Ice auger adaptor for portable drill

splashhopper

I saw this mentioned on another board.... i know... this is the ONLY board,,, but hey... i was bored...

I already own an 18 v lithium powered hand drill( 2 batteries) and wonder if adapting an auger would actually work.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks

Splashhopper

Edited by splashhopper

Just look at that punky spring ice he's barely drilling through. Leave the hand crank on ! .. or buy a proper power auger.

Not sure I am gonna be "hooked" on ice fishin yet....

so i want to keep the costs to a the bare minimum this year.... slow season for work is winter time for me too B)

I got a free drill that works great so I had my cousin cut a small part off the internal part of the grip and fabricate a bit for a 3/8 dril. I'll let you know (if you want) how it works out.

let me know....

I don;t think I will be on ice thicker than8-12 inches.... Local conservation areas to start I think

let me know....

I don;t think I will be on ice thicker than8-12 inches.... Local conservation areas to start I think

Sure, will do.

All he did was cut off the bottom portion of the handel that goes in the shaft of the auger and welded a 3/8 drill bit into it. Not to hard at all if you can weld... How does it work, we will see...

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe I am a bit late, just want to give my one cent.

I bought a 6" drill, I made an adaptor out of a metal bar. 19.2V Jobmate drill powered by two 12V UPS battery connected in series which equals to 24V DC.

Consulted a professor, specialized in AC and DC motor and generators, for this configuration and was told o.k. if don't run too long and stuck for too long.

I brought it to Barrie for perch. Drilled 6 holes with ease, drill didn't burn, neither the battery. 3-5 inches ice. The only problem was that I didn't get a little warmer from drilling, I still need to run about to keep warm after that. :D

Here are the pictures, if you can't read, please don't read. :D

As you can see, I kept my batteries in a warm bag. This is very necessary on ice.

http://chineseanglersclub.ca/forum/dispbbs...7958&page=1

Below is my second DIY for an auger adaptor, using an impact wrench adaptor. I tested this twice but proved not working well. The so called impact wrench adaptor is a joke, plus the connections make the proccess very shaky.

Here is my second approach. Again, focus on the pictures, not the words.

http://chineseanglersclub.ca/forum/dispbbs...7966&page=1

Thanks

Edited by muer

I diss agree with it being a bad idea. But i dont disagree with not buying an adapter make your own..

All i did was cut three inches of the bottomw of my handle off at the first notch no one uses them set that high.. Then i took a socket extention cut off the big part and had it welded onto the small piece of the handle.

You need a high priced drill or its a waste of time cheaper ones wont cut it.. I can get about 25 holes out of three batteries.. Thats with 12" ice

- I see you have lithium batteries thats what i use.. Cant beat them. I have been banging the idea around my head of plugging the inverter into the quad and running it with a power drill :canadian:

Edited by Curtis

:lol: Hahahaha! Boring, Get it? :lol:

Actually, I think this is a good idea. I remember my Dad giving up ice-fishing because he was 'getting to old to drill all those holes' with his hand auger and he didn't want to get a power one. He would have loved this .

The secret to using a drill to punch holes is use a a top quality comerical drill, I mean a $350-$400 dewalt pro 1/2" 18 volt drill, with this unit you can punch 10-20 holes and still have a drill. Cheaper mastercraft 18 volts will just blow up under the pressure of a 8-6" auger, do yourselfs a favour dudes buy a freaking auger, to drill with a drill you can buy an auger for the same price and trust me if I got a sweet $350.00 dewalt drill the last thing I want to do is smoke it drilling ice. Buy a auger there built for ice fishing thats the whole deal

I saw this mentioned on another board.... i know... this is the ONLY board,,, but hey... i was bored...

I already own an 18 v lithium powered hand drill( 2 batteries) and wonder if adapting an auger would actually work.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks

Splashhopper

Why bother for about 50 bucks you can get a manual auger.And when your drill is burnt out then youll probably kick yourself for using it in the first place.If you can weld then make a spud/chipper like I did.Apiece of 1"flat bar,1 piece of rebar and a piece of round bar.Foam on the handles to absorb shock.As I use it for my driveway too.