Swine Flu

rylan

Is there some place I can get all my conspiracy theories in one nice package?

http://www.zeitgeistmovie.com/

A real eye opener for anyone!!!

I don't like injecting something into my body which has been rushed and untested. I don't really trust Big Pharma who are making a killing off of this. Profits are the big driver for them, it is better for them to have people sick than the whole population healthy.

I'll take solid exercise, a healthy diet, and stress avoidance as the best immunization against getting sick. Common sense really, but not for some...

And it's not a little pin prick I'm afraid of, it's whats being injected into my body. If you read a list of what's in that flu shot you may have second thoughts, but that would probably burst your bubble.

Well said...

Never had the shots....cant remember the last time i had the flu....or even a serious cold for that matter

Edited by anders

I have never had a flu shot or a real case of the flu.I am thinking about getting one this time.I work in many houses a week often in the most germ laden areas of the house.I wash my hands 20 or 30 times a day.I rarely get even a cold.The first year I was runnning service calls I think I caught every cold bug that came down the pike from being in contact with so many people.I now have the imune system from hell from it.The H1N1 is something I will not mess with,I am in contact with too many people to risk catching or giving it to someone.I would feel bad if I caused someone to die from me giving them the flu.

Joe

Theres an old expression that says " When everyone is thinking alike, no-one is really thinking at all." Kind of makes me think of this topic. It seems kind of funny that Tamiflu gets approved faster than any drug before it and then, all of a sudden theres an influenza pandemic? Hmmm...

as for Polio

If its anything like the standard flu shot its effectiveness is still questioned by Many medical proffesionals...

The simple reason is not the effectivness of the Vaccine against the targeted strain but rather which strain it protects against vs the actual strains going around.

Generally speaking,

By the time they manufacture and distribute the vaccine there are usualy already several mutations and strains floating in differnt areas across the province that are not covered in the Vaccine.

In the Pharmacutical world Its admittidly a bit of a guessing game determining which strains will hit, and what mutations will follow in the provinces many different regions.

The moral of the story...

If your in a high risk group, or have people close to you that may be in the high risk group you could spread it too... why not limit the odds and get the shot.

But if your like me who is not in that goup, nor do I beleive anyone I am generaly in contact with is in that group there is about as good a chance that I'll suffer a side effect as there is I'll contract the given strain its designed to protect.

Some might disagree but My mother in law is a nurse, who used to get the shots...who no longer does as it has yet to protect her.

She gets some version of the flu every year....I'm sure its not the strain the vaccine was there to protect her from, but none the less she got it.

That very same mantality was echoed by my Family Dr.

When I asked about it he said the Jury is still out on the vaccines, and being a young healthy man not in a risk group it was unwarranted.

I'll have to ask him about the H1N1

But I'm guessing being the H1N1 vaccine is still out for the jury to decide, and it is after all a flu that is KNOWN to mutate...quicky...and often

I'll more then likely be in the same boat and avoid the shot while I exersise common sense with regards to washing hands etc.

The bottom line...

This is the internet folks,

If you're unsure ask your Doctor and get some first hand educated advice to ponder.

No harm in that.

OTTAWA FINDS CURE FOR SWINE FLU

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Politics/2009/...0940116-cp.html

Incompetents working for the government

You know, I rarely click on your links cause...well frankly I am terrified of what it may go to..lol. But I am glad i did this one. Stupid people in important places...its not just a government problem.

Not going to get it.

Also has nothing to do with needles, as I give blood regularly and get allergy shots each year. I am just more scarred of the vacination that than the flu itself.

When my father was sick in the hosptial with West Nile Virus, before they knew what he had for sure, they thought he had an auto-immune disorder called

Gillean-Bare Syndrome (not sure of exact spelling). Doing some research on it, I found the effects on the nervous system were devasting, and one of the possible (although very, very rare) causes was an adverse reaction to the flu shot.

I am by no means a medical expert so I have no idea how accurate what I read was.

What I do know is this. I do not spend a lot of time around children or in schools or medical facilities, so my risk of exposure is on the low side and am reasonably healthy most flu seasons.

Finally, I recall a few years ago there were a bunch of paremedics (I think in the GTA) that refused to get the flu shot due to unknown, long term, side effect studies.

