Is it worth 21,800. Help

bigredfisher

i wont be in ontario for the show otherwise i would be going. I want to have a boat picked out to take a look at. No one has said anything about that one that i am very interested in. I understand it is used but it is used very lightly and there is still a warranty so i think that it would be ok. I would like to know from you guys becuase some of you may have bought a few boats in your time. Im sure there are a few boat delers and mechanics around which would know what the price should be. That is why i come here and yes i am taking advice from you all as i just turned down the last boat because of OFC's help. I want to find a good deal if it takes time "so be it" but i am in the looking -buying mode right now and i will be jumping quickly on a boat if the price is right, and that is why i come here to post the boats that i find that i like. Then to get an opinion about it. Isnt it what this forum is about? I must say that everyone has been really good and i hope that i may still be able to get some help here. If you guys find anything that may be worth me looking at please feel free to post the link.

FYI - I DONT WANT TO BUY FROM THE STATES. I dont want it. I am sure i may find a few deals there. But i am a newbee when it comes to that and i just am not comfortable buying from the states. canadian only. Thanks

why do these keep coming up from you? cant we just lock down the thread after we hear that he needs advice on the same boats 27 times...... :dunno:

first its no passport, then only canadian, then out of town for the show, what next?

this is just getting carried away....AGAIN

Lots of us have said plenty about the boat...such as don't buy it without driving it, take it to a qualified marina and get it looked after. Some have said pass on it completely. No one has said GO BUY IT. Which is what you want someone to say.

So here it is in a nutshell. IMHO you are taking a huge risk buying this boat, but you have made up your mind and are just trying to get someone to agree.

You have made excuse after excuse to not look elsewhere or go to the Boat Show or the Spring Fishing SHow or the Sportsman Show.

Buy the damm boat. Take your chances that you pissed away 20 grand when you could get so much more for the same cash. Its your money...do what you want. But for the love of gawd stop asking the same questions and putting up roadblocks.

None of us will be in the boat or making the payments..you will. Can you live with that risk? I would not pay more than 16K for that boat no matter what. You don't even know if there is compression in the cylinders!!

OK, first off if you have nothing positive to add why do you even bother posting or looking at the post all together. The guy is obviously just trying to get an honest opinion because he just doesn't wanna make the same mistake I MADE!!! Blew 16 G's!! on a boat after looking at it twice....after i REPLACED: the motor, the steering, the trim, and the trolling motor.....the thing runs great......$35000 later......

Darryl, you know who this is.....buddy take my advice.......BUY A NEW BOAT!!!!!!......warranties and boats are a blessing...don't make the same mistake i did.......even if you throw $20 G's on a new boat worth twice that, it'll be loaded to the T * * 's and covered by warranty.....give me a call when you get in and we`ll go look at a few if you want......talk to you soon bud.

OK, first off if you have nothing positive to add why do you even bother posting or looking at the post all together. The guy is obviously just trying to get an honest opinion because he just doesn't wanna make the same mistake I MADE!!! Blew 16 G's!! on a boat after looking at it twice....after i REPLACED: the motor, the steering, the trim, and the trolling motor.....the thing runs great......$35000 later......

Darryl, you know who this is.....buddy take my advice.......BUY A NEW BOAT!!!!!!......warranties and boats are a blessing...don't make the same mistake i did.......even if you throw $20 G's on a new boat worth twice that, it'll be loaded to the T * * 's and covered by warranty.....give me a call when you get in and we`ll go look at a few if you want......talk to you soon bud.

Effective oversight is not always positive. We have been trying to gently to push him away from this deal. And you are saying the same thing we are....don't buy the boat. He ain't listening.

Just buy the bloody boat and get it over with. Let us know next season after you have ran it a couple of times how great a deal it was.

You have received good sound advise but like Rick said, you just want someone to agree that it is a good deal so you can justify your decision.

Don't know if you have 20 G's burning a hole in your pocket or if you are borrowing the coin, not my business or my problem but I will quote what my father once said to me. "If you have to borrow the money to buy a new car you probably can't afford it but if you insist on going in the hole then at least buy a new one, so you will have some guaranty of quality." In my opinion a boat is much the same as a car, however a car does get you to work so you can make the money to pay for your dreams.

I may not have a fancy big boat with a lot of neat toys attached to it but it is paid for, bought it new in '05, boat, motor, trailer, custom cover and a fish finder. I purchased it in the fall with a down payment and no loan but had it all paid for in cash when I took delivery the following April. That was the agreement, a deposit and as long as it was paid out in full by delivery it was mine. Just loved dropping by the dealer throughout the winter with a grand or more cash in hand every once in a while to pay them.

im not buying the boat, because of your advice. I am taking all the advice i can, that is why i am asking. I will be looking aswell. I would love to take it for a test drive but unless i drive to the niagra i dont think that is possible. Unless some ramps on ontario dont freeze, any suggestions?

