Old outboard restoration

Bernie

Some of you may have seen the post I made back in the summer of the cedar boat I am fixing up this winter. I mentioned at that time I was looking for the same year engine as the boat.

There were a few old motors that have been collecting dust for as long as I can remember upstairs at the boat shop.

Saturday afternoon I went and literally dusted them off and found this Johnson QD-10. Someone gave it an awful paint job at some point in time.

P1030141.jpg

Before spending a lot of time restoring this one I decided to see if it would run first. Took the hood off and noticed that the coating on the ignition coils had somehow run off over the years and left goo all over it. There were no spark plugs in the cylinder head and that concerned me as it may have been full of bugs and dirt inside.

P1030146.jpg

There was this much dust under the hood, you should have seen the outside.

P1030147.jpg

I knew the first thing I needed was spark, so I started there.

Now this little engine was made in Peterborough in 1949 so you can imagine there are not too many parts available for these.

These are the old coils.

P1030148.jpg

Improvising can be a necessity so that's what I did.

The coils were bad, but I had heard that taking the coil off of a much newer model and combining it with the old coil metal laminate it could be made to work. It did :D .

Cleaned up the old breaker points, replaced a condenser and spark was fixed.

Now the fuel system is a concern because carburator parts dry out and crack, and are often specialized pieces. I took the chance and did not disassemble it at this time. Cleaned out the old glass filter and blew out the fuel lines.

Drained out the old gear lube (it was still clear) and refilled it.

Well sometime this morning (lost track of time, was having fun :) )

I dropped it into the test tank, hit the primer a few times and gave it a pull. One pull, awesome......

th_P1030149-1.jpg

It didn't pump water too well but it did enough to run it for a while.

Went looking in the parts room for a water pump and found one. It is the same as a mid 60's 10 HP. Put it in and it pumps well now.

I decided to restore this one, it may take a while to make it look good again. Original paint colours and decals are available on a website I found.

Peeled some paint off today, looks a little better now. :D

P1030154.jpg

Next is to tear it apart and go over it more thorough, and repaint as i go.

i want to do something like that with my older (but not as old as that one) johnson that i have, its a 9.5hp from the mid 60s iirc

i just have no idea where to start looking for parts for it. it runs, but it probably needs a water pump. and the lower unit needs to be resealed...needs some paint too

any idea where to find parts for something like that???

i want to do something like that with my older (but not as old as that one) johnson that i have, its a 9.5hp from the mid 60s iirc

i just have no idea where to start looking for parts for it. it runs, but it probably needs a water pump. and the lower unit needs to be resealed...needs some paint too

any idea where to find parts for something like that???

Dunner, the most common parts for those engines are still available.

Your local marine supplier should be able to get you most of those parts.

If you can't find them let me know, I can get them for you and we have several of those 9.5 in the derelict pile for parts.

Sinker, yes those seats will have to go.

This project is being done in the memory of my Grandfather who was still around in 1949, he passed away in 1950.

Never met him but the stories that I have been told I sure wish I had.

• 1 month later...

Here is an update on the motor project.

Well after a couple of paint ripples and masking tape problems this week I finally started to put on a couple of decals.

Few more parts and pieces to put on but it is nearing completion. Here's a look so far.

P1030217-1.jpg

P1030221.jpg

P1030222.jpg

P1030223.jpg

There is another outboard project going on in the shop.

This one is being done by Jim, who is planning on taking this one to the Gravenhurst Antique Boat Show this summer.

It's a 1958 7 1/2 Johnson. This one is going to be a beauty. I love those engines.

P1030203.jpg

P1030215-1.jpg