There Back!

pikeie

For the last few weeks or so the pink salmon have made there way up the St. Marys River rapids... they are in thicker then i would of thought considering there run last year. there average size is up too which is a nice bonus haha :thumbsup_anim: . And within the last week the kings have moved up and are in thick aswell! the other day i was out i landed 37 pinks and 4 kings lol :Gonefishing: . tonight was slower but my buddy got a nice steelie around 5 lbs. Anyways here are a few pics i would have more but my camera decided it was goin for a swim <_< .

DSCF3611.jpg

DSCF3612.jpg

DSCF3610.jpg

DSCF3614.jpg

For the last few weeks or so the pink salmon have made there way up the St. Marys River rapids... they are in thicker then i would of thought considering there run last year. there average size is up too which is a nice bonus

Nice photos and nice fish, encountered Pinks a few times down at Port Ryerse on Young's Creek.

If I remember correctly the Pinks are the result of a single accidental stocking back in the late 50's . For the longest time you would only get a run in odd numbered years, but as time has progressed a smaller run has developed in even years as well. Probably the result of their equivalent of Jack Chinnies, fish that spawn a year earlier than norm, it is thought that this is nature's way of diversifying the gene pool. This is an odd year so your observations would make sense.

You lucky buzzard! Those pinks are gorgeous. Good show :worthy:

When I was going through university, my after class (or in between class) haunt was the Humber river next to downtown Toronto. The number of snaggers, poachers, anglers with no sense of river etiquette, homeless people, shopping carts, drug dealers, people who enjoyed making out in their cars in the parking lot, teens who liked to throw rocks off high bridges at anglers and other shady characters rivaled that of the numbers of steelhead going up :lol:

Nice photos and nice fish, encountered Pinks a few times down at Port Ryerse on Young's Creek.

If I remember correctly the Pinks are the result of a single accidental stocking back in the late 50's . For the longest time you would only get a run in odd numbered years, but as time has progressed a smaller run has developed in even years as well. Probably the result of their equivalent of Jack Chinnies, fish that spawn a year earlier than norm, it is thought that this is nature's way of diversifying the gene pool. This is an odd year so your observations would make sense.

Yup, nice pictures Pikeie, and yes Dave, the accidental stocking took place up here in Thunder Bay. There was a small hatchery at the mouth of the Current River up here, and they accidentally dumped the entire stock into the river mouth. Don't know why they were raising pinks though, but back then, salmon were experimentally stocked into some inland lakes, so that could be the reason they were rearing them.

I have a couple of old stocking lists from way back which mention salmon in inland lakes, but not species specific, so it's hard to be sure if they were pinks or not. Anyway, it did not work successfully. No recruitment took place. And the accidental dumping of the entire brood stock was probably the demise of the program.

BTW Pikeie, they taste great, if they are still solid and even if they are darker colored. I have eaten my fair share of them in the past, just don't target them anymore when they are fresh into the rivers. I start river fishing for Coho's in late Sept. into early to mid Oct. Up here, the pinks are probably too far gone by now to be eatable.

Nice fish, I'm sooo jealous. The pinks were introduced, I believe, due to a power outage. A life or death situation but was blamed on a net failure or something like that. The St. Mary's id the only place in the world to catch the pinook.