Fishnwire

Which hand crank?  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer?

• crank on right side of spinning reel/crank on right side of casting reel
    • crank on right side of spinning reel/crank on left side of casting reel
    • crank on left side of spinning reel/crank on right side of casting reel
    • crank on left side of spinning reel/crank on left side of casting reel

This has probably been done here before, but I don't remember seeing it so here goes. Which side do you like your hand crank on your spinning and casting reels. I'm right handed and I like to crank my spinning reels with my left hand but prefer my right hand to crank my bait reels with.

What about you guys?

Left side for spinning for sure.

I thought I needed left side for casting too so I bought a lefty. I liked it and I got along fine with it. Then I tried a righty caster and liked it too. So I guess I don't care. I can't jump back and forth easily. It takes a little warmup, but it's ok.

JF

I cast with my right and reel with my left on all reels. Years ago when I was fishing alot of bass tournaments I came up with a bright idea to switch and reel with my left to eliminate fatigue from casting all day. by eliminating the exchange of the rod from right to left hand after every cast seemed to help and I have stuck to it ever since. But its no problem if i'm using someone elses gear and have to reel right handed.

Cranking right/right for me, cast with either arm.

Back in the old days, I was the guy with the spinning reel upside down to retrieve. The very first time I saw a spinning reel with left/right handle I rushed out and bought it. Oddly enough, I rarely use one now. Baitcast 80%+ for me.

If I tried to cast left-handed I'd probably toss the rod into the water.

Casting right-handed and reeling with the left for any kind of rod just seems like the natural thing to do. My right hand is my natural control hand and so probably the most sensitive to nibbles and taps.

JF

Personally, for some reason I am not comfortable cranking right with a spinning reel!

I always convert my fly reels to left hand crank...it just seems logical and easier that way. I own both left and right handed baitcasters, but find the right hand reels more convenient.

I have said this before, but this is the season for rerun's so why not repeat it?

Back in the olden days, there was no free spool option on most baitcast reels.

This meant that the handle was always in gear and spun backwards as the line went out.

This is the reason that level wind reels for right hand casters always cranked with the right hand.

With the crank on the right, it was safely away from the body during the cast. If you also twisted your wrist slightly to the left, and gripped the rod handle the way you would grip a tennis racket, you gained more flex in the wrist, and thus more power. This also changed the plane of the reel handle from horizontal to an angle of about 45 degrees up and away. A location where it was even less likely to snag anything.

Is this still a concern? For maximum distance perhaps, for short casting, not so much...

I see many pro's using left hand reels to flip and pitch. Since none of the backward wrist flex issues come into play with these casts it makes sense, if you're comfortable doing it.

Yes there is a right and wrong way to do it!

If you're right handed, you should hold the rod and cast with your right hand and crank with your left... vice versa for lefties.

I kinda feel sorry for folks that are so uncoordinated that they can't do simple tasks like making small circles with their nondominant hand... kinda. :rolleyes:

If you have to switch hands after cast to reel, you should consider a tether in case you drop your reel or get a big fish hit while changing hands!

I'll be holding a casting seminar at the next June OFC G2G! :P