Georgian Bay Steelhead

solopaddler

I normally shy away from the popular streams on a weekend but Sunday was just too tempting.

A big slug of rain had spiked the water flow up north. Looking at the Environment Canada flow rate graphs, the rivers shot straight up on Sat.

With no rain overnight and knowing these rivers clear and drop on a dime I knew Sun would be good.

Arriving in town well before sunup we grabbed a coffee and proceeded to check a variety of popular access points.

Many anglers had had the same idea as huge numbers of cars were everywhere.

A little disheartening but not entirely unexpected.

Fortunately almost 30 years of fishing this particular river has provided options. :)

We drove further up stream to another access and found some solitude and fish.

The morning was crazy, we put a large number of fish on the bank, all bright chrome and full of fight.

Twice I had fish hit so hard my float was ripped 3' sideways across current, pulling my rod arm forward in the process.

Just wild!

Fish were caught on a mix of white and chartreuse roe bags to start with. Once the water dropped and cleared by mid-day and more anglers arrived on the scene the fishing slowed considerably.

We scratched out a few more fish by scaling down tippet and hook size and switching up to both live and pink worms.

That's a great tip actually: If you know there are fish in front of you but they're not hitting, change things up.

Even if that's simply matter of tweaking your rigging, do something.

I don't have a ton of pic's, but did manage to snap a few:

GeorgianBaySteelheadNov109006.jpg

GeorgianBaySteelheadNov109002.jpg

GeorgianBaySteelheadNov109001.jpg

The glory hole. :)

GeorgianBaySteelheadNov109008.jpg

My buddy walking a fish downstream in the afternoon with 2 frustrated anglers in the background. :)

GeorgianBaySteelheadNov109007.jpg

Now is the literally the best time of year if you're looking to get out, I anticipate the first couple weeks of Nov all year long. :)

If anyone's interested the new reel is amazing. Startup is unreal and for a larger reel (it's 47/8") it's only 8oz in weight.

Very, very, very impressed!

Cheers, Mike

Nice Mike. Gotta love those fresh chromers. They are just angry.

What type of reel is that?

Jay it's a Riverkeeper, model is the "Frogwater". The builder is an Ontario guy, lives near Tavistock.

He made a run of 20 I believe with another due to start early this winter.

Somewhat similar to the Mykiss but lighter and the clicker mechanism is unlike anything I've ever seen.

You have one of those every Thursday!!!! :blink::blink::blink::blink:

Not true!!!!!! Unless I'm dragging my 2 wee ones along with me. :)

(If I fish on Thurs or Fri I have to pay for daycare)

I see ya got your new toy.. She looks great on that Rainshadow!! B)

Tried the new Lamiglas this weekend.. Couldn't put any bend on her, but she's just purrfect and will no doubt bring me many years of pleasure. ^_^

Twas good seeing you and the wee ones on Friday.

cheers

HD

Right on bud, glad to hear you got out with the new stick!

That's a great tip actually: If you know there are fish in front of you but they're not hitting, change things up.

Even if that's simply matter of tweaking your rigging, do something.

Thats so true. Nice fish and nice pics bro.

- Vick