Fishing room??

cuzza

OK, went down to Oakville harbour last night, caught a couple of smallies in my first 10 casts (first fish in North America for me :)) then it started to get busy and I think that's what killed it off as I didn't get another bite.

Anyway, I have no problem with other people trying their luck and if it puts the fish off then so be it. I'm fishing in a 10-15 yds gap between the end of a line of boats and a load of rocks and some guy turns up and sets up in the space between me and the boats, if he'd had a 10ft rod he'd have tickled me with on every cast! To cap it all, every time I stopped fishing to change lures, there was a splash of this guys crankbait landing in front of me!

Now I'm new over here and didn't want to cause a fuss so kept my mouth shut but had that been in the UK, I'd have made some sarcastic comment about already being married and asked him to give me some space. So, out of order of perfectly normal? I'm sure the answer is don't fish busy piers on a nice evening and tell someone you've caught fish :rolleyes: , but i'd be interested to hear whether others think I'm being too precious.

On the off-chance this was an OFC memebre, I'm not having a go, just trying to understand how things work here :)

wait another couple of weeks and you'll barely be able to find a spot down there. even worse is the river banks when the fish start to move up. i grew up about a 5 minute walk from bronte harbour and the place becomes a zoo when the salmon and rainbows start to run. ive heard of fights on more than one occasion.

ryan

Thats to bad to have your night end that way!! But unforunately that tends to happen when you fish the GTA, so may ppl fishing and not alot of spots to fish, no harm with a friendly oh almost hit your boat, sorry!!! Only my suggestion!!! Stay out there and shoulder your spot it will be worth it in a few weeks!!!!

OK, went down to Oakville harbour last night, caught a couple of smallies in my first 10 casts (first fish in North America for me :)) then it started to get busy and I think that's what killed it off as I didn't get another bite.

Anyway, I have no problem with other people trying their luck and if it puts the fish off then so be it. I'm fishing in a 10-15 yds gap between the end of a line of boats and a load of rocks and some guy turns up and sets up in the space between me and the boats, if he'd had a 10ft rod he'd have tickled me with on every cast! To cap it all, every time I stopped fishing to change lures, there was a splash of this guys crankbait landing in front of me!

Now I'm new over here and didn't want to cause a fuss so kept my mouth shut but had that been in the UK, I'd have made some sarcastic comment about already being married and asked him to give me some space. So, out of order of perfectly normal? I'm sure the answer is don't fish busy piers on a nice evening and tell someone you've caught fish :rolleyes: , but i'd be interested to hear whether others think I'm being too precious.

On the off-chance this was an OFC memebre, I'm not having a go, just trying to understand how things work here :)

That sucks. I don't do much of that kind of fishing for good reason. Pretty sure I would have probably made some snide remark and asked him to move. If he didn't move I would probably accidently make some pretty interesting casts.

Ya I would have said somthing for sure...lots of water on Simcoe, I'm sure there is more then one shoal with fish on it.

Its prettty rude if you ask me.

If there are 10 urinals and one guys already pissing are you gonna go stand right next to him?

Nope...

That sucks. I don't do much of that kind of fishing for good reason. Pretty sure I would have probably made some snide remark and asked him to move. If he didn't move I would probably accidently make some pretty interesting casts.

Best answer.

I cant stand being crowded,and i dont hesitate to let them know.

if i see someone coming and i think they might try to squeeze in i will cast my line across the area to discourage them fro trying. but some people are just born ignorant,and punching them in the face may be very tempting,it turns your stress free fishing day into a nightmare day.

Guest gbfisher

Side by side, shoulder to shoulder. The man with the biggest equipment wins! :huh: Bigger Rod, heavier line, larger lures. :D.... A pair of scissors.

