Trapping & Hunting Report

LucG

Hello Everyone,

I just got back from a week off work that was spent trapping and hunting. I must say, I couldnt have picked a better week. Allthough it wasnt as cold as I wanted it to be for hunting, but it sure was nice for trapping.

My week started off Saturday morning, I decided to use the sunny morning to my advantage and get out and set some traps. I remebered to bring the camera, but since I was by myself, I rarely remebered to take it out. Here's a shot of a nice big beaver pond. That's their house on the bottom.

96091377.jpg

The next morning after sitting in my tree stand unsuccessfully, I decided to head out and check my beaver traps that I had set the day before, as well as set a few marten traps at the same time. Sure enough, I had a nice load of fur.

Here is the first beaver I caught, same location as the pic above.

73270963.jpg

7 beavers on a one night soak, I couldnt believe it!

67201394.jpg

This is where I spent most of my week off. I put so much effort into a little roof, and it didnt rain on me at all this year!

92406824.jpg

After checking my traps sunday, I let them sit for at least two days in between checks. My cousin really got into it last year, so I suggested he come down for a few days, I think he showed up 30 min after our conversation. This is what my second outting produced.

A nice marten.

36350160.jpg

The day's catch. Another 6 beaver, 3 marten and two muskrats.

58460239.jpg

A record size beaver (for me) It measured 45" long, and must have weight at least 45 lbs.

63063793.jpg

80713062.jpg

Here are a few other pics throughout the week.

Frosty beaver on a frosty morning

21249893.jpg

Cousin Rob with a beaver.

13761210.jpg

Scenes for the trapline. A beaver dam, their feed bed (pile of branches in the middle of pond) and their house, all the way at the back.

73340125.jpg

All those beaver have to be skinned, at about 35-45 min per beaver, you do the math.

16200579.jpg

FINALLY, two days before deer closed, after sitting in a treestand for countless hours, all week long, it finally paid off. We had 3 tags to fill, two does and a buck, and I was given permission to FILL EM!! So I did!

The perfect way to finishg off my week. A nice doe, and a decent sized fawn.

18775981.jpg

45034555.jpg

I had an amazing time, a week in the Bahamas couldnt have been better.

Hope you enjoyed the pics!

LucG

Edited by LucG

Nice post....I'm curious..are you saving up those beaver pelts to make a sweet pimped out fur coat???? Lol

Well I usually sell them at auction, but since the prices are going to be low this year, I was thinking of keeping a few. Not sure about a fur coat, but a nice hat or pair of mits would be nice. Keep me warm for when we can get out ice fishing!

After reading a few lines I don't know what happened I turned into a 12 year old boy and can't stop giggling

First beaver

7 beavers on a one night soak

Frosty beaver

record sized beaver

Love these reports and what wouldn't I give to tag along for a weekend. Looks absolutely top notch guy fun. That area has some huge beavers.

Dude, you are living the Sweet Life fo' sure!

I like to think so. Not everyone gets the opportunity to experience something like this, and I love taking people out and showing them what its all about. I'm glad yous enjoy the pics and report and thank you for your replys.

Guest Johnny Bass

Another impressive report. Looks like you will be eating well and got some extra Christmas money. I know you were saying that they sell for $50 a fur, but I didnt know you have to skin it. I thought you just gave them the entire beaver! Looks like alot of work, but like was said. Its an honest living and the fact that you enjoy it makes it all the more sweeter. Thanks for sharing.