Shopping for a new 4x4

Canoe2fish

Hey everyone, I'm looking for advice from experienced 4x4 owners here. I'm looking at a mid sized truck with the capacity to haul/tow on occasion. 8 cylinders are out of the question as this truck will be seeing a ton of highway miles.

so far the only definates I'm looking to meet are;

-crew cab,

-towing capacity - 4000-5000lbs

-true 4x4 with hi-low range

-6' box (Hauling a sled, ATV, Building supplies etc...5' box is too short(?)

-Fuel effieciency during normal everyday driving

So far the only thing that looks close is the Nissan Frontier. I know there is the GMC /Chev Canyon/Colorado but the Nissan is sitting better with me with the 1' longer box and higher quality rating. I haven't looked at Toyota yet and I'm not sure I want to get into a Durango.

Is there anything I'm missing?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Cheers,

C2F

i would rethink your v8 vs 6 cyl reasoning. if the majority of your driving is on the highway, the v8s typically do as well as the 6 cyls and in some cases better than 6 cyls (esp. when towing) on the highway. they simply don't have to work as hard.

in city driving, the v8s will typically be thirstier.

Thanks folks. The Tacoma is a sweet truck, but I'm worried the 5' box (No long box available) will be too short to be effective.

I hadn't considered full sized trucks that had the variable valves (like the Hemi Dodge)...I'll look into that one. I'm driving a newer F-150 work truck now and just got out of a full sized Silverado. The fuel consumption in the ford is 30% worse...its terrible!! Both base model trucks but the power and economy with the chevy was night and day. Makes me wonder if these fuel ratings are nonsense to begin with...

-crew cab,

-towing capacity - 4000-5000lbs

-true 4x4 with hi-low range

-6' box (Hauling a sled, ATV, Building supplies etc...5' box is too short(?)

-Fuel effieciency during normal everyday driving

Is there anything I'm missing?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Cheers,

C2F

Well there's always the remaining option of driving a pre '07 Dodge with a 5.9 Cummins. I've got the Quad cab, big enough for adults that don't need a reclining rear sofa, 4x4 with 2H/4H/4L non electric shift, 6 1/2' box, and, 4-5000 lb towing capacity :lol: , I think you could probably hitch Brians Ford on with the 4-5K and still not really notice it and, it still gets around 23mpg empty and around 18-19 with a 22' travel trailer behind it. I guess Brian would get a bit of a free ride.. :P

Edited by Fisherman

think you could probably hitch Brians Ford on with the 4-5K and still not really notice it and, it still gets around 23mpg empty and around 18-19 with a 22' travel trailer behind it. I guess Brian would get a bit of a free ride..

To think I called you friend.LOL

I must admit,Im looking again and looks like an 8cyl will be what Im forced to buy. Question is,2x4/4x4 and new or used?

Thanks guys. I'll be comparing the fuel economies in the small 8cyls over the 6s to see if it is really worth it. I like this Ford, but I wouldn't buy one. Again the power and economy are night and day poorer than the chevy was. I used to go a week and a half on one tank, now its virtually 1 week bang on. And we are comparing apples to apples here.

This truck has to be a combination of work and play so real operating costs need to be weighed out carefully. Does anyone other than Dodge offer variable valve timing?

I asked the dealer at the ford place, where are the 6cyl trucks.He tells me no one wants them any more.

WHAT?

"no one wants those anymore" means "we're all out of those, but we've got a lot full of something else which my boss wants me to push" in dealer-speak. The dealer thinks you're going to be swayed based on the "fact" that what you would prefer to purchase is considered unpopular amongst consumers. If 6 cylinders were unwanted, then the lot would be full of them, not 8s.

I would have told the dealer, "I don't know about what other people want nowadays, but I want a six banger. Can you sell me one or should I look elsewhere?"

A dealer at Toyota was trying to sell me a new car, when I asked about 2-4 year old used cars, he said, "I wouldn't even look at those...they're not safe, barely road-worthy." I asked him, "So if I buy a new Toyota off you today, it will be unsafe for the road in 2-4 years?" It was one of the few times I ever say a salseman speechless.

I have had 4X4 Fords and GM's and the best advice I can give you now is take a LONG and HARD look at the Toyota Tundra's. This is one REFINED SOLID truck.......you have your choice of the small V8 (4.7) or the Big Boy V8 (5.7) with it's 6 speed double overdrive tranny.

If you are serious about towing 4-5K then you will be making a huge mistake getting any V6 engine. At least check out this Tundra site while your still looking.

http://www.toyota.com/tundra/

Honda Ridgeline falls almost into this catagory. The only downfall is the 5 foot bed. Although I have had two xr 200 dirtbikes in the back no problem. Have also had the occasional sheet of plywood in the back, but not much. The tow hook and bed hooks make it easy to secure. Just got into my second one (leased) It's easy for me to say this is the perfect "pretend" truck for me.

Thanks guys. I'll be comparing the fuel economies in the small 8cyls over the 6s to see if it is really worth it. I like this Ford, but I wouldn't buy one. Again the power and economy are night and day poorer than the chevy was. I used to go a week and a half on one tank, now its virtually 1 week bang on. And we are comparing apples to apples here.

What motor is in the F150. The 4.6 (which I own) is not as good on mileage or power as the 5.4. I bought used and the price was right so I didn't have much choice, but the 5.4 has a lot of guts and the mileage is slightly better as well.

Ford raised,and will die a ford guy.

Amen Brother.

I have had 4X4 Fords and GM's and the best advice I can give you now is take a LONG and HARD look at the Toyota Tundra's. This is one REFINED SOLID truck.......you have your choice of the small V8 (4.7) or the Big Boy V8 (5.7) with it's 6 speed double overdrive tranny.

If you are serious about towing 4-5K then you will be making a huge mistake getting any V6 engine. At least check out this Tundra site while your still looking.

http://www.toyota.com/tundra/

Better look at the canadian site for prices

Tundra