Eating Freshwater Drum

Jonny

Eating Freshwater Drum

A couple of weeks ago I posted my impressions as a result of trying fried freshwater drum. Fillets from a fresh-caught 3 pounder were mild, pleasant-tasting and coarsely flaky - altogether quite good to eat.

I also filleted about a 7 pound drum and froze the fillets. Yesterday, we had a family fish fry and we fried up a mess of breaded pickerel, pike, and the fillets from that drum. Wow, was that a disappointment. The drum fillets were so tough you couldn't cut them with a fork. Even with two forks you could hardly pull the meat apart. I didn't think fish could get that tough!

Whether it was the size of the fish, or the freezing, or a combination of the two, I don't know. But I thought I'd post the information, such as it is.

They are relatives of white bass, so the freezing makes sense. White bass are best consumed fresh for the same reason.

Can't say I agree with this Rich. Sheephead (Aplodinotus grunniens) are members of the Sciaenidae family and not related to White Bass (Moronidae) in any way that I'm aware of.

As for eating/freezing them, I've tried neither.

There's alot of Louisiana drum recipes out there, but most involve making a tomato roux or sauce and baking the fish in it. I think with a lean fish like drum it helps to almost poach it in some kind of liquid.

And I still haven't gotten the courage up to eat one out of Hamilton.

I think with a lean fish like drum it helps to almost poach it in some kind of liquid.

If you think sheephead/fresh water drum are lean you should smoke one and see the OIL drip out of this fish............this is FAR from a lean fish.

• 3 months later...
Salut Guys!Last month I caught a 15 lb.freshwater drum.Has anyone tried to smoke one,and if so,how did you brine it and at what temperature did you smoke it?Thanks

If you caught it last month, a burial might be more fitting than trying to smoke it.

Welcome aboard.

Many times I have frozen fish for months, even close to a year later smoked them........just as good as the day caught.

I used to use one of those Luhr Jensen Little Chief units quite some time ago, remember the instructions said that frozen fillets worked well, in fact it said that freezing actually helps by breaking down the cell structure for better brine penetration, made sense to me. Used frozen fillets once as I recall, no problem but I only did salmon and trout species in it.

Edited by dave524