Cool this summer? arctic sea ice melt 3rd highest

scuro2

Arctic sea ice suffered another summer of significant melting in 2009, with August ice extent the third lowest on record, according to the National Snow and Ice Data Center. August ice extent was 19% below the 1979 - 2000 average, and only 2007 and 2008 saw more melting of Arctic sea ice. We've now had two straight years in the Arctic without a new record minimum in sea ice. However, this does not mean that the Arctic sea ice is recovering...

The researchers found that Arctic temperatures steadily declined between 1 A.D. and 1900 A.D., as would be expected due to a 26,000-year cycle in Earth's orbit that brought less summer sunshine to the North Pole. Earth is now about 620,000 miles (1 million km) farther from the Sun in the Arctic summer than it was 2000 years ago. However, temperatures in the Arctic began to rise around the year 1900, and are now 1.4°C (2.5°F) warmer than they should be, based on the amount of sunlight that is currently falling in the Arctic in summer....

http://www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMaste...l?entrynum=1310

Edited by scuro2

Its only going to get worse - its actually still recoverable until we hit the 'tipping point' where all the permafrost in the artic starts melting and releases the trillion tons of methane it has stored. And then we are all completely, utterly screwed.

Hope your house is on a hill!

Its only going to get worse - its actually still recoverable until we hit the 'tipping point' where all the permafrost in the artic starts melting and releases the trillion tons of methane it has stored. And then we are all completely, utterly screwed.

Hope your house is on a hill!

lol. ok Al Gore

If so much ice is melting ...why hasn't the water level risen in the oceans.... :dunno:

Because the melting of the Arctic sea is no different than ice melting in a glass - the water level doesn't change. Now if Antiarctica melted, that would be a different story. The Arctic ice cap is floating, Antarctica is a continent.

Interesting note on the subject. I was flying surveys over Ellesmere Island in August, we stopped and picked up and observer from the Grise Fiord hunter and trappers association, an older gentlemen who seemed very well versed in the environment surrounding his home. Numerous times he stated "its all melting"

Could be part of a natural fluctuation, but it seems there has been a large change in this man's lifetime in the arctic.

I simply can't believe any study any more, last week I watched a report on how this year the arctic sea ice didnt melt since it was so much colder then normal.....and it was!!

Either everyone is lying or everyone is incompetant or doing it for political or financial benefit.

It ranks up there with bird flu, west nile,SAR and now Swine flu.

It would be nice to believe somebody!!

Edited by bucktail

lol. ok Al Gore

It's true, unfortunately.

If so much ice is melting ...why hasn't the water level risen in the oceans.... :dunno:

It is - its currently been rising 1.8 mm per year over the last 100 years and is currently accelerating

But how will the fishing be?

The trout and salmon really don't like the changes (as in probably happened in BC this year) but its debatable whether they are dying because of more direct changes to their habitat (development etc) or directly because of climate change

I simply can't believe any study any more, last week I watched a report on how this year the arctic sea ice didnt melt since it was so much colder then normal.....and it was!!

Either everyone is lying or everyone is incompetant or doing it for political or financial benefit.

It ranks up there with bird flu, west nile,SAR and now Swine flu.

It would be nice to believe somebody!!

It was colder, but it was still the 3rd highest melt on record (after 2007 and 2008), and still not good. Thats why you are starting to see Canada and other countries arguing over the North West passage, since it will be extremely valuble once its unfrozen for most of the year.

There are a lot of business interests against the idea of global warming and climate change (seriously changing the amount of carbon we are releasing will require either big lifestyle changes, huge expense or both) and they are very good at painting everyone who worries about it as 'Al Gore' or a stoned hippy, and filling the airwaves with trash studies by the Frasier Institute etc till people get so jaded they just stop caring.

Edited by alctel

Anyone that thinks this is something to joke about is a friggin IDIOT!

That might be going a little far...a sense of humour is usually a good thing. However, I do find it a little surprising when I encounter people who still think there's not a problem or anything to worry about. I really have to laugh when others suggest that people trying to raise awareness of climate change are only doing so for their own economic self-interest...but are prepared to believe studies conducted by the oil and gas industry as fact. C'mon...who has a bigger ecomonic interests? The internation oil industry, or a bunch of "hippies" and Al Gore?

There's always the bright side. More water, less Ice. Hey we can build a Seaport in Churchill, now you guys can visit the Poor Polar Bears that are drowning, oops I mean swimming from ice sheet to ice sheet. And lastly, instead of reading about it, maybe you can actually see them for yourselves since you care so much. In the mean time Ill let you guys worry about it, as I got more important things to dwell on. Ill just check on whats the next Doomer on the CBC.

That might be going a little far...a sense of humour is usually a good thing. However, I do find it a little surprising when I encounter people who still think there's not a problem or anything to worry about. I really have to laugh when others suggest that people trying to raise awareness of climate change are only doing so for their own economic self-interest...but are prepared to believe studies conducted by the oil and gas industry as fact. C'mon...who has a bigger ecomonic interests? The internation oil industry, or a bunch of "hippies" and Al Gore?

That's the thing with pacifists. If you disagree or challenge them, when backed to a corner, they first revert to name calling, and if that doesn't work, the Human rights or other forms of litigation. The Red necks, well, just laugh it off. LOL

It is estimated that at any one time, 0.7% of the world’s population are drunk
Anyone that thinks this is something to joke about is a friggin IDIOT!

It is estimated that 0.7% of Muskie fisherman make rash statements and have zero sense of humour.

Statistically yours,

Jim

It's true, unfortunately.

It is - its currently been rising 1.8 mm per year over the last 100 years and is currently accelerating

The trout and salmon really don't like the changes (as in probably happened in BC this year) but its debatable whether they are dying because of more direct changes to their habitat (development etc) or directly because of climate change

It was colder, but it was still the 3rd highest melt on record (after 2007 and 2008), and still not good. Thats why you are starting to see Canada and other countries arguing over the North West passage, since it will be extremely valuble once its unfrozen for most of the year.

There are a lot of business interests against the idea of global warming and climate change (seriously changing the amount of carbon we are releasing will require either big lifestyle changes, huge expense or both) and they are very good at painting everyone who worries about it as 'Al Gore' or a stoned hippy, and filling the airwaves with trash studies by the Frasier Institute etc till people get so jaded they just stop caring.

if you know everything than what number am I thinking right now? dont know? not impressed at all it was 5

That's the thing with pacifists. If you disagree or challenge them, when backed to a corner, they first revert to name calling, and if that doesn't work, the Human rights or other forms of litigation. The Red necks, well, just laugh it off. LOL

Didja call me a Redneck?