laszlo

So far this year I've caught the following on Tube Jigs in the river I fish:

Longnose Gar

Smallmouth Bass

Largemouth Bass

Rock Bass

Walleye

Pike

I was wondering if anyone has had success using Tube Jigs for Rainbow Trout (Steelhead)???

I know they'll be running soon now that the fall breeze is in the air and rain is in the near future.

They do feed on crayfish and small minnows so it would seem to make sense.

Thanks

Laszlo

1-2 inch white tube jigs are great in some of the eastern Ontario tribs, especially near the river mouths late fall and early winter. When everyone is drifting roe and not getting bites, give it a try. One problem with fishing tubes is finding a small jig head with a strong enough hook to handle those big chromers.

Goodluck.

3' watermelon pattern tube. She hit it like a freight train. Mind you these were caught in July in the mighty Niagara, so weather or not they are "steelhead" or rainbows, i really dont know. Like solopaddler, I like to drift micro tubes under a float, they work best tipped with a waxworm.

6010_107741758181_505593181_2216664_5072406_n.jpg

6010_107741748181_505593181_2216663_342931_n.jpg

Thanks guys. I'm going to give it a shot later in the month and into Oct.

You know when you get your confidence with a certain bait it's hard to switch it up

but at the same time, sometimes a change is due.

I will report back soon enough...

Until then...dreaming of steelhead

Its weird. Ive caught fish on them in L Ontario tribs and a few other places. Never had a hit on them in Superior tribs. I've given them a good go too in multiple types of conditions.

Then again jigs dont produce for me up north like they have other places.

Heres a question for you guys. Do you rig them with a small tube jig head or just a small hook? Ive caught them both ways with neither really better than the other.

Edited by troutologist

Its weird. Ive caught fish on them in L Ontario tribs and a few other places. Never had a hit on them in Superior tribs. I've given them a good go too in multiple types of conditions.

Then again jigs dont produce for me up north like they have other places.

Heres a question for you guys. Do you rig them with a small tube jig head or just a small hook? Ive caught them both ways with neither really better than the other.

Hey bud, I've always just rigged them with a jig head.

I use them in slow estuary type water only. A tube head allows for a more horizontal minnow-like presentation under the float.

Also, while you will sometimes catch fish on them dead drifting, either a small ripple on the water or occasional twitches of the float help immensly.

Pencil style floats work better for this than round or oblong shaped floats.

If you attempt to twitch a roundish shaped float you'll invariably end up pulling it off whatever seam your drifting.

A pencil style float will "waggle" back and forth. You'll still give the jig action with a twitch, but won't pull it off course.

Cheers

i use just a bare jig hook fed through the tube , works good

When fishing dead slow estuary waters, using an actual jig head allows you to use little to no shot below your float.

Used in conjunction with a self cocking (stem is weighted) pencil float it's a deadly way to rig, very finesse, and usually accounts for more fish.

When fishing dead slow estuary waters, using an actual jig head allows you to use little to no shot below your float.

Used in conjunction with a self cocking (stem is weighted) pencil float it's a deadly way to rig, very finesse, and usually accounts for more fish.

Agreed 100%! 90 degree eye is ideal.

Deadly off piers in Jan/Feb. I internally weight them and use a "custom" slip float setup. Turned onto it over 20yrs ago while fishing along side the Hartman bros. Man, those were the days at the ganny.

Edited by Harrison

Heh .. I dropped a tee into the Humber today (by mistake) as I was looking into it from a bridge on a golf course ... and was surprised to see about eight fish attack it ... two were small trout ... so I am thinking ... small white tubes may work as well on the tribs as they do on the ice ...

Same scenario, if the wind is low and you can get away with only a jig head in the tube and a regular stemmed float (no weight) you will detect the "riser" hits.....when everyone else is running 6ft weighted leads, I run a 2.5 ft lead bare to the jig head........when the float moves up, or down, any movment...he's there. This is a cold water technique mostly........use a slip float the same way if you want to twitch em without disturbing the surface.

but I'VE been fish tubes with Buck Tyler for 25 years!......do I hear 30 ? anyone ? LOL

RR