All of the above combined is more than enough for me to take my chances.

Jeff

It's interesting to note that many doctors themselves aren't willing to take the shot themselves. Also, insurance companies are refusing to insure doctors that provide the shot in the United States. It would be interesting to compare how people on this board who do take the shot VS those who do not end up.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12...ting-fears.html

It's interesting to note that many doctors themselves aren't willing to take the shot themselves. Also, insurance companies are refusing to insure doctors that provide the shot in the United States. It would be interesting to compare how people on this board who do take the shot VS those who do not end up.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12...ting-fears.html

Kind of a sketchy website,very small amount of people polled.They cant even spell color correctly.

Joe

CTV really raised a bunch of red flags.

- Flu shots potentially making you more suseptable to H1N1...

- The fact there is still no scientific data that giving both swine flu and seasonal flu shots at the same time is either safe nor effective...yikes!

- And Studies that suggest the swine flu vaccine in the U.S. show children under 10 years of age appear to need two shots a few days apart to be effective...

Considering many people still are uneasy with the idea of over vaccinating their children given the lack of long term study, and the implications of past vaccinations potentially haveing links to autism etc...its not good news.

As if people were not leary before :lol:

Guest Johnny Bass

I would never put a foreign substance into my body unless it was absolutely, positively necessary. Do you have any idea how many side effects are caused by modern day medicines and these are the tried and tested. Never mind this swine flu one that has not been tested. I wouldn't be surprised if the ones given to soldiers are experimental also. All I kept hearing about is all the soldiers taking vaccines for this and that and then getting sick. Basically they are just being used as guinea pigs.

Even though Canada has a free health care? These shots are not free. We pay for it with our tax dollars. So someone is making money off these shots.

I too wont be getting a flu shot anytime soon. Maybe if I am over 70 and ill, I may think about it.

I don't like injecting something into my body which has been rushed and untested. I don't really trust Big Pharma who are making a killing off of this. Profits are the big driver for them, it is better for them to have people sick than the whole population healthy.

I'll take solid exercise, a healthy diet, and stress avoidance as the best immunization against getting sick. Common sense really, but not for some...

And it's not a little pin prick I'm afraid of, it's whats being injected into my body. If you read a list of what's in that flu shot you may have second thoughts, but that would probably burst your bubble.

Good Call

Edited by holdfast

Not a chance in anyones lifetime on this board

I grew up in the sunlight soap and javex era and have ingested enough of the former to make me extremily resilient to things

....seriously though no way whatsoever will I be jabbed with anything of the anti flu nature

I work in ER and we have had our first case already, if the swine flu mutates in January, bet you wish you would have gotten the shot in october.....immunizations can take up to 6 weeks to build resistance

then you must have heard about the press release today and the new plan? you dont have stock in Smith Glaxo...whatever do you?

if the swine flu mutates in January

If it continues to mutates the way flu's seem too...

The current Vaccine(that is already argueably outdated) may infact already be out dated and not effective against that strain as is.

So while I may wish I have done many things in the past I doubt getting that shot will be one.

I think thats the catch 22 so to speak, or the divide between the public opinion.

Just cause you got the shot does not mean you won't get it, or a similar strain, and yet we don't know the long term effects of the vaccine.

Sure you could die from the flu, but...those odds seem about on par with side effects from the shot?

Potato vs, Potatoe I suppose?

I work in ER and we have had our first case already, if the swine flu mutates in January, bet you wish you would have gotten the shot in october.....immunizations can take up to 6 weeks to build resistance

If the swine flu mutates in January, then your October innoculation will be useless. The shot has been developed for the current strain, not a mutated version.

Just because a flu shot isn't an exact match, i.e every other year inlcuding this year, doesn't mean that you don't get any added protection, as your body can still develop some antibodies....and the other thing to consider the cost is cheap to you....percentage wise 1/10 people develop influenza and 1/3 children develop it, and this was before the more virulent h1n1 came about, the risks of serious side effects of the flu shot are like 1 in a million, you have much better odds to get seriously hurt in car accident driving home today......risk versus benefit is a no brainer to me, epecially if the 1/10 people who are likely to contact h1n1 can become seriously ill........but you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink

Edited by moemoe