Bobbers?

eze76

There are many variations of bobbers/floats. The variety covers personal preference, water clarity, water speed, fishing technique, time of day and so on......

There isn't anything wrong with using a red and white. What style/species are you using the bobber for? Depending on that, there might be another bobber/float more suited.

Thats a loaded question.

THeres nothing "wrong" with sticking to a basic red and white........fish have been caught on them since fishing began......but there are so many superior options out there now, youd be silly not to explore.

Again, as bly said, some more information on the application of the float would give everyone a better chance to help out.

I would say in general....the red and white creates maximum resistance because of its profile. Go to more of a pencil profile float (drennan loafer for example)

Try using the lightest bobber possible. I have a preference for slip bobbers, as they add extra weight on the end of your line for maximum casting distance, and you avoid the nunchuck tosses that can result in tangle lines.

good luck

When I first started fishing all I did was float fish a piece of worm ... I liked to use the longer type floats as opposed to the red/white round ones mainly because the round ones don't get above the water surface much and it's hard to see when your bait is way out there.

My favourite are the Blackbird slip floats as they have a nice plastic cap with a smooth hole in the top and they seem to weight a bit more. Great for longer casts. Second are the thill floats. They are a little lighter and offer a little less resistance on a stike. Both work equally well. I like the plastic bobber stoppers that I get a Walmart, but I'm sure you can get them at a tackle shop anywhere. I always put a small bead between the bobber stop and the float. You can make your own bobber stopper using a small piece of Dacron or cheap Black Nylon line (20-30 lb test is best). Just make a 5 wrap uni-knot over the fishing line, tighten and trim the ends. Slip on a small bead , the float, then tie on a hook. Put a couple of round slip (they spin less when you reel in) shot and you're done. Set the bobber stopper so that you bait is about 18 inches off the bottom and you are good to go. Use the smallest/lightest bobber you can get away with.

That's the only bobber that I use other than a fixed bobber for steelhead. No more pinched lines. and you can fish any depth you want. I have used a slip boober once to fish for lake trout at 100 feet. Worked well. Dept adjustment is a snap. Just push the bobber stopper up or down as needed.

muddler

Slip bobbers allow you the greatest degree of flexibility. You can fish the float in 6" or 30'. You cannot do the same with a spring bobber. you also remove the tendency of having the line crimped with a spring bobber.

Muddler has done an excellent job of describing the slip float ands set up, just to add to it, here are pictures of 2 examples....

special-rigging.jpg

sllipbobber02_capture_51.jpg

I usually have two kinds of floats with me when I fish...slip float and a steelhead style float.

blackbird_phantom_floats.jpg

Many brands/varieties of these also. Easy to change depth, no line crimp, very little resistance. Another thing I like about this style, if I only have one rod with me and decide I want to switch to casting and retrieving lures, just remove the float and shot, snip off the tubing and you are ready to go, no need to cut the line and retie.

Best of luck to you

If you're using big live bait for big bass the red/white is the way to go, or better yet tie a slightly inflated balloon on the line. It all depends on how light the bait is you're fishing and where you're fishing it.

Like others have said though, the general rule is use the smallest float possible for the job for maximum sensitivity.

For the most part I agree with small and stealth. Then there's shore angling were the weedline or shoal or pads are lust a little further than you can cast. Time for the big boys Phantom 3&1 wood comes in very small to lite pike and the clear plastic slip float are even larger.

Mail those bad boys out .

Garnet

HOLY CRAP :o SO MAN REPLIES lol..

thanks everyone should be going shopping soon for some new bobbers to try out ..

when do i not use a bobber ???

eze76, all of those bobbers in the PIC in my post above (except for the 1st one from the left in the bottom row) were bought at Le Baron which should be very close to where you live - both in Mississauga.

I would not use a bobber if I were fishing for pan fish. If lures did not work (for fish like bass and pike), I would change to a bobber. If the bottom is all weedy, I would use a bobber. For very weedy bottoms, I would use a small balloon as a bobber - see Rich's post.

I have store bought bobber stoppers but I very seldom use them. I use a thin rubber band - attach to line using 2 knots, snip off the ends - but not too closely.

There are two reasons for using a rubber band - they are dirt cheap and they save a lot of time.

A bobber stopper is the first thing that goes up on your fishing line (believe me). Next is the bobber and the hook. Bobber stoppers you buy do not last forever because they are made out of soft rubber. If you have to put a new bobber stopper on your line, you must remove the hook and bobber. Put the bobber stopper up the line and then the bobber and hook. If you use a rubber band, you do not have to detach your hook and bobber. All you have to do is to tie the rubber band above the bobber.

carp-starter