Favorite Crankbait Company?

ozaibak1

Lhouse soccer's post about Rapala today was definitely interesting, and got me thinking... maybe Rapala isn't the only crankbait company I should buy from!

I mean, undoubtedly, they've built up an extremely strong brand that is now synonymous with crankbaits for most people (including myself). That being said, they are still quite pricey, and people are saying their craftsmanship has declined since they've switched their manufacturing operations.

That being said, if I wanted to buy a non-Rapala crankbait, which company would you recommend? And I'm not talking about a specific kind of crank. Which alternative brands are a solid choice, based on performance, durability, and price?

I bought a bunch of Rapalas this year and don't plan on buying more cranks for quite some time, but when that time does come, I wouldn't mind testing out something different.

i gotta say rapala still has the best product out there even if they brake easier then other companies they do catch more fish. I have around 70 rapalas and probably 20-30 other cranks from different companies and i gotta say i dont use non rapala cranks to often. if rapala some how went under and all rapalas got sold out i'd have to go to with probably storm, although doesnt rapala own storm?? i sometimes use the hot n tots, thundersticks, etc. you cant beat a good old rapala, they are like cars, you get some that last forever and you get some lemons. i got rapalas that have been through hell and back a dozen times with hardly any paint left and had to change the hooks a number of times, then i've had some that have lasted like buddys and have the lip snap off first couple hours or get bounced off a rock and crack it.

Reef Runners! Great action and anyting will hit them.

I have yet to see a Reef Runner come out of the package and run true, they ALL need tuning right from the factory. And the hooks are crap.

Stupid tough baits though, and they work.....that is once you get them working.

....although doesnt rapala own storm??.....

Yup, though after Normark initially tried cheaping them out too they received a flurry of bad press and mail and seemed to have gone back to the originals and staying with the status quo. The 1st year batch of bad baits got sold off at bargain prices, these are the ones popping up at Dollarama's and Bass Pro's Spring Sale in the jon boats out front for $1. Hot'N'Tots with plastic lips have the same longevity as Rapala's, that is about one day. Probably made in the same factory as Rapala's now.

My list of fav crank names (I've been off Rapala for awhile and too cheap to buy Lucky Crafts):

Salmo -- The quality baits Rapala's used to be. I have Hornets that I've ground 1/8" off the lip bumping the bottom for so long and still catch fish

Cordell -- Best of the budget baits, use Spots & Redfins more than any other cranks nowadays. Change the hooks.

XPS -- Bass Pro did a really good job on these, nice action, the suspending baits actually suspend neutrally, and I've caught chinooks on the 4" minnows with stock hooks. Still early to fall in love with them but they get Rookie Of The Year honours.

Got a couple of those, used to use them in Erie for pickerel.... :)

I think we even caught salmon on them downrigging, lol

Oohh and the flying lure!!

Remember those infomercials?! "It does what no other bait can"

I was twelve and as I recall, that's when things started getting a little... crazy!!

Rapalas seem to dominate the market less and less as you go south. They are good, but I definately prefer other company's baits on frequent occasions. I like Strike King and Bandit crankbaits lines in particular. Smithwick too, if you count minnowbaits. Mostly, I find certain baits that work well for me, rather than sticking to a specific company.

Oohh and the flying lure!!

Remember those infomercials?! "It does what no other bait can"

I was twelve and as I recall, that's when things started getting a little... crazy!!

Fidel, there are flying lures in my oldmans tackle box :) :)

They rock for pitching under docks, lol

Spro makes very nice baits.

Their Bronzeye Frog is the best on the market and the Akura Shad is a terrific lipless rattle bait. I had good luck with their John Crew's, Little John bait as well.

There are several other styles of bait in there line up that I haven't tried, but the ones I've used are all first class.

Garry2rs