If you were given a million dollars..... what would you buy

bigredfisher

First off I would pay off any bills / debts me or my family owe, as well as a I would buy a nice cottage for the hole family to use. and if i had money left over it would go somthing like this..

- 2010 Ranger 2010 Z21 Comanche

- 09/2010 Toyota tundra trd

- Fishing set ups

then if I still had some pennies left over it would go into the bank

One million dollars doesn't go as far as one might think. I'd probably blow half of it on frivolous crap and then invest the rest wisely on boats and fishing gear. ;)

But seriously;

We already bought our 'dream home', I would furnish it accordingly and finish the basement.

24'-28' walk around for Lake Ontario docked at Bronte

20' North River for Lake St. Clair docked at Thames River

An F115 Yamaha for my 18' Starcraft to keep in the garage

A new Suburban for myself

An E350 for my Wife (Mercedes, not an Econoline van!)

2 week family vacation

Bank the rest for education and retirement

I guess I've reached that age where I'm reasonably satisfied with my lot in life. Once upon a time I dreamed a younger man's dreams of wealth and independence but then I learned that wealth doesn't give independence. That sucked. So somewhere along the way I forgot those dreams of a windfall.

If I did however come into an unexpected extra million I might then be able to talk my wife into that Kawarthas cottage I'd like, a modest one, and a nice boat. Of course I'm not that old and staid that I wouldn't do my best to have the fastest boat on the lake. She doesn't need to know that though. We're pretty much set for whatever else we want. My car will haul the boat nicely. I guess with what's left over I'd make sure my son had enough seed money to run the business we started. The rest would just go into the retirement fund I suppose. Not a very exciting plan, is it? Well, except for the killer boat. :lol:

JF

I wouldn't buy a thing.. it would go in the bank where I would give myself a reasonable pension, and shut the alarm clock off for good. - I guess I would be buying peace of mind.

With a million bucks,ill buy a new boat,truck and toys.Take care of all the bills.Leave some for retirement.Then I would invite everyone on OFC for an all inclusive fishing trip for 2 weeks,all payed for, travel etc.Even wages.Why not.But for now ill buy a round of coffees.T H anyone?

I guess I've reached that age where I'm reasonably satisfied with my lot in life. Once upon a time I dreamed a younger man's dreams of wealth and independence but then I learned that wealth doesn't give independence. That sucked. So somewhere along the way I forgot those dreams of a windfall.

If I did however come into an unexpected extra million I might then be able to talk my wife into that Kawarthas cottage I'd like, a modest one, and a nice boat. Of course I'm not that old and staid that I wouldn't do my best to have the fastest boat on the lake. She doesn't need to know that though. We're pretty much set for whatever else we want. My car will haul the boat nicely. I guess with what's left over I'd make sure my son had enough seed money to run the business we started. The rest would just go into the retirement fund I suppose. Not a very exciting plan, is it? Well, except for the killer boat. :lol:

JF

A killer boat youd be great,I recently had a mercruiser dealer asking me If they could rebuild my motor.Instead of me doing it,and also to install a blower(supercharger).A 140 mercruiser with a blower,Ill eat bassboats with it.That would be a killer on my bowrider.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

a nice lund, a new truck, a new sled, a new quad, a new kevlar canoe, a home with a garage to store these new toys, and the remainder in high interest savings of some sort...

Hope you have 3 or 4 miliion already Vinnimon.. to take a few thousand of us fishing for 2 weeks ! Unless it's just a wall spot on a Lake O pier somewhere and tents... that you're offering ! lol
Bayfront park can hold a lot people,thousands.I would invite all I have seen on a reg basis on this forum.The root admins would have luxury suites,Of course.A hut and a coleman black cat. :lol: That should bring down the cost.

I think that I'm of the same mind as John on this one. My nest may not be as well feathered as John's but I can buy what I want/need...my needs are few. So, if someone wants my million, help yourself and Merry Christmas to you. :thumbsup_anim:

I think while the urge would be there to spend spend spend.. I would invest most of it in a high yield savings account and finally have the bank pay me! (damn you're service fees!) $1,000,000.00 @ 5% equals 60,000.00 a year in interest (if paid monthly)... compound that over ten years (while I work...) I now have 1,600,000.00 earning 5%...

$80,000.00 a year would be a comfortable retirement allowance. And I would be retired in ten years @ 43!

G

Or I would just buy OFC and sit here all day and night... and make you all call me Master and Overlord... it is a toss up..

Edited by Gerritt

A million wouldn't change much quick call to Skeeter for 2 boats (bass&muliti species) then Cady Esacalade and a corvette but most important no more winters.

Gerrit your plan has serious tax problems you will pay your marginal tax rate (46%) on high interest accounts. I buy bank stock that pays 5-6% div. plus power corp, power financial,riocan,Canada pipe. If you but the mil in these stocks 8 months ago your annual income would have been $70,000 - 23% tax = $53,000 for life.

And that's were the rest of the mil would go after queen bee gets her shopping fix.

Garnet

Edited by Garnet