Should We Make A Change

laszlo

Some may get all upset about this but I just wanted to throw it out there.

Who feels that fishing reports done on this board should not mention the body of water and keep

it just about fish caught and so on??? I myself have mentioned where I fished in the past but lately have

decided not to. Personal messeges seem like the right way to go with this reducing the mass amounts of people

getting access to spots, members and lurkers. I think this should apply regardless if the body of water is already popular or not.

A heavily fished area will just become even more heavily fished.

I would like to hear what the admin's think about this subject.

Thanks

Laz

Good idea Lazlo.....

and a FRIENDLY suggestion to the admins....

I know for myself that when I signed up on this board,, I didn't "thoroughly" read the terms of agreement to become a member here...

( maybe I am the only one ;) )

The point being, maybe the admins could post a weekly review/reminder of one of the terms until they are all covered ( closed topic of course) for gentle reminders of the all too often over looked "terms of agreement" (see small print) for newer members like myself and Lazlo.

Thank you for the consideration.

Sincerely,

Splashhopper

Edited by splashhopper

The terms state not mentioning 'specific' locations or maps. I'm refering more to the entire body of water....PERIOD.

Meaning don't mention a tiny stream all the way up to a Great Lake itself.

May seem extreme yes, but may be worth consideration.

Thanks Again

Laz

The point being, maybe the admins could post a weekly review/reminder of one of the terms until they are all covered ( closed topic of course) for gentle reminders of the all too often over looked "terms of agreement" (see small print) for newer members like myself and Lazlo.

You mean something like this post here dated September 9th. :)

Seems pretty extreme if you can't mention the name of some of our largest/most popular fishing lakes. I mean, can't mention Lake Ontario for Pete's sake. Never mind the larger Kawartha lakes, Simcoe, etc.

I understand the need to keep "secret spots" confidential, but if I want to post a report about some fish I catch on my home lake, which is a rather large and popular lake. I can't see that the hoards would show up the next day...and if they do...have at her, it's a big lake!

Seems to me it would make the board pretty bland...

Seems pretty extreme if you can't mention the name of some of our largest/most popular fishing lakes. I mean, can't mention Lake Ontario for Pete's sake. Never mind the larger Kawartha lakes, Simcoe, etc.

I understand the need to keep "secret spots" confidential, but if I want to post a report about some fish I catch on my home lake, which is a rather large and popular lake. I can't see that the hoards would show up the next day...and if they do...have at her, it's a big lake!

Seems to me it would make the board pretty bland...

Your right, some of the largest / most popular lakes could be the exception.

eg: great lakes, simcoe, nipissing.

I don't think this would make the board bland at all. For me, veiwing reports with pics and a story is good enough.

The location itself isn't all that important to me.

The reason I brought this up was influenced by a few fishing buddies I have. They don't really use the internet that much and don't know

about OFC. To all that I mentioned OFC to, it seemed their first reaction was negative, mentioning that it would seem that sort of thing

would be bad for the fisheries. They have a point.

Not biting your head off at all here, Laz...just respectfully disagreeing. I don't think we need a "rule" saying whether we can divulge stuff like that or not. Obviously, it's up to each of us...some do, some don't, but I think that MOST are pretty smart about protecting their particular spots. :)

Not biting your head off at all here, Laz...just respectfully disagreeing. I don't think we need a "rule" saying whether we can divulge stuff like that or not. Obviously, it's up to each of us...some do, some don't, but I think that MOST are pretty smart about protecting their particular spots. :)

Thanks for not biting my head off.

Maybe I'm alone on this one.

I finally get to say it.

It really doesn't matter to me.

There is nobody here to fish all the spots anyway so we can mention them all we want :D

As far as mentioning spots down there...hey, play with the lurkers. Send em to a different spot every weekend where the fish are hitting like crazy. :angry:

PS...sounds like somebody mentioned your favorite secret spot :o

Edited by Dara

Man I'm not tellin anbody where I'm anglin...

however the combination to the wife's chastity belt is ...Right 36...Left 24...Right....

HA Ha---Man I gotta go paint somethin

Bushman

my front hallway needs painting........

All comments gratefully received, i think that someone saying the bite is on on Qunite, is alot different than saying there a ton of fish off "so and so" point on quinte. That's what we are trying to avoid. Unfortunately we can't close the forum to members only, the majority of our dough comes from the massive amount of traffic lurkers generate. Sad to say but true.. also theres so many other forums out there, you would have to have a consensus amongst us all.. which is unlikely to happen. I think its up to the individual poster to be vague enough about exaclty where they cleaned up.

The fishing reports with pictures and some explanation seem to be the heart of this board.

There were way more reports shared a couple of years ago, didn't seem to be detrimental to any fisheries.

After many years of seeing this and sharing some, it seems most folks use the right discretion without having to be constantly bantered at, or ruled. It is not like directions and waypoints are being shared like on some more viewed TV shows.

The public nature and lack of 'exclusivity' helps all on this forum. Not often you will have pro fishermen and beginners frequenting the same forum.

I finally get to say it.

It really doesn't matter to me.

There is nobody here to fish all the spots anyway so we can mention them all we want :D

As far as mentioning spots down there...hey, play with the lurkers. Send em to a different spot every weekend where the fish are hitting like crazy. :angry:

PS...sounds like somebody mentioned your favorite secret spot :o

My favorite secret spot has not been mentioned but the specific very small town close to it has. This is the sort of thing I'm talking about.

Over the last two years the area seems to have may more fisherman and many I've asked have said they found out from the OFC forum.

Obviously this leads to more fishing pressure = less fish.

Seems the spots i fish were hammered more 20 years ago before the internet.

Over the last two years the area seems to have may more fisherman and many I've asked have said they found out from the OFC forum.

But whatever,

My favorite secret spot has not been mentioned but the specific very small town close to it has. This is the sort of thing I'm talking about.

OH GREAT!!! now im going to have to read every single post to find the small town in question...lol just razzin ya Laz....i am guilty of it too in the past but I try to use discretion a bit better now ...but when a father wants to take his young son to a fishing spot i almost feel obligated to steer them in the right direction that i know they will have a safe outing with a good possibilty of catching fish...right ? wrong? i dont know ...kinda catch 22...

Posting bogus hot spots would only discredit your character and this forum ...this is the information age and if someone applies them selves...they can easily find hotspots without ever taking a step along the waters edge but that doesnt mean they will catch fish IF they are still in that spot on any given day.