my first one back!!

I've also broke off a jig on a walleye, only to re-tie, drop my new one back in, and catch that same fish that just broke me off, with my jig still in its yap!

And they say fish are smart.........HAH!!

S.

I had a brown cough up a cigarette butt a few weeks back. I've also had the same thing happen to me a few times that happened to sinker, with pike and salmon. Always nice catching a fish and a bait at the same time.

although not in the stomach its close lol..

well after fishing walleye here on quinte for 30 + years ive thought id seen alot of wired things,but this past spring while fishing at night i lost a nice eye on a cc shad which broke me off ,minutes later my bud does the same thing

we joked about it being the same fish then went home only to return to the spot at 10pm the next night(figuring more eyes had moved into the area) on my 3 cast i hooked into a decent one,after a short fight i boated a 7 1/2 lb walleye,nice clean eye,after freeing the hook i pulled the lure away from its mouth only it would not come,i grab my flashlight and noticed my hook had hooked another cc shad in its mouth,and to my :w00t: ,there were 2 and yes indeed it was the eye both my bud and i lost the night before.

both cc shads were the same as we lost the night before.

also while ice fishing i iced a 9-10lber with a rocket in its mouth ,funny thing was it was the same lure i was using at the time

be safe out there

Hawg Hunter

Edited by Hawg Hunter

I caught a rock bass once and I noticed something hanging out of his butt. Checked it out and saw it was a piece of fishing line about six inches long. So I gently tugged on it and it started to come out until I saw the shaft of a hook start to protrude. Grabbed it with my forceps and managed to wiggle it out. He sure looked happy when I let him go. :)

I caught a rock bass once and I noticed something hanging out of his butt. Checked it out and saw it was a piece of fishing line about six inches long. So I gently tugged on it and it started to come out until I saw the shaft of a hook start to protrude. Grabbed it with my forceps and managed to wiggle it out. He sure looked happy when I let him go. :)

You tore him a new basshole! Bahaha! Sorry but that is some funny right there!

I never found anything cool in stomachs. Found a few lures and hooks in mouthes before.

I hear those salmon running into the tribs have a lot of jewellery hangin' from them, maybe I should try my luck.

Edited by Dozer

Fishing in Barrie marina for perch 3 falls ago. My float goes down and I set the hook. Reel in a 10 inch perch. Go to take it off the hook and notice my jig head hook is hooked through the eye of a huge arse hook stuck in the perches mouth. So I hooked a hook that was hooked in a fish....good chance I'll never do that again.

Winner, featured in GLAnger magazine but I've seen a few brought into Pt. Credit in exactly the same shape, so it's not exactly uncommon.

Trout-Dipsy.jpg

That's the ring from a Dipsy Diver that's come off and slipped over the fish's head. :blink:

dipsy-diver-o-rings.jpg

I caught a 46 lb Blue cat that when you shook it it rattled. After unhooking it it left a few mussel shells come up. I then checked with a few other fisherman and found it was pretty common. They root them off the bottom and swallow them whole and let the stomach acid open them. Then they pass them from one end or the other to get rid of them.

Art

Caught a Lake Trout and found a Dinger in its belly, I doubt it would ever digest that.

Caught a walleye about 5 lbs with a large leader through its gills to act as a fish stringer I guess. It was late fall and the fish was definitely not in great shape, so I kept it. Should have let it go with the hopes that it would have lived; the meat looked horrible, so that thing must have been in there for quite some time.

Caught a tiny smallie on a dinger with a shad rap hanging from its mouth.

This is not quite as spectacular as some of the previous posts but i think its pretty funny. Was out rainbow fishin and was chattin with a guy who said he had brought in an 8-9lber but it broke'em off right at the bank. He went on to tell me how much he likes floatin those pinks worms and always uses a red hook and what not. about 10 mins later i hooked and landed a nice 5-6lb rainbow at best. Sure enough there was a nice pink worm with a red hook right there in its yap. Kinda skeptical of any fish stories he told after that :D

Hmmm...must make cigarette butt shaped jigs....

I remember....a bunch of years ago, a guy wanted me to make some floating flies that looked like cigarette butts because he said that brook trout often ate his cigarette butts. Anyway, I made some using dark deer hair and white deer hair trimmed short. They worked great but the trout up here in my region will jump on any fly that lands on the water...lol.

I also told the guy to quit tossing his butts in the water because it's a sure way to kill a trout due to the fact that the filter stays in the trout's stomach.