Ling.

fishermccann

Does anyone know where close to the city that I can catch Ling. I hear there is some in Simcoe, but where would I have the best luck for them? I know that most ice fishermen don't target Ling , but I hear they taste good and I would like to give them a try, any ideas folks? Thanks.

They are generally in the deeper cooler lakes. However, some in the kawarthas, but tough to target. Mostly incidental catches. Simcoe is a big lake and again tough to target. Some of the lakes in Haliburton County might be a better bet and night time would be the time to target them.

Ling a ding ding!!!! That's a nice one!! Ling should be most active around mid-late feb. and early march, if I remember what I've read correctly. They actually spawn under the ice, in shallow, at night. Most people I've talked to that target them catch them at night, and use glow baits. If you hit up youtube, there's all kinds of crazy aqua-vu videos of them. I too want to go after them this year, as I've heard they're supposed to be delicious

I hear there's a few up on Lake of Bays. I also herd they have some sort of "Ling festival" up there for the locals or something.. I can't confirm that though.

I have personally never caught one, or seen one caught for that mater.

Good luck, and definitly post some pics if you catch one. They're a cool lookin fish.

Edited by F to the Is-H

I use to catch them through the ice up in Collingwood off the Pretty River in Feb-March in about 10 feet of water jigging a little cleo for rainbow trout/splake.....they would slowly come over to the lure and hit it with a fast spin of the head.....they were a fun fight as they rolled around the line.....once on the ice, they would stink to high heaven and we would toss them back down the hole.....wish we had kept some as people say they are fantastic to eat..."freshwater cod" was the term used....Good Luck.

No I didn't manage to find out anything about the getting it recongized, execpt the fish was ineligible cause I didn't document a witnesses and the girth. Got some estimates on the weight being 12-18 lbs.

Its back in the lake, so maybe I'll get another chance meeting with it.

We'd catch dozens each night ice fishing on temagami. My wife hand lined up 2- 10 lbers, hooked both at the same time on a 2 way spreader with a salted minnow.

Any of the hut operators on Temagmi can tell you there's no end to them when fishing at night. The scour the bottom in areas where the ice huts are as daytime chumming will attract them. I've caught 10's and seen a 14lb er on temagami but most are 3-4 lbs.

One of the nicest fish I've ever eaten. side by side just as good as walleye or perch. Great bear bait too!

Although I never targeted them on Simcoe if I were to it would be mid Feb. to mid Mar. just after dark. I would target a shoal area like Long Shoal or Cooks Bay Shoal. About 20 fow water near deeper water would be a starting point. Jig a glow in the dark spoon with a bottom live bait rig near by. Pre-baiting also helps. This system has worked for me on other lakes such as Cassels & Bark.

Another hint is if you have a partner near you have him pull in any nearby lines as ling will circle tangling all lines in range. If your by yourself keep your second line about 2/3rds the distance of the depth of water apart.

Rick

Dumb question here. Are these Ling related to the ones you find in the Atlantic Ocean? We used to catch Ling off the coast of Scotland. :dunno: Just curious.

One of the names for ling is freshwater cod. This is mentioned in "Freshwater Fishes of Canada" (Scott & Crossman) but there is no mention of a direct relationship between the two.

Ling liver oil is as good as cod liver oil. Burbot livers were canned experimentally in Canada and were found to be of high quality for things such as canapés.

Adult ling over 20" are voracious predators of other fish such as walleye, perch, drum, smelts and white bass.

According to the research for the book, the largest ling caught in Lake Simcoe was a 13 yr old female that was 33" long and weighed 9.5 lb.

They have been caught in depths up to 700 feet!

---

The ling we catch in Nipissing and Penage are a uniform dark brown.

One of the names for ling is freshwater cod. This is mentioned in "Freshwater Fishes of Canada" (Scott & Crossman) but there is no mention of a direct relationship between the two.

Ling liver oil is as good as cod liver oil. Burbot livers were canned experimentally in Canada and were found to be of high quality for things such as canapés.

Adult ling over 20" are voracious predators of other fish such as walleye, perch, drum, smelts and white bass.

According to the research for the book, the largest ling caught in Lake Simcoe was a 13 yr old female that was 33" long and weighed 9.5 lb.

They have been caught in depths up to 700 feet!

---

The ling we catch in Nipissing and Penage are a uniform dark brown.

33" is the record out of Simcoe???? dude, take a look at the pic of the Simcoe ling by one of our members... its more like 43"... maybe 45"