One way to fill up your tackle box. ;) and make friends real quick. :lol:

Well cuz since you were on my home turf and will really never know if it was me or not i can tell you this if i can squeeze into a spot i will and the space you referred to can hold 3 even if a boat is in the last slot personnely if you had of said something to me i would of told you whats the term in the UK "SOD OFF". anyway as has been said you better get use to that the time approaches its gonna get tight and if you cant play nice you will be told.

Welcome to Canada!!!!!! :D

JMO

I've never really had that problem, even steelhead fishing.. Maybe cause I'm not the most approachable looking guy on the banks? However, after coming back to my spot after landing a fish I have found people thinking the spot I was some kind of gold mine. I'll get right up besides them and start drifting away (not in tune with them of course)

:)

But yeah, that's bull, I would have tossed a few casts his way for sure...

Edited by BillM

That sounds like a real interesting place to fish.

Lots of friendly people.

If I'm within 100 yards of another boat on St Marys its busy.

well, cept at the Garden, then you got about 30 yards. just be trolling the right pattern

Yep.. you better get used to that kind of crap around the Greater Toronto Area.. as many people have already said.. there are a lot of fisherman, and not too many good spots (especially during Salmon/Steelhead season).

I'm not really too bothered by this kind of behavior because I'm not exposed to it as much.. I work odd hours and when I head out fishing the tribs for Steelhead or fishing the piers for Salmon its usually the middle of the night or early morning and its basically dead out there, and people don't usually push their way into a tight spot.

But hey, if someone's behavior has bothered you, or you think they've gotten too close feel free to politely talk to them about it, and maybe they will move.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

hahaha! gross!

that's why i avoid the GTA like the plague!

if someone fished that close to me i would cast over his line EVERY cast until he found a more reasonable range.

Im ashamed to say this but ....after several warning to a guy crossing my line and fishing literally right in my pocket ...after the third time ....i pushed him in the river ...needless to say he had to go and change his clothes so i got to enjoy the rest of the day fishing with lots of room as everyone that was there shyed away from me ....lol...

Cheers guys, pretty much as I thought, it's silly season and it's in the middle of town, guess I'll have to look around for somewhere a little quieter.

Biteme - hope to see you down there at some point :) As for 3 in that slot - to stand next to each other, yes, but what's the point if you have to cast straight ahead time after time? <_<

The best thing to do is to start talking to the guy and just keep chatting away until he gets so annoyed with you he'll usually leave on his own. Really chat him up and bother him. It usually works.

Edited by timmeh

Unfortunately the best way to solve your problem involves money... you need to (if possible) buy yourself a canoe or a kayak (and of course have the means to store and transport it). Shore fishing in populated areas always means "competition" with other people, especially in popular areas at peak times, and really goes against the grain of what fishing is all about - a relaxing time involving you, the water and the fish.

Unfortunately the best way to solve your problem involves money... you need to (if possible) buy yourself a canoe or a kayak (and of course have the means to store and transport it). Shore fishing in populated areas always means "competition" with other people, especially in popular areas at peak times, and really goes against the grain of what fishing is all about - a relaxing time involving you, the water and the fish.

I think you've hit the nail on the head there, Jocko especially with the last sentence. Those fishing kayaks looks great - rod holder and all that B)

I'm not meaning to moan about anything, being able to to drive 5mins from my house, setup by the lake on a nice evening and fish is brilliant, bearing in mind almost all fishing in the UK involves paying for a day ticket on top of your annual license - just trying to understand the etiquette really.

Broke Back Fishing :D - I'll look for a pink cap next time I'm up at BPS :D

I'm not meaning to moan about anything, being able to to drive 5mins from my house, setup by the lake on a nice evening and fish is brilliant, bearing in mind almost all fishing in the UK involves paying for a day ticket on top of your annual license - just trying to understand the etiquette really.

Not taken as a "moan" by anyone, I'm sure.

I wish you hadn't mentioned day tickets. :huh::D

Some government type will pick up on this and think it's a great idea to

regulate fishing (a.k.a. grabbing more money out of our pockets). ;)