Car Experts HELP!!!

laszlo

I drive a 2002 Kia Rio.

I'm having an issue with my signal.

Sometimes it works, other times it doesn't.

2 weird details to note.

1) It seems to not work when it's cold outside. Been doing it for the last 2 cold seasons now but hasn't occured during the last 2 spring / summers.

2) When it's not working, I can turn the switch to turn on my dash lights and it triggers the signals

to come on. How weird is that?

Dealership says it 'could be' the multi-function switch and would cost around $650.00 parts and labour. The thing is they're not sure that that's the problem and say once they change it I could still have the problem. $650.00 later a new multi-funtion switch and still have the same problem? That would suck.

Anyone have any clue what the problem is or even heard of this occuring before???

Any help would be great.

Thanks Guys.

well, im not an expert but i know enough to get me by, wether this may help you or not i don't know but.... the van has a semi-similar problem, signal light goes all wonky, its reversed with the back up light on the passenger side which by the way is the only side with this problem. it has its moods where it wants to work right but is still reversed with the back up light 24/7. i have narrowed it right down to the "body control module" (i think thats what it is called) and it will cost about $250 for the part. they make these vehicles now that it makes it tough to be able to do anything with cause u dont got the right tools. my van is a 2001 oldsmobile silhouette, and the chevy venture and other GM made vans have that common problem. anyhow i hope i helped, try to check into that body control module. also see if u can find any helpful forums.

J.P.

well heres an idea guys, it deffinately sounds like an electrical circuit problem, look into the electrical, find computer componants, call a mechanic, see what they know. and if they dont sound like their right chances are, they arent lol.

Edited by bigredneck

If it only does it in the cold weather, it's probably condensation getting in and shorting something out (doubly so if the problem goes away on a long run whene everything has had time to get warm). I don't know the car you refer to in any detail but have a look in the engine compartment for black boxes containing relays like these http://www.reuk.co.uk/OtherImages/selectio...tive-relays.jpg and make sure there's no moisture in there. They are sometimes near the drains and if they are blocked up with leaves that can cause problems too.

I hate electrical problems with cars :wallbash:

2) When it's not working, I can turn the switch to turn on my dash lights and it triggers the signals

to come on. How weird is that?

If it works when you turn on the dash lights then just remember to turn them on. Lot cheaper than replacing parts in the steering column for sure.

Is the switch for your dash lights on your signal arm? If so it is most likely the multi-function switch.

Rick

If it works when you turn on the dash lights then just remember to turn them on. Lot cheaper than replacing parts in the steering column for sure.

Is the switch for your dash lights on your signal arm? If so it is most likely the multi-function switch.

Rick

Thanks Rick.

Problem is the hole dash light trick only works sometimes just like the signals.

The switch for my dash is on the signal arm.

Looks like it is the multi-function switch. Why does that thing cost so much?

As well as my suggestion about moisture, if the signals and lights are on the same 'stalk' you could just try replacing the stalk, it'd be less than $650 and if you fit it yourself, you can probably take it back if the problem remains (might want to check that though)

Have you done a Google to see if anyone else has the same problem on the same car? Could be a known problem.

The first line in your post answers the question sufficiently :lol:.

Sarcasm aside, find a Kia forum and ask on there, you would be suprised what you can find out. In the past I have noticed there is dealer techs on some car forums as well. Hope this helps.

Edited by Fish4Eyes

The first line in your post answers the question sufficiently :lol:.

Sarcasm aside, find a Kia forum and ask on there, you would be suprised what you can find out. In the past I have noticed there is dealer techs on some car forums as well. Hope this helps.

OUCH!!!

Your right though. It is time for an upgrade.

A big part of the cost will be labour. To change switch on many vehicles the steering wheel must first be removed then the column tore apart. Some vehicles may not need the wheel removed but still there is lots of labour getting to the switch and it's electrical connector further down in the column. Care must also be taken around the airbag system if in the wheel. On lots of vehicles the stalk(arm) can not be changed by itself but instead the whole switch assembly must be replaced. Most times the problem is not in the arm but within the switch inside the column.

Time = money.

Edited by Woodsman

Tom Smith Chev Olds did the one on my '98 GMC Sierra last year... It was $625 for the arm/switch assembly and $165 labour to install it. Of course that wasn't what was really wrong with the windshield wipers... :wallbash::wallbash: It's the gear box neutral switch and clutch like I told them...

Sad that we're a remove, throw away and replace society now. What ever happened to guys that knew how to repair stuff and not todays replacement technicians.

Sad that we're a remove, throw away and replace society now. What ever happened to guys that knew how to repair stuff and not todays replacement technicians.

You got that right Wayne,

I bought a new Dodge Dakota pick-up in 2001 and in the next 3 years they replaced the multi switch 4 different times under warranty. I told them to stop replacing the stupid thing and figure out what's causing all the problems with it but they basically said it's easier to throw them out and stick a new one in again.

I got so fed up with taking it back in for repairs so many times on the same thing I sold it as soon as the warranty ran out.

Sounds like the Mechanical flasher module (cannot remember its exact name right now..) is sticking due to the cold weather.. It is usually located near the fuse panel.. I know I had problem on a minivan my GF has very recently..

I went to a wreckers and got a new multiswitch thing.... Nope...

It was the flasher..

Ohhh and you can get cheaper parts at the wreckers and do it yourself!

Anyways good luck!

Thanks Rick.

Problem is the hole dash light trick only works sometimes just like the signals.

The switch for my dash is on the signal arm.

does your signal stat(multy function switch) control everything that is going wrong.All to common on older vehicles.A main ground is where to start.If all functions that are failing,and share the same ground start there.A corodded harness,burnt wire in the plug, in the column itself can make an array of problems.Has there been a burnt fuse when this started happening,local to the column switchs?pm me I may have a friend to help you in your area.

I drive a 2002 Kia Rio.

Dealership says it 'could be' the multi-function switch and would cost around $650.00 parts and labour.

Could be? WTH? They have diagrams. I just looked at them. Simple circuit. All they have to do is TEST IT!!!!

Idiots!