My Biggest Bass Yet! But... how much does it weigh?

Ping

So I drove out to Lake Sparrow this morning with a couple buddies, my bro and my GF. My GF and I got our own boat and followed the leader, who was more familiar with the lake, to a nice patch of weeds. I decided to go in a lil deeper and drop the anchor to do some jigging. Within minutes I caught this guy.

Bass.jpg

I really only started bass fishing a few weeks ago, so this is by far the biggest bass I've ever caught. The questions is how heavy is it??? I got estimates ranging from 5-7lbs. What do you guys think? I was guessing around 5.

So I drove out to Lake Sparrow this morning with a couple buddies, my bro and my GF. My GF and I got our own boat and followed the leader, who was more familiar with the lake, to a nice patch of weeds. I decided to go in a lil deeper and drop the anchor to do some jigging. Within minutes I caught this guy.

Bass.jpg

I really only started bass fishing a few weeks ago, so this is by far the biggest bass I've ever caught. The questions is how heavy is it??? I got estimates ranging from 5-7lbs. What do you guys think? I was guessing around 5.

I would say 6 lbs. Beautiful fish. Hope hes Back in the water making Babys that will grow to his size. Thats a beast all right Good on you.

Thanks guys! I measured her with my forearm (Tip of my fingers to elbow). She was a bit longer which would make her about 20", not too sure about the girth though.

Nice fish!! Did you measure it at all? It's got good girth, so it could go 6 if it is 20-21". If you don't have a scale in the boat, a flexible tape will give you length and girth, which is a pretty accurate way to get weight.

Sounds like good info to know for next time! How would I calculate weight based on length and girth?

Edited by Ping

Thanks guys! I measured her with my forearm (Tip of my fingers to elbow). She was a bit longer which would make her about 20", not too sure about the girth though.

Sounds like good info to know for next time! How would I calculate weight based on length and girth?

There are a few calculators on the net. Here is the one I use: http://www.bassresource.com/bassfishing/fishcalculator.html

I carry a sewing measuring tape and do a quick length and girth measure....it's as fast as weighing the fish.

Nice fish Ping. Many of us killed the first big bass we caught, but that was a long time ago. You're ahead of the curve, early in your fishing career, by releasing her unharmed. It's human nature to want to show off your first big fish by taking it home with you.

Thanks but I have to admit, it sure was tempting to bring her home...

There are a few calculators on the net. Here is the one I use: http://www.bassresource.com/bassfishing/fishcalculator.html

I carry a sewing measuring tape and do a quick length and girth measure....it's as fast as weighing the fish.

Thanks! Forums like this is a wealth of knowledge for newbs like me thanks to people like you. Much appreciated.

Sparrow fish weigh light, I've found that out many times haha. She's definitely a high 4. Good fish for sure

So if I measured a bass's length and girth from sparrow and than the same size bass from Simcoe, the bass from Simcoe would weigh more? Is that possible? Looks like misfish agrees with you too so I'm guessing there is substance to what you're saying. Just wondering how that works out though *Scratches head*

Simply because because bass in some lakes have either more forage or a source of food that pours the fat on more. Sometimes genetics plays a role as well ... you get some fish that are invariably long and thin from one lake and short and fat from another. Fish from some some lakes also grow faster than in others - often based on mean water temperatures perhaps as much forage. I love the short and fat type of bass personally ...but yours sure was a beauty - especially from Sparrow where nice fish like the one you caught aren't as plentiful as they once were - in part perhaps because they didn't make the same wise choice you did - to release her to not only give another angler the same thrill you had - but also to continue reproducing ... and those bigger bass are oh so good at that!

Thanks

Wil

Very nice bucket for sure! :clapping: My guess, for what it's worth is 5 - 5.5lbs and a great PB regardless. I say grab a digital scale for 20 bucks if you like tracking PB's by wieght...gives you something to go by next time you get one you think is close.

Simply because because bass in some lakes have either more forage or a source of food that pours the fat on more. Sometimes genetics plays a role as well ... you get some fish that are invariably long and thin from one lake and short and fat from another. Fish from some some lakes also grow faster than in others - often based on mean water temperatures perhaps as much forage. I love the short and fat type of bass personally ...but yours sure was a beauty - especially from Sparrow where nice fish like the one you caught aren't as plentiful as they once were - in part perhaps because they didn't make the same wise choice you did - to release her to not only give another angler the same thrill you had - but also to continue reproducing ... and those bigger bass are oh so good at that!

Thanks

Wil

Thanks for clarifying. I can't believe how much I didn't know that there is to know about bass fishing. And the more info I'm getting the more hooked I seem to be!

People are to caught up with the weights of fish. Get a length and a girth go bak and try to break your PB

Sounds like a good mentality to have on the water. Appreciate the thought.

I find that the bassresource calculator inflates the weight as compared to many others, including the one found on the OFAH website. The bass I caught earlier this year according to the measurements would be an extra 1.2 lbs using theirs. Is that why you use theirs? :lol::lol:

Dirk