I have passed on that boat which is what i was suggested to do. Trust me i am listening and taking all the advice i can. Im am not trying to wait for the advice i want to hear. I am looking for the real truthfull answer. I am about to spend 20 k on a boat so that is why i am being a lil picky here... wouldnt you??????.

i do want to make this clear. I have looked at new boats and cant find a package deal or even try to make my own. It all works out to be over 20 k.

i would like to find everything included for 20k downriggers, gps, kicker, radio, vhf. the boats that were suggested to me are 20k and dont have anything. I could easily put 10 grand into that and i cant do that.

so please let me know your suggestions..... i am listening and taking all the advice i can.

ps: if you come across anything that seems like it fits what i want. Please feel free to post the link. thanks

ps: I am not borrowing the coin. I already have it. Just to let you know.

Edited by bigredfisher

i just came from dropping off our boat at the Legend dealer and was having a look around. they have some pretty sweet 18-20' boats out there ready to fish with riggers, rods, trolling motor, full enclosures for anywhere from 18500-25000 and there all BRAND NEW! i think id be having a look around

I've heard so many horror stories about this particular boat and dealer.

People are saying to wait for the boat show and to buy new. Asking why the rush? Here's a couple thoughts:

1) People are selling boats now because they don't want to store for the winter or are in desperate financial straits. Now is the time to take advantage of them - as crass as that may sound. It's a negotiation, you want every tool at your disposal to get the price down. A couple thousand can buy a lot of goodies for the boat.

2) Buy new? NEVER. I will let someone else take that first and biggest depreciation hit. I have nothing against the boat dealers or used boat sellers of Ontario/Canada, but I always buy south because I'm not a rich enough person to be spending $25K for convenience when I can get it for $20K by making a road trip. The dollar is strong enough now to make it a no brainer. The variety and number of used boats in the states also fosters price competition, offers colour/motor/feature selection and thus you are better able to "shop around" in the comfort of your office chair.

3) Boat show deals. Are there some decent deals available? Yes. Do they take advantage of the fact that DEMAND is at a peak during the show while supply remains relatively stable? Yes. They count on the emotion of you seeing a bunch of other people looking at "your" potential boat and hope it will be a mitigating factor in your signing on the dotted line. It is a good place to go and look at a bunch of different models and such, but if you know what you are looking for, I don't think it is the best bet.

Just my personal opinions from having been in the boat market 4-5 times in the past decade.

As far as the boat listed on this thread, I'd pass on it. Much better deals to be had.

Also, not saying it's the case for bigred, but some people cannot get a passport and some people just don't want or need one. For me, it's a necessity for the NY bass season, but I'd also say it is worth it for a one-time trip to pick up a boat. Grab a buddy, make a weekend fishing trip out of it. You get good times and save a bundle on a boat.

The best boat shopping/browsing site I've found is boattraderonline.com

Hang in there Bigredfisher and be patient. I don't think the boats will be flying off the sales market at this time of the year. You shouldn't miss out on one if you are waiting to think about the deal, and if you do miss out, another will come along. Nothing wrong with asking for advice here, especially with some of the scams that are showing up on other websites.

BUY NEW.

For sale, Used boat.

16 footer in good shape. Low hours on engine.

Store inside and professionally winterized.

Never abused.

This is some what the ad I used to sell my last boat.

The people that know me are laughing right now. :D

BUY NEW.

For sale, Used boat.

16 footer in good shape. Low hours on engine.

Store inside and professionally winterized.

Never abused.

This is some what the ad I used to sell my last boat.

The people that know me are laughing right now. :D

Cant believe you didnt sell it to me Paul. :lol::rolleyes:

People are saying to wait for the boat show and to buy new. Asking why the rush? Here's a couple thoughts:

1) People are selling boats now because they don't want to store for the winter or are in desperate financial straits. Now is the time to take advantage of them - as crass as that may sound. It's a negotiation, you want every tool at your disposal to get the price down. A couple thousand can buy a lot of goodies for the boat.

2) Buy new? NEVER. I will let someone else take that first and biggest depreciation hit. I have nothing against the boat dealers or used boat sellers of Ontario/Canada, but I always buy south because I'm not a rich enough person to be spending $25K for convenience when I can get it for $20K by making a road trip. The dollar is strong enough now to make it a no brainer. The variety and number of used boats in the states also fosters price competition, offers colour/motor/feature selection and thus you are better able to "shop around" in the comfort of your office chair.

3) Boat show deals. Are there some decent deals available? Yes. Do they take advantage of the fact that DEMAND is at a peak during the show while supply remains relatively stable? Yes. They count on the emotion of you seeing a bunch of other people looking at "your" potential boat and hope it will be a mitigating factor in your signing on the dotted line. It is a good place to go and look at a bunch of different models and such, but if you know what you are looking for, I don't think it is the best bet.

Just my personal opinions from having been in the boat market 4-5 times in the past decade.

As far as the boat listed on this thread, I'd pass on it. Much better deals to be had.

Also, not saying it's the case for bigred, but some people cannot get a passport and some people just don't want or need one. For me, it's a necessity for the NY bass season, but I'd also say it is worth it for a one-time trip to pick up a boat. Grab a buddy, make a weekend fishing trip out of it. You get good times and save a bundle on a boat.

The best boat shopping/browsing site I've found is boattraderonline.com

Charles ,all good info,BUT,you know what yer buying.Like you said,(been in the boat market 4-5 times in the past decade) Even if you do buy Champion boats.LOL J/K.