Cool this summer? arctic sea ice melt 3rd highest

scuro2

That's the thing with pacifists/Lefties or Doomers. If you disagree or challenge them, when backed to a corner, they first revert to name calling, and if that doesn't work, the Human rights or other forms of litigation. The Red necks, well, just laugh it off. LOL

I laugh to your face, now go whine to the Mods

Edited by holdfast

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

i'm just gonna edit this and say that i'm glad all of you aren't ignorant, hillbilly, racist, warmongers!

Edited by Dr. Salvelinus

i'm just gonna edit this and say that i'm glad all of you aren't ignorant, hillbilly, racist, warmongers!

So the earth is 6000 years old is it? Hmm. Is that what you heard Christians believe? Wow. You underestimate everything about creation and rely way too much on science. Guess you are too smart to believe in Intelligent design. Your time on earth is but a blink of the eye on earth compared to eternity. I will leave it at that.

I believe there is climate change.

I believe humans do contribute to it.

I believe our contribution is not the primary factor contributing to the climate change.

My opinion is no more valid or correct than anyone other. It too is a theory, and just that.

I am not going to get into this any more than that despite the fact that I am qualified to do so.

I see you made an edit. Interesting. I will leave mine alone.

Edited by Cudz

Guest ThisPlaceSucks
. Guess you are too smart to believe in Intelligent design.

yes. you guess right but what does that have to do with climate change?

and i'm not sure what your qualifications are (i thought you were a math teacher), but unless you are writing peer reviewed journal articles on climate change i don't really care what you "believe". i don't know why the earth is warming, but i'm not arrogant enough to refute scientific evidence on a forum when it isn't my discipline.

Edited by Dr. Salvelinus

You know I ignored the first shot you took but you could'nt leave it alone could you?

You remind me of one of those monkeys in the zoo that throw crap at passerbys looking for attention

While the urge to retaliate in kind hits all of us who seek intelligent dialogue and are taunted and mocked, you will find that those who really don't have anything meaningful to contribute, seek your type of response. That allows them to partake in a means of communication that they are all too good at, and take over the "conversation". Fight that urge, and "kill them" with kindness instead.

Edited by scuro2

Since your so worried and Smug about it, why dont you do something. Sign a contract that you will not indulge in anything that is believed to lead to Global warming. Ill see you in Afghanistan somewhere naked, barefoot, digging in the sand with a stick, forging for food. Remember, anything you eat must be raw as a fire will leave a Carbon footprint. I betcha your so smug, that you sit in the dark once a year with your kids like their your little disciples telling them how good you are for the world by doing it once a year, and how I'm bad because I think its a load of crock.

So unless someone can guarantee that they leave absolutely no carbon footprint, they shouldn't even try to minimize the impact that they have? That makes no sense at all. That's called a "nirvana fallacy" and it's a completely backwards (that's the most diplomatic term I can think of) way of thinking. Just because perfection is not attainable, it doesn't mean that positive steps can't or shouldn't be taken to achieve a better outcome. It would be like if I pointed out that massive electoral fraud has just taken place in Afghanistan, and then suggested that the Canadian military has been completely ineffective in establishing democracy, and should all be called home tomorrow. (I'm NOT saying that...it's a parallel example) I'm fairly certain you would disagree with that, am I right, holdfast?

I'm pretty sure we're accelerating climate change at a fast rate. All the emissions by the population that keeps increasing (we all produce CO2 as well) along with India, China and several other countries becoming more industrialized and using fossil fuels as power sources can't help but warm up the planet. It'll be interesting what things will be like in 10yrs from now.

I'm pretty sure we're accelerating climate change at a fast rate. All the emissions by the population that keeps increasing (we all produce CO2 as well) along with India, China and several other countries becoming more industrialized and using fossil fuels as power sources can't help but warm up the planet. It'll be interesting what things will be like in 10yrs from now.

