Thinking I had a snag

splashhopper

I went fishing the local rivers for pike last Sunday.

Came across a nice spot on the Thames and decided to throw a few lures near a reed bed.

When I changed to this lure, it seemed to catch up all the time... well at least I think it was catching up...lol

Finally did get caught on something.

So I straightened out my rod and gave it a gentle pull, so that I wouldn't break the tip, and the "snag " came free immediately :D

I reel it in, thinking I have some weeds stuck to the lure... but nooooo,, I got this stuck on it :lol:

CIMG3177.jpg

Has this ever happened to you ?

And do yo uhave the pics to PROVE IT ! :lol:

Splashhopper

Closest I came to that was thinking I had a snag, yanked on the lure and reeled it in fast....turned out it was a Musky nibbling and when I pulled it's meal away it slammed it.... I cannot post the pic as it was OOS at the time....I was fishing for Pike...

Maureen

honestly this has happend to me twice in the same day ! i was fishing for trout in a little river / creek in the cobourg / grafton area.. snagged a minnow .. i was like what the heck..casted it out + my worm..caught a little trout...during that the minnow got off.. a nother few casts.. hooked into another minnow! figgured i would use it to .. but it fell off during the cast !

(no pictures but my cousin was there)

I don't have any pictures to prove it but I have snagged just about every thing at one point or another. Last week at Doe I caught the marker string a couple of times. What kills me is that it feels like a fish every time, as does a clam or a piece of bark. I think it is in the fact that those types of snags move a bit :dunno:

What getting snagged so many times has taught me is to not make a big fuss when I get a fish or a snag. Play it cool and you will look like much less of a tool when it turns out to be an old boot.

Jim

P.S. Good morning and happy fathers day to all!

Coolest thing I ever snagged was an anchor. The power pro hauled it up...and when my buddy saw it, recognized it as the one he had lost 10 years prior...it dug into the mud so badly that he couldn't pull it up for fear of tipping the canoe he was in, and had to cut the rope! Good ol' power pro :lol:

I'm still not sure what we're looking at in the pic though...looks like weeds on your lure from here. :dunno:

I've never caught a minnow before.

I was ice fishing last winter, and caught someones line that they had left down over night (night lining!) Had a 12 Lb Laker on it, that was swimming in circles under the hole. He eventually pulled enough line out, and got tangled around my line.

Free fish. Gotta love it.

My wife and I were trilling for Musky on the French a couple years ago and we went through a thick weedbed. She said she was caught or the lure was full of weeds. Stopped the boat to check and as she pulled what seemed to big a big mess of weeds, a nice sized musky came to the surface about 10 yards out. A few rolls and she must have hit the line as ... SNAP and she was gone. Looked to be a nice size ... maybe high 30's (inches) / give or take. (I'll let the explatives that followed out of the post).

Good on you Maureen ... If I am correct, I remember the event from Lakair last year.

Edited by Rich Clemens

Coolest thing I ever snagged was an anchor. The power pro hauled it up...and when my buddy saw it, recognized it as the one he had lost 10 years prior...it dug into the mud so badly that he couldn't pull it up for fear of tipping the canoe he was in, and had to cut the rope! Good ol' power pro :lol:

I'm still not sure what we're looking at in the pic though...looks like weeds on your lure from here. :dunno:

Its a little minnow.

hah! Now I see it...thanks Ciceri :rolleyes:

Glad you asked. I was trying to decide between a little bit of salad or a big lure. Didn't occur to me I was looking at a minnow. That's a minnow with some serious attitude. I've had little bitty bass take on some pretty durned big lures but never anything like that.

JF

Wire-lining for lakers on Wawa Lake a few years ago, I thought I had hooked a small one. It turned out to be the sole of a running shoe. I took a day or two of merciless ribbing from the guys about catching a "freshwater sole".

hah! Now I see it...thanks Ciceri :rolleyes:

Haha, no problem.

I have snagged a carp in the back while trolling, thought it was a big muskie. Also snagged a perch while my Rapala was going through some weeds. Also caught an anchor trolling, cleaned it up and use it now. Caught a skateboard once aswell. Friend caught a complete fishing rod. And one time my friend, his brother and I were in the canoe and hit a stump and my friend fell over dropping his rod, luckily his brother ended up catching it 20 minutes later. I'm sure there is a couple others I am forgetting, Scugog has a lot of stuff on the bottom.

well if anybody if fishing out of Port Colburn and snags a brand new stratic 3000 with 30lb powerpro green, 10ft 8lb flour lead with a 1/2 oz blackish tube on a 7ft MH Bass Pro (older green style) XPS series spinning rod......please bring her home to daddy! Lost her in November and although she was the oldest rod I own, she was a keeper....the reel was new last year too!

P.S. 17ft boats have no place in like 100 ft waves or what ever it was that hit us out there!!!!!

I got Dave Mercers yellow minnow bucket.... Just kidding! :D

Other then the std stuff I did get someones minnow trap back when I was a kid. Nothing new or odd in the past 3-years though. I find golfballs in our lake all the time yet never snagged one.