MONSTER 7+lb Rice Lake Smallie!!!

Slayingm

Well,

This is truly incredible. I have fished Rice for over 25yrs including 20yrs of Professional Bass tournaments on that lake and the very best I have every done was a 6.03lb smallie that won me Big Fish award in a tournament one year. I just had one of my last guide trips of the year on Rice and one of my clients nailed a 7.05lb Smallmouth on a black bucktail jig while fishing for walleye along a deep weedline adjacent to a hard botton in approx. 10' of water. We had already taken a nice walleye along this break when David yelped out 'Fishon'!. When I 1st saw the fish clear the water my jaw must have nearly dropped to the bottom of the boat as I new this fish was incredibly huge. After a long fight in the wind I finally slid the net upder the fish and into the boat... the 4 of us could not believe what we were looking at! On the scale the fished weighted 7.05lbs (and usually weights a little light) and was over 24" long and had a 16.5" girth. What a spectacular fish for a Kawartha lake. David new he had a trophy of a live time and after quick deliberation decided to keep the fish as he wanted a actual skin mount vs a replica. David is a big guy at 6' 2" and here is a pic of his monster smallie:

100_0516-e.jpg

Also, here is a pic of one of the nice Walleye taken....

100_0513.jpg

Great way to end the soft water season for another year. Looking foward to a little break now todo some bow hunting with my son before the hardwater ice fishing season starts.

Take care and good fish'n.... Greg.

I explain to people who are about to get into my boat what the catch and release policy is. If they don't like it, they can stay on the dock...and they're not allowed to fish off of that either. There is at least one guy who thought I wasn't serious about enforcement and he hasn't been invited back since. I guess if a professional guide did that it wouldn't be very good for business.

It was going to die soon anyways.... :stretcher:

You don't know that...it looked pretty healthy to me. That fish might have easily had a spawn or two left in it. Besides, even if it was about to die, it would probably have prefered old age to being air drowned. Since I didn't catch the fish, I have no say in what the person who did catch it does with it, but I know what I would have done.

The guy didn't break the law and is entitled to keep the fish if he wants. That's fine, but don't make excuses or act like he did anyone any favours by doing so.

Edited by Fishnwire

Folks,

Last time I checked MNR has got rules and regulations as to what we can and can not keep and also limits and size restrictions on some species, and by the person purchasing the proper license, he or she has the sole right to judge as to what they do with the fish. Yes, MNR even has rules as how should handle the fish.

We all have different thoughts on this matter but the decision of keeping a fish is solely the fisherman's who caught the fish and no ones else so why chastise the fisherman instead just saying wow nice fish.

Oh, by the way I practice catch and release about 95% of the time.

FLEX

Like someone mentioned earlier, he does this for a living and if he refused that the guest keep the fish, that guest would more than likely not come back for his services. Im sure slayingm would not of kept it if he caught it. Get off the guys back!

nice fish! A mount that he will always look at and remember.

Why do we feel the need to bash people's right to keep a fish? He didnt keep his limit of them that size...

Some people might need to have a glass of warm milk and take a nap!