Be careful Scug, remember you and those Fossil Fuels can cause World Hunger. Example, food farming into Ethanol causing Higher prices and shortages etc. Then you have those nasty Oil Sands, opps I mean TAR Sands. Great for our economy. Then you have the Third World that you expect to follow your suit and idiot themselves from progress and feeding their own. Remember, I never called you names. No need to get nasty. However I do believe in ourselves and we will strive ahead without panic. Now only if we really can cut down on the Global Warming and cut all that Pollution in Southern Ontario and North Eastern States with all that Manafacturing, Population and vehicals. Lets debate that instead the oil sands. I get it, the West is expendable, not too many votes up here.

Edited by holdfast

Be careful Scug, remember you and those Fossil Fuels can cause World Hunger. Example, food farming into Ethanol causing Higher prices and shortages etc. Then you have those nasty Oil Sands, opps I mean TAR Sands. Great for our economy. Then you have the Third World that you expect to follow your suit and idiot themselves from progress and feeding their own. Remember, I never called you names. No need to get nasty. However I do believe in ourselves and we will strive ahead without panic. Now only if we really can cut down on the Global Warming and cut all that Pollution in Southern Ontario and North Eastern States with all that Manafacturing, Population and vehicals. Lets debate that instead the oil sands. I get it, the West is expendable, not too many votes up here.

Actually, you have been doing all the name-calling so far, calling me smug and all kinds of other things! And have you actually read anything we have posted, or do you keep conjuring up strawmen?

The Tar Sands are awful by the way - they are polluting the crap out of Alberta, Manitoba and SK, while the federal government has waived industrial standards and changed the environmental policy surrounding it. In a time when most countries are starting to move away from oil, it doesn't really make much sense to try to hang on to them, especially since the price of oil dropped so low (Alberta is about to start running a deficit again).

Canada has huuuuuuge amounts of sun, land, wind and coastline, if it wanted to it could lead the way in alternative energy and research instead of relying on digging stuff out of the ground and selling it.

Ok...I'll Bite LOL!

Sorry guys but I have to laugh at the fear mongering a bit...

in the 70's it was "the next ice age is coming"

In the 80's it was "acid rain is going to kill us"

In the 90's global warming is "going to get us"

Now its not global warming but "climate change"....

Oh!

And lets not forget the doomsday Asteroids... :rolleyes:

I can buy the climate change thing, as its such a broad spectrum, sure...it makes sense I suppose?

But food for thought here...

The Arctic has Tropical plants under the ice in some areas, Mammoth bones have been found as far south as central America, the great lakes basin was once ONE BIG ASS LAKE....

In my very NON EXPERT opinion would say Climate change has been going on for a lot longer then the last 1000 years In fact in my opinion its been going on for a very long time(thats my scientific answer) LOL!

Is it happening?...sure why not.

Am I going to worry about it?...nope

I'll wait until I'm a bit older and bored then I'll worry so I have something to do LOL!

Edited by Cookslav

Well the sky is not falling...agreed

Anybody here an expert......nope

This I do know for 100% certainty----take a hot summer day and travel down Clappisons Corners hill in Southern Ontario and view the nice skyline-----yep air colourized for your breathing enjoyment---not sure but I believe air is not normally brown and yellow.

What does it mean---being most have taken a stand of complacency---not much today right? we all still eat, sleep and have sex.

But growing up in The truth north strong and free was that we had all the clean air and water, more so than most other countries and yet today I can walk in some cities in Canada in the summer and there appears to be more and more masked people--one can assume having difficulty processing the chemical laden air.

So I do not believe we are heading in the right direction--and yes I do what I can even though there will always be more.

But to say there is no issue here and just throw up the hands is to defeatest an attitude for this angler.

Bushart

yes. you guess right but what does that have to do with climate change?

and i'm not sure what your qualifications are (i thought you were a math teacher), but unless you are writing peer reviewed journal articles on climate change i don't really care what you "believe". i don't know why the earth is warming, but i'm not arrogant enough to refute scientific evidence on a forum when it isn't my discipline.

I have a bachelor of environmental studies from the University of Waterloo which in itself does not actually make me me an authority but I have done a lot of work with regards to climate change including working with the Canadian Military.

