Your disposable income

Jonny

The proposed Harmonized Sales Tax for Ontario is going to hurt big time. We're all going to lose disposable income to spend on "frills" like fishing and hunting.

I found a link to the National Citizens Coalition today and went there to try their HST Calculator. I added just a few variables (gas, electricity, heating and internet) and the attachment shows what I came up with.

It's not too late to make the government nervous about getting re-elected. Make some noise wherever you can!

http://nationalcitizens.ca/index.html

Don't just sit there and get shorn!

HST.JPG

Yep... that is part of the problem in our fine country... many have learned that they can live comfortably just staying at home and waiting for the welfare/mother's allowance/poggy cheques to appear thru the door. Why exert yourself if you don't need to...

We use to joke that it was the worst hereditary disease in Smiths Falls..

Edited by irishfield

Not sure why it is so imperative that this is introduced right now, just as the economy is beginning to recover.

Did you think the 80 billion dollars the federal and provincial governments collectively borrowed to 'stabilize' our economy would magically pay itself back? Tax increases and higher interest rates are a given. For those proposing to fight the HST, how exactly do you propose we pay that money back?

Get used to it! Tax increases are in the future. Bet on it! I see the tax free sales of principal residences being next on the chopping block.

Welcome to the new normal.

Did you think the 80 billion dollars the federal and provincial governments collectively borrowed to 'stabilize' our economy would magically pay itself back? Tax increases and higher interest rates are a given. For those proposing to fight the HST, how exactly do you propose we pay that money back?

Get used to it! Tax increases are in the future. Bet on it! I see the tax free sales of principal residences being next on the chopping block.

Sad...but true.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Taxes are a necessary evil. Does anyone REALLY think the government is just taking the money to screw people?..REALLY?

I'm not trying to start a pissing match. Just saying it's necessary and anybody who is an adult Canadian should have realized a long time ago that this is the way things are in Canada.

Suck it up or move.

HST, can't stop it why try. First they said its coming nothing can stop it, the wrote the rules so you can't change it even after a couple years.

The ran up 22 billion in debt -- got too pay that off.

Ok that being said what can you do..

Stop wasting money!! on pay rasies for goverment employee's that make too much SUNSHINE LIST ring a bell.

Stop stupid projects, Wasted a billion on a software program with nothing to show for it.

Start firing people at the top make not the workers s at the bottom

Do more with less.

There is no need to fire anyone worker, just stop hiring more

When the debt is paid off do you really think they will give it back to the people the took it from. NO they will just find some other way to pibble it away then take more.

I understand taxes are needed to run a country BUT since when does my taxes need to fund a stupid ass STUFF

Vote, Vote, Vote, TAX REVOLT is coming

Wow, this "I can't do anything" attitude that I see in some of the posts here is discouraging but not entirely unexpected. After all, that's the kind of thing our governments bank on --- apathy.

From the Ont. gov. site :

6. Would I end up paying more taxes?

The comprehensive tax package would give 93% of Ontario taxpayers an income tax cut, which would put more money in people's pockets. Effective January 1, 2010, the first provincial income tax rate would be reduced from 6.05% to 5.05%, making it the lowest provincial tax rate in Canada on the first $36,848 of taxable income.

The province would provide $10.6 billion over three years in temporary and permanent tax relief for the people of Ontario, and $4.5 billion over three years in tax relief for businesses.

A 1% tax reduction (6.05% to 5.05%) would result in a savings of $368, $110 less than the increased cost illustrated above for just a few HST-taxable items.

And doesn't the word "temporary" above scare you just a little?

In addition, if you think you'll get a flow-through savings from businesses, I think you're living in a dream world.

And why do you think McGuinty is shelling out "transition" bribes to taxpayers next year? I'm thinking "smokescreen", and sadly I think it just might work.

Its crap...

Its not as though they need more Tax money to pay off anything, its about mismanagement of the funds we already give them.

In this economic climate business has to cut back...we lay off, and restructure to survive

Ultimately what happens is as business returns those still employed work harder to make the company run until hiring more labour is seen as necessary.

This is a normal down turn cycle in any facet of business, regardless of the sector....unless your the premier

In his case he keeps things the same, and avoids the media to keep his job cushy, and easy.

When poop hits the fan instead of cutbacks and restructure, he puts on a dog and pony show about paying back a debt that is apparently none of his fault.

While I can freely admit he is not to blame for the economic state as a whole I do question what he attempted to do about it as it went down, and his logic about who is at fault, and how to fix it....

The issue is mismanagement not merely a federal spending debt.

Its almost as criminal as Municipal taxes...

