Cool this summer? arctic sea ice melt 3rd highest

scuro2

I don't believe in man made global warming, it is a hoax. Check this out doomsdayers.

Earth's 'Fever' Breaks! Global temperatures 'have plunged .74°F since Gore released An Inconvenient Truth' LOL

A record cool summer has descended upon many parts of the U.S. after predictions of the "year without a summer." There has been no significant global warming since 1995, no warming since 1998 and global cooling for the past few years. (Also see: Scientists Write Open Letter to Congress: 'Earth has been cooling for ten years' - 'Present cooling was NOT predicted by the alarmists' computer models, and has come as an embarrassment to them' - July 1, 2009)

Read the entire article here:

http://www.climatedepot.com/a/1799/Earths-...onvenient-Truth

What exact point are you trying to make? Using your "climate depot" website which links out to "whats up with that" website for references...you believe the ice sheet is growing? By area or volume...or both? Was this a one year trend or has it been happening for a decade? How do you explain that the polar ice sheet didn't connect to any land in the summer of 2008, and was actually one giant iceberg? How do you explain the northwest passage being open two years consecutively...which hasn't happened in recorded history? How could this happen when the trend is one of growth for the ice sheet?

080318-winter-ice-02.jpg

Don't see much growth happening here.

Edited by scuro2

So in Southern Ontario, I think summer breaks down like this for 2009,

May: Warmer thank normal

June: Average

July: Cooler and wetter than normal, especially daytime time temps

August: Average to cooler and much wetter than normal, except the second half of August got a heat wave and alot of rain.

September: Warmer and much drier than normal. Day time temps thus far and in the forecast are higher than July, this has happened a few times in the last 10 years.

We have a High P Zone right now sheilding low temps and rain, ...

Does it suggest global warming,..absolutely not,..but its only 4 months. How many times have we had +10C temps in January in the last 15 years? I recall quite a few, this is where the old guys might come in handy.

Previous to that it was unheard of. It is a fact that we get extremes in months that we havent experienced much over the last few centuries,..that is why so many records get broken.

Stop thinking about Global warming locally,..think Climate change!!! Warming is definately occuring in the arctic, but in southern Ontario, its a little more complicated as well as many other areas of the world. Imagine Frost in mid june in southern Ontario....it will happen!!! the heat units this year for farmers were scary until mid august hit, which is typically when heat gets less,...this year it actually saved the corn crop!!!!

Now if that Dam High Pressure zone doesnt get lost soon,..Im gonna borrow Holdfasts rocket luancher and seed the damn clouds myself,..lol

scuro, the ice sheet may be contracting at the north pole but is growing at the south pole. There is lots of evidence showing we have been on a 10 year cooling phase, how about talking 'bout that? Even doomsdayers are having trouble sticking to the global warming myth.

Global warming takes a break

Imagine if Pope Benedict gave a speech saying the Catholic Church has had it wrong all these centuries; there is no reason priests shouldn't marry. That might generate the odd headline, no?

Or if Don Cherry claimed suddenly to like European hockey players who wear visors and float around the ice never body-checking opponents.

When a leading proponent for one point of view suddenly starts batting for the other side, it's usually newsworthy.

So why was a speech last week by Mojib Latif of Germany's Leibniz Institute not given more prominence?

Prof. Latif is one of the leading climate modellers in the world. He is the recipient of several international climate-study prizes and a lead author for the United Nations' Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC). He has contributed significantly to the IPCC's last two five-year reports that have stated unequivocally that man-made greenhouse emissions are causing the planet to warm dangerously.

Yet last week in Geneva, at the UN's World Climate Conference -- an annual gathering of the so-called "scientific consensus" on man-made climate change -- Prof. Latif conceded the Earth has not warmed for nearly a decade and that we are likely entering "one or even two decades during which temperatures cool."

The entire article is here

http://www.nationalpost.com/todays-paper/s...html?id=1982899

I can't wait to get out on the lake tomorrow with my 225!

tempanomaliesinjuly2009cc-520x314.gif

We see here that July indeed was cool in the NE but overall globally, it was the second warmest July on record. But I'm a skeptic at heart and regional and yearly variation don't mean much to me. I'm looking for unique events such as when the north pole became one huge iceberg in 2008 as it did when it melted around the edges. That happened for the first time in possibly 125,000 years, just before the last ice age. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10...-ice-melts.html Could this be part of natural variance? Possibly, I'm sure others could speak with greater understanding on that issue.

Now, you believe that there is some sort of counter balancing going on here. That while the ice sheets have decreased rapidly at the north pole, they are increasing rapidly at the south pole. But that doesn't seem to be the case. http://www.accessmylibrary.com/coms2/summa...86-33695472_ITM I'm open to hearing new ideas and perspectives about what has happened to date at the north pole. What I don't like are bombastic publications and news sources that don't even try to hide their bias. The National Post makes it sound like there was an earth shattering defection, that shows the theory is "debunked". Take a look at the tone of another paper reporting on the same issue. Dr. Latif is simply stating that climate change will not be linear or parabolic, but rather there will be oscillation and that the variance can happen over decades.

"Dr Mojib Latif, one of the world's top climate modellers, believes predictions of imminent global warming may be wrong and that the Earth could be heading for up to 20 years of cooler temperatures. However, the dip will be temporarily - and the long term trend is still for a warmer planet, he says".

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/art...t-predicts.html

Edited by scuro2

Scuro, my skepticism comes from they hysterical rantings of people like Al gore and Ban Ki Moon and their ilk. I also feel the science has been hijacked to suit ideologies and accessing funding. I also don't believe "facts" that are based on computer models that are merely flawed predictions and can be made to show what the modeller wants, you know the gigo theory. We're on a cooling trend right now, yet it's reported by the majority of the msm that the planet is still heating up! The thing that really concerns me is the idea of cap and trade based on inconclusive science such as it is now, not really knowing the effect that humans have to influence the climate if any at all. To me it is nothing but a scam dreamed up to line the pockets of the elite.

I think it's safe to say that the science is far from settled and there's alot we don't know. It's good that we can debate our differing points of view on a forum such as this without it degenerating into personal attacks.

I'm going fishing and this is my last post on the subject, our clubby is tomorrow and I'm 1 point behind for AOY so I need to find some fish!

Good luck on the fishing today. :)

My skepticism on global warming would be based on data, and not the proponents or skeptics involved in the debate...and their possible motives. Carbon in the atmosphere is rising, as are surface temperatures. In reality a large majority of scientists support the theory of global warming, no matter how some want to paint this as a titanic battle between equal and opposing sides. But as they say, the proof is in the pudding. Contrary to your opinion, surface temperatures have been been rising over the decade. Below you will find a graphic NASA video showing global warming over the planet, over the last 100 years.

But, again a few years of unusual weather doesn't mean much. So even if temperatures had cooled that wouldn't "debunk" the theory. This is exactly what Dr. Latif had pointed out, and had been mistakenly misinterpreted by the NP as a "debunking" by a "former" proponent of global warming.

The theory believes that global warming is to intensify as more carbon gets put into the atmosphere. Unique events and highly significant statistical variations will happen. Over time the pattern would be that things will get worse. The shrinkage of the northern ice sheet stands out as an anomaly. Is this anomaly concrete proof? Nope. But it is the most visible piece of evidence in a larger body of evidence. How else to explain what has happened to date? Your "counter balance" theory doesn't seem to hold water. But please, my skeptial nature is always open to the counter argument.

Edited by scuro2