Beer and boats

Cookslav

Curiosity has the best of me and perhaps this topic has been done before but for myself this is a bit hazy...

Maybe there are others who would like to know as well?

I could be wrong but,

Can I not drink a beer, while not under power, and at anchor?

If I'm not driving, not over the limit, not under power or mobile.

Especially in say a canoe or non motorized water craft?

Or a water craft with only an electric motor....is this grounds for DUI?

I'm not talking about getting crap faced and operating a boat

I'm saying one beer, while at anchor in a non motorized boat.

If this is indeed illegal how do the rental house boats get away with being allowed to drink while at anchor?

Or any boat parked in a Marina, or anchored in a back bay some were

Just curious how that works?

Under the criminal code, the vessel has to have kitchen/bath facilities, sleeping areas and cannot be moving

Here in the States you need a boat with a head /kitchen and berth.

Art

You are correct Uncle Artie!

If you boat doesn't have those 3 requirements you can and will at the very least be charged with violating the "open container" law, the same as driving on the road!!!

I'm pretty sure this law applies to most if not all states.

Interesting fact

60% of all fatalities on the water are alcohol related and these fatalities were from falling overboard while URINATING THEIR LAST ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGE!!!! :oops:

So guys drink up if you want to risk becoming a marshmellow, thats what the rescue people call you after you have been submerged for a few week or so. Hopefully you would pop up to the surface after a day or so from bloating but if it's too deep and real cold water you will not be found possibly, all for a BEER. :stretcher:

Hardly seems worth it if you have a wife and kids to come back to. :w00t:

Why not get a really fast boat and get your thrills from that, I know that a 20 minute run at 70 plus mph in my boat is better than any drink I ever had. :thumbsup_anim:

And speaking of governments that want to treat you like a child, thats what was elected, a legislating liberal agenda meant to label everyone a possible tax cash cow throuygh fines levies and user fees. At least the conservatives let you die first before they introduced legislation to limit each persons personal freedom. :jerry:

I'm OK if you personal freedoms don't infringe on mine. :clapping::asshat:

Interesting fact

60% of all fatalities on the water are alcohol related and these fatalities were from falling overboard while URINATING THEIR LAST ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGE!!!! :oops:

Why not get a really fast boat and get your thrills from that, I know that a 20 minute run at 70 plus mph in my boat is better than any drink I ever had. :thumbsup_anim:

I'm OK if you personal freedoms don't infringe on mine. :clapping::asshat:

I wonder what percentage of fatalities on the water are a result of excessive speeds. I'd feel safer on a body of water full of drunken canoeists than I would if there was one sober guy out there in a speedboat flying around doing 70.

I wonder what percentage of fatalities on the water are a result of excessive speeds. I'd feel safer on a body of water full of drunken canoeists than I would if there was one sober guy out there in a speedboat flying around doing 70.

Less than 10% and I was wrong as to the percentage falling overboard it's closer to 75% and 40% of the fatalities invloved alcohol, so there are more drunks out there than we know. B)

And to say I'd rather see a a bunch of drunks out canoeing than a controlled boat going fast driven by an experienced SOBER driver scares me. :lol::P

It's a bass boat just to get the record straight and you'd look good out there surrounded by all those drunken canoeists but you'd probably be spending more of your time pulling them from the water than actually enjoying yourself on the water. ;) Have you ever tried to piss from a canoe when your intoxicated. The water looks awfully deep and cold. :P You missed my point obviously :rolleyes:

Just for the record...

There are a lotta points being missed LOL....

(Lots folks are passionate about this one I see)

The thread I started refered to "a" Beer in a non motorized boat...not being smashed drunk in a canoe, and trying to pee :D

Thats something different all together, but point taken.

I watched the Canadian Cops show once last year on TV and the OPP were catching everyone in canoes that came around a bend on The Grand River near London Ontario.

They took ALL the alcohol, including the unopened ones and dumped it on the ground.

One woman started to argue with a cop and say that they were unopened and why would they be pricks like that.

That's when the female officer told her that she could also strip search her if she thought she was under the influence of other substances.

It was fun to see actually. The guys were WAY more level headed then the mouthy girls.

You girls need to smarten up when you're out drunk in public. Too mouthy sometimes.

They all got warnings on public drunkenness but also large fines for open liquor in public.

That's the law.

I almost died in a paddleboat a couple of summers ago. They are very tippy with only one person...especially when your drunk buddy sitting on the dock decides to grab a corner. Darn thing flipped over and landed on my head...knocked me cold and gashed me for a dozen stitches. I still remember sinking to the bottom before my friends pulled me out.

Sit on top kayaks are much more stable...especially when no beer is in play.

