9/17/09 pics, a few fish...

Greencoachdog

Got out on Lake Neely Henry at about 10 a.m this morning. Evidently the monsoon type rains we've been having have flooded the lake recently, there was all kinds of Floatsam about! Nasty navigation hazards!!!

This one was about 6' in diameter and I don't know how far it went onder the surface!

This one was about the same size as the first!

This one almost got me, was almost completely submerged and was hidden by the chop on the water... it was about 7 or 8' long and a foot or more wide!

This is a well known deadhead that moves every time the lake floods, I estimate it to be 30-40' long!

So, after carefully traversing the gauntlet of obstacles... I made my way to the dam to check out the action. It was pathetic!!! The fish were gorged and only nibbling at the tail of the spinner and I had to really let them chew on it for a while to get a hook in them... and then they were all small! :angry:

They weren't pulling water thru the dam, but did earlier in the morning... and that's when I suspect they fed. All the fish I caught were puking up 1" shad during the fight and in the boat.

The Dam dinks:

2 or 3 dinky Spots like this.

A dinky Largie

... and a couple fair sized 'Gills is all I could muster at the dam. :rolleyes:

I was fairly disgusted with the action at the dam, so I decided to drop shot the live shiners I bought at my favorite creekmouth.

The action was slow on the dropshot so I decided to eat lunch!

Sonar question answered

Q. Do high powered sonar units spook fish in shallow water?

A. Damn straight they do!!!

Proof

Last year I upgraded from my 2400 watt Humminbird Wide Optic to a 4000 watt Humminbird 747C, it's a beautiful unit with high definition and incredible clarity!!!... BUT!!!... since I've installed it on my boat, I haven't been able to catch anything on the dropshot in less than 25 FOW! At first I thought I'd lost my touch or that the fish just weren't there, but it went on for too long! I then began to suspect the high powered sonar unit was spooking the fish.

The fancy 4000 watt unit.

A couple of weeks ago I had some spare time, so I reinstalled the old 2400 watt unit.

The old 2400 watt unit.

Whenever I tried dropshotting with the 4000 watt unit in less than 25' of water, I wouldn't see anything or catch anything! Today I put the old 2400 watt to the test, I ran it exclusively in 15-20' of water and let the 4000 watt unit rest.

The results:

Starting off I was beginning to wonder, only a couple small channel cats in 18 fow.

but I knew the fish weren't very active and I stuck with it... well!... at about 1:00 p.m when the started pulling water thru the dam, I was slow trolling my favorite point in 15 FOW and all hell braks loose!!! The rod with the 4 hook Sabiki rig goes off and is jumping wildly in the rod holder, I pick it up and start fighting the fish and then my second rod with the 6 hook Sabiki rig goes off!!! :w00t: ... HELL YEAH!!!... I reel up the 4 hook rod quickly and do a rod lift of the fish into the boat, much to my pleasure there was 2 nice sized spots on that rod... then I grab the second rod and start reeling, a little more carefully because the 6 hook rig is a lot lighter than the 4 hook rig... get the rig to the surface and much to my delight there's 2 more Spots!!!... a double doubleheader... by myself!!!

It was pure pandemonium in the boat for a minute with 4 fish flopping around wildly and 9 razor sharp Sabiki hooks flying thru the air... It would have been 10, but a third fish had broken off from the lighter 6 hook rig!

The first 2 Spots that hit the heavier 4 hook rig

The second 2 Spots that hit the 6 hook rig

After that, I thought I'd run back over to the dam and checkout the current and maybe throw for some Stripers for my dinner, but was disappointed when I got there because the were already running 2 turbines and that's a little more current than I want to deal with and it splits the fish up too... so back to the point I go!

So I start doing the slow troll thing again and after a little while I get a surprise!!!

A small crappie from 16 FOW!

Then another surprise!

another small Crappie from 15 FOW!!!... I couldn't believe it, it's not even Crappie season yet!!!

Then a few minutes later another nice hit!

Another nice sized little Spotted Bass!!!

Then a few minutes later... a huge surprise!!!

This Crappie was 17" long and weighed 4 lbs. 1 oz!!!

... and then the big fish of the day came!!!

This Spotted Bass hit the light 6 hook Sabiki rig and put up a helluve fight, he even broke water once (and I think he broke wind twice!)

This fish was an amazing 25" long and weighed in at 9 lbs. 5 oz. on my digital scale!!!

Truely an amazing day!!!

In conclusion, is my dinky little 2400 watt sonar unit High Definition?... no... does it have a fancy color screen?... no... does it help me catch fish???... you better bet yer ass it does!!!

Thanks for taking the time to look at a poor old honest Rednecks report!!! ;)

Edited by GCD

Quite a day you had good work on the report...lots of variety and some nice sizes.

Interesting on the sonar for sure...the ones Ive been looking at fall into the fish spooking category you mention, which I don't appreciate. I can spook fish quite adeptly on my own without the extra help of electronics.

about time we got a fishin report from you.

Your digital scale is screwed. That bass fish is 7-8 pounds at the most. You probably have one of the cheap digital scales. You need to buy a $18945785 scale if you want to get an actual correct weight.

Nice fish by the way.

PS that crappie is a hair under 4 pounds I bet. You guys from down south always exagerate the size of your fish.

Edited by Cudz

Good info Glen. Another thing is flashers thru the ice. I don 't know how many times I've pounded perch in shallow water, while my buds with thier fancy schmancy high power flashers got one here and there. If I can hear it, a fish can dam well hear it too!!!!

Nice haul too bud.......that one slab is a beast!!!

S.