You would think, the more homes we cram into a small place equals more tax revenue, and therefore less tax burden(i.e. maintenance) per street

But nope....

Instead it goes up and up each year.

Makes no sense what so ever.

Sad...but true.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Taxes are a necessary evil. Does anyone REALLY think the government is just taking the money to screw people?..REALLY?

I'm not trying to start a pissing match. Just saying it's necessary and anybody who is an adult Canadian should have realized a long time ago that this is the way things are in Canada.

Suck it up or move.

Wow. with that mentality it's no wonder we're screwed. :wallbash:

Yep, us taxpayers have a never-ending supply of money. :wallbash:

Yep... that is part of the problem in our fine country... many have learned that they can live comfortably just staying at home and waiting for the welfare/mother's allowance/poggy cheques to appear thru the door. Why exert yourself if you don't need to...

We use to joke that it was the worst hereditary disease in Smiths Falls..

I think you are out of line there Irishfield. A lot of people have no choice in the matter

We don't need it as a new normal. The new normal seems to be politicians being so used to lyeing that it is normal now. That crook McGuinty said NO New Taxes. This is a new tax..

I can understand the harmonizing part, but not at the same rate.

It wouldn't have to be on electricity if the people of Ontario still owned the power plants they are paying for.

And all the new ones we are subsidizing construction on for the big guys

Sad...but true.

Suck it up or move.

They are taking taxes to impress us with new spending...how much new spending do we really need? cripes, we are pretty comfortablenow. Maybe a little more on poverty, but a little less tax on some industries(forestry) wouldn't hurt.

That's why I like coming to OFC, you can be certain of a one sidedness on political issues that looks and smells like propaganda. What I read in the posts above has nothing to do with the rational of the government.

http://www.rev.gov.on.ca/en/taxchange/faq.html#q6

The government is handing you a line of crap...why do you insist on buying it

Yep, us taxpayers have a never-ending supply of money. :wallbash:

What's your solution? Tell our foreign creditors, "sorry, I know we borrowed that money to keep our economy from sinking into the abyss, but you'll just have to accept that we won't be paying you back"? Not going to fly.

Here's a life lesson you had best understand: There is no such thing as a free lunch.

People love to complain. If the government had done nothing, people would have been complaining. The government goes out and borrows money and then (oh the horror!) makes plans to pay it back, people complain. You better get used to it. We'll be paying this bill of for some time.

I think you are out of line there Irishfield. A lot of people have no choice in the matter

Not in the least in the context that I wrote it Dara. Sure there are those that have no choice in the matter... but as I wrote many have "learned" how to use the system.. and many of these learned from their parents.. and their parents parents. I could list dozens of families that went generation after generation... that never had to leave home to "earn" a living whether it was Welfare or Mothers allowance. They watched their parents milk it and realized it was a pretty darn good system. Now that was back in the day that the mother's allowance inspectors use to come around and if they even found a man's clothes in a closet the gal was cut off.. today that's against their rights.

Unemployment.. I won't even get into how many we hired only to find out that they needed just one more weeks work to qualify for a "year off" and come the following Monday we'd never see them again. :wallbash:

The government goes out and borrows money and then (oh the horror!) makes plans to pay it back, people complain. You better get used to it. We'll be paying this bill of for some time.

Actually the push to harmonize the GST began long before the recession --- years ago when the Liberals were in power in Ottawa. Quebec and the Maritimes harmonized quite some time ago. It's a bad idea that is hard to kill, and now McGuinty and whoever in BC (Campbell?) are pushing it. BC seems much further on the road to killing it through public outcry than we are in Ontario. I'm not sure why that is.

The only way to kill this in Ontario is to make the Liberals fear losing the next election.

Actually the push to harmonize the GST began long before the recession --- years ago when the Liberals were in power in Ottawa. Quebec and the Maritimes harmonized quite some time ago. It's a bad idea that is hard to kill, and now McGuinty and whoever in BC (Campbell?) are pushing it. BC seems much further on the road to killing it through public outcry than we are in Ontario. I'm not sure why that is.

The only way to kill this in Ontario is to make the Liberals fear losing the next election.

exactly Dalton's little project ,but there is no way of stopping this there has been several e-mail campains and they all get the same generic P-off response we will be paying this for the rest of our lives just like every other new tax .HST is supposed to "Save tax payers money"(from the e-mail sent from Daltons office)they have convinced them selves that this "needs" to happen and it will nothing the tax payer can do .I don't mind paying taxes it makes Canada Canada but I get sick to my stomach every year when I do my taxes and see how much I'm giving them