I have had the privilege of having the only cottage on a small-med lake near parry sound for my entire life. Even since slightly before being of legal drinking age, I have enjoyed various quantities of beer out on the water. Legalities are the last thing I'm thinking about while fishing and drinking, but safety is always a concern. I never drink to the point where I put myself or others at risk by driving the boat into a rock or something. The best part is, if officials ever decided to randomly search this needle in a haystack, I could be back on my dock before they parked their truck by the launch. Id love to share the location of the lake with yall, since its the best smallmouth fishing Ive ever seen, it wouldn't be in my best interest :D

I have had the privilege of having the only cottage on a small-med lake near parry sound for my entire life. Even since slightly before being of legal drinking age, I have enjoyed various quantities of beer out on the water. Legalities are the last thing I'm thinking about while fishing and drinking, but safety is always a concern. I never drink to the point where I put myself or others at risk by driving the boat into a rock or something. The best part is, if officials ever decided to randomly search this needle in a haystack, I could be back on my dock before they parked their truck by the launch. Id love to share the location of the lake with yall, since its the best smallmouth fishing Ive ever seen, it wouldn't be in my best interest :D

Honestly none of us want to know the lake... seeing as how it is full of intoxicated boaters.... (you)

G

I watched the Canadian Cops show once last year on TV and the OPP were catching everyone in canoes that came around a bend on The Grand River near London Ontario.

That's funny they must have been really hammered to get anywhere near London on the Grand River. :wacko:

Sure you don't mean the Thames River?

Just for the record...

There are a lotta points being missed LOL....

(Lots folks are passionate about this one I see)

The thread I started refered to "a" Beer in a non motorized boat...not being smashed drunk in a canoe, and trying to pee :D

Thats something different all together, but point taken.

i think your original question was answered about 71 times, by 27 different people. it seems to be the only point being missed is regardless of how many beers, anchored or not, non motorized or not, crap faced or not, you can't drink beer in yer boat.

you can't drink beer in yer boat

Unless your willing to pay $110 fine and dump your beer out "if" caught of course.

You won't loose your license or be charged with DUI for having a casual brew in a canoe, any more then you would sitting in a floating chair

or even sitting on the beach, or on the banks in a folding lawn chair for that matter.

Its not legal, but then again neither is J walking....

You'll get a fine, but your not going to loose you licence, have your insurance sky rocket, or spend time in jail.

A beer in a canoe may end up costing you $110 though...thats an expensive brew I tell ya :lol:

so let's take a look see here. you said you were looking for info as to could you have a beer in your non motorized boat. after 4 pages of responses and links to the actual govt sites that list the laws that govern the watereways, you are still arguing the case? why ask the question in the first place. it seems like you don't like the answer so you keep going hoping someone is going to say - "drink up cookslav, all those other guys were wrong". no one is telling you your boat will explode if you crack a beer, just that it is illegal - which was your question about 80 posts ago...... :wallbash::wallbash:

so let's take a look see here. you said you were looking for info as to could you have a beer in your non motorized boat. after 4 pages of responses and links to the actual govt sites that list the laws that govern the watereways, you are still arguing the case? why ask the question in the first place. it seems like you don't like the answer so you keep going hoping someone is going to say - "drink up cookslav, all those other guys were wrong". no one is telling you your boat will explode if you crack a beer, just that it is illegal - which was your question about 80 posts ago...... wallbash.gif wallbash.gif

Well,

It "was" a light hearted discussion but thanks for the Sermon Father smally...

Who's arguing?

Not me?

I'm not saying its legal bud...I get it :rolleyes:

Just saying its not gonna land anyone in jail.

You wanna have a beer in a canoe, then be prepared to pay $110

My appologies for replying in a freindly manner to a post I started

Take a valume dude,

Edited by Cookslav

You are correct Uncle Artie!

If you boat doesn't have those 3 requirements you can and will at the very least be charged with violating the "open container" law, the same as driving on the road!!!

I'm pretty sure this law applies to most if not all states.

No, not all states...it defers in each an every state with Texas as being by far the most liberal state........

I have fished Ontario for over 30 years with anywhere from 1 to several trips each year.....when I was younger we always had beer in the boat, especially in the afternoon or evening run........now I never have beer in the boat if I am going fishing, HOWEVER, I have had beer each year when I take my wife for a boat ride on the lake we are on that year.....we don't flaunt it or over abuse it be we do enjoy at least a couple beers each on these cruises...If and when I am caught and fined I will stop going to Ontario........hopefully this never comes.

good thread--was canoeing the Grand River Kitchener area with some buddies from Wilfrid Laurier a few years back

same deal--the local Coppers checked EVERYONES coolers at the bridge--poured the booze into the drink and off they went......

one young fella with little respect back talked the Cop---don't have a clue what happened to him--but pretty sure he was read the riot act--lol

HOWEVER, I have had beer each year when I take my wife for a boat ride on the lake we are on that year.....we don't flaunt it or over abuse it be we do enjoy at least a couple beers each on these cruises...If and when I am caught and fined I will stop going to Ontario........hopefully this never comes.

I have a hard time with your statement "If and when I am caught and fined I will stop going to Ontario" that your basing your decision to continue to come to our province on not being able to break our laws without consequences. My guess with an attitude like that you would most likely skip out the province without paying the fine also.

If you knowingly break a law you should be at least ready to pay the piper if caught and fined & not blame anyone but yourself.