Actually, you have been doing all the name-calling so far, calling me smug and all kinds of other things! And have you actually read anything we have posted, or do you keep conjuring up strawmen?

The Tar Sands are awful by the way - they are polluting the crap out of Alberta, Manitoba and SK, while the federal government has waived industrial standards and changed the environmental policy surrounding it. In a time when most countries are starting to move away from oil, it doesn't really make much sense to try to hang on to them, especially since the price of oil dropped so low (Alberta is about to start running a deficit again).

Canada has huuuuuuge amounts of sun, land, wind and coastline, if it wanted to it could lead the way in alternative energy and research instead of relying on digging stuff out of the ground and selling it.

We call it Oil Sands ( Crazy Lefty's and Environmentalists call it Tar Sands, Sounds Dirtier) , also I was talking to Scug. For your info I did read some of the Links, However, I also read some of the links that are opposed. Myself, I dislike anyone that is two faced that are broadcasting these issues. In other words if THEY have a problem with how Canada or our Neighbor, or the World is working, do something ( just dont Force me). Lead by Example. Sign a contract that you will have absolutely nothing to do with, fossil fuels, Carbon emitting machinery, anything to do with nuclear reactors including medicine, X Rays, and TV. Anything man made causing your ice to melt. Also I Apologize if I hurt your feelings. I'm a straight up guy that says it like it is. No hiding around the corners. WOW, the word Smug hurt your feelings eh. If I called you sitting so vain, you would call that a name calling right. But since you brought up the name calling, Your personal attack on me

( Im proud to say I never Pmd a Mod to complain) only proved to me how weak you are and proved exactly what I said when you, corner, disagree, or even disapprove a Lefty, Pacifist, or Doom and Gloomer, Ill even throw an Environmentalist in case hes a Righty. Tar Sands are Awful, how about all that Pollution in Ontario. Have you forgotten Acid rain, or is that not the in thing anymore. One must look at themselves before criticizing or telling others what to do.

All the fear mongering is so that people like Al Gore and his buddies in the UN can cash in on the carbon trading market they want to set up. Follow the money trail. The thing is most people are smarter than to believe something that they can see with their own eyes isn't true. I think most people here are against pollution and destroying the environment but carbon dioxide is necessary for life.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/columni...pery-stuff.html

Here's a bit of the article.........

BBC viewers were treated last week to the bizarre spectacle of Mr Ban

Ki-moon standing on an Arctic ice-floe making a series of statements so laughable that it was hard to believe such a man can be Secretary-General of the UN. Thanks to global warming, he claimed, "100 billion tons" of polar ice are melting each year, so that within 30 years the Arctic could be "ice-free". This was supported by a WWF claim that the ice is melting so fast that, by 2100, sea-levels could rise by 1.2 metres (four feet), which would lead to "floods affecting a quarter of the world".

Everything about this oft-repeated item was propaganda of the silliest kind. Standing 700 miles from the Pole, as near as the stubbornly present ice would allow his ship to go, Mr Ban seemed unaware that, although some 10 million square kilometres (3.8 million square miles) of sea-ice melts each summer, each September the Arctic starts to freeze again. And the extent of the ice now is 500,000 sq km (190,000 sq m) greater than it was this time last year – which was, in turn, 500,000 sq km more than in September 2007, the lowest point recently recorded (see the Cryosphere Today website). By April, after months of darkness, it will be back up to 14 million sq km (5.4 million sq m) or more

As a reminder, acid rain was indeed real. The cause was identified ( Ohio valley coal burning generators) and remediation introduced ( scrubbers and other changes to nearly eliminate sulphur emissions) and acid rain all but went away.

Lakes already destroyed in northern Ontario were treated with lime (or may have been lye..can't recall) and limestone and have all but returned to their former glory. If you lived in Ontario, you saw it.

Climate change is real and we are real culprits. Fortunately we also know how to help stop the problem.. provided we are willing to accept our responsibility.

There is easily a 10/1 consensus on global warming amongst qualified scientists that it is real and is our doing. But some fail to accept the word of the vast majority of experts.

Some people still also think Elvis is alive.