Just a Rant

BITEME

Better yet, have we the national budget to fund it?

JF

nope...the auto workers took it all :rolleyes:

mandatory service would be ridiculous in a country like canada and it will never happen so i dont see why someone would even get their hopes up.

Anyway I believe that every kid that gets out of high school should have to serve at least 2 to 3 years of service before they go to the work force or school I have always believed this and will support it always if it comes up. I truly think it would put things in perspective for all and yes there will be losses but you do this for your country.

I strongly disagree with you that it should be mandatory, but looking at your avatar, I don't know if I should! Guess what, 'mandatory military service' is how we get things like the Hitler Youth, in fact, making almost anything MANDATORY is a step closer to a dictatorship. I strongly disagree with people who impose their views on everyone, whether they are right or not. Regardless of the initial intention and novel purpose, things evolve, sometimes for the worse. That's how you get billionaires in a communist system.

I also think politics should be avoided on the board, let's face it, it's the most emotionally charged subject and everyone has very strong opinions. It WILL divide the message board. Let's focus on things that unite us instead... like fishing!

Edited by Bass Killer

I'm speaking about mandatory service now, not an opinion on what would be right for Canada as I'm a US citizen. I served in the US Navy during the Viet Nam war, and while I volunteered and would not have been drafted due to my draft number, many of those I served with were drafted, and it is from that group I draw this conclusion. While mandatory military service may be good for many young people, but it's not necessarily good for the military. I don't think it should be the military's nor the taxpayer's responsibility to try to train the untrainable, and at least in the U.S. there are a whole lot of 18 year old kids that would be nothing but a burden on our military. If my life were on the line, I'd like to know that the guys or gals I'm fighting with chose this career path and have proven they belong.

Your right in a few ways. Not right in Canada I totally agree. Canada is probably Half new comers that were running from war in the First place now. ( don't expect them to fight for this Country) We have a province that would rather separate than fight for this Country and its growing. Yes you are right as mandatory Service would ruin our Forces. We seen it with the french Army. Their conscripts and professional Soldiers (Volunteers) night and day but they separate them. It would only work in Canada if they did it on the Week Ends. The Reserves do this all the time and they still find time to study. The young men of Canada will learn discipline both military and social, Team work, Esprit De Corps, Navigation, Social Skills and of course the Trade that they are assigned as well as History. And of course they could be used for the aid to Civil Power like the next time Toronto gets into a snow storm.

Your right in a few ways. Not right in Canada I totally agree. Canada is probably Half new comers that were running from war in the First place now. ( don't expect them to fight for this Country) We have a province that would rather separate than fight for this Country and its growing. Yes you are right as mandatory Service would ruin our Forces. We seen it with the french Army. Their conscripts and professional Soldiers (Volunteers) night and day but they separate them. It would only work in Canada if they did it on the Week Ends. The Reserves do this all the time and they still find time to study. The young men of Canada will learn discipline both military and social, Team work, Esprit De Corps, Navigation, Social Skills and of course the Trade that they are assigned as well as History. And of course they could be used for the aid to Civil Power like the next time Toronto gets into a snow storm.

My son joined the Reserves the day he turned 16. He's doing his second Combat Engineer course in Gagetown this summer and then doing 2LC's(??) course and will come out of there as a Master Corporal. I have never seen an 18 year old kid with such good working discipline. I am so proud of him, but with all this army training away from home, I have to mow my lawn cause he's never around to do it for me.

By the way I showed him how to play Euchre cause the last time the army went to Toronto they played cards instead of cleaning up the snow.

Edited by wallyboss

I chose to spend 3 years in the army and I don't regret a minute of it, if in fact if I could go back, I would probably stay in.

I was very proud of who I was and what I was doing. I started out heading down a rough road when I was younger but it didn't take long to realize that life wasn't just all about me.

My attitude changed quite quickly, I served on many honor guards, compeated in many small arms compitions, learned how to jump from a plane, survive in some rough conditions, and most of all, how to be part of a team. I was very good at what I did because I loved doing it and there was never a prouder moment than when I stood on guard for my country and family.

I was only 18, feared nothing and believed in death before dishonor. When I was 21, I believed that the best way to serve my country and my family was to continue my education so I left the army to go back to school full time. In hindsite I should have stayed in the army and continued my education but I made a choice.

I am still very proud of the little contribution I was able to make, of the people I served with, of those that serve today and of our country.

For those that don't believe in it or choose to crticize those that do! Just remember that those who have served and do serve today are the reason you have the right and freedom to speak your mind.

Oh Canada, I stand on guard for thee (and will until the day I die)!

I joined the US Navy as a Seabee when I was 17.Did me a world of good and would do the same for most 17 year olds.A couple of years serving your country would teach a lot to these young boys with their entitlement mentality.After my 6 years I worked in a shop that had mostly ex military and we were the most productive shop that company had.Teamwork and respect for others go a long way and are not such a bad thing to learn.The feminization of our youth has begun for sure.

I chose to spend 3 years in the army and I don't regret a minute of it, if in fact if I could go back, I would probably stay in.

I was very proud of who I was and what I was doing. I started out heading down a rough road when I was younger but it didn't take long to realize that life wasn't just all about me.

My attitude changed quite quickly, I served on many honor guards, compeated in many small arms compitions, learned how to jump from a plane, survive in some rough conditions, and most of all, how to be part of a team. I was very good at what I did because I loved doing it and there was never a prouder moment than when I stood on guard for my country and family.

I was only 18, feared nothing and believed in death before dishonor. When I was 21, I believed that the best way to serve my country and my family was to continue my education so I left the army to go back to school full time. In hindsite I should have stayed in the army and continued my education but I made a choice.

I am still very proud of the little contribution I was able to make, of the people I served with, of those that serve today and of our country.

For those that don't believe in it or choose to crticize those that do! Just remember that those who have served and do serve today are the reason you have the right and freedom to speak your mind.

Oh Canada, I stand on guard for thee (and will until the day I die)!

My Dad did five years in the Navy before I was Borne and you would think he did twenty. he loved it , Regretted getting out and it seemed like the Happiest time of his life. He had great stories that i loved to hear as a kid and understood it even more as an adult. The poor guy was born with a birthmark covering half his face. He used to joke that the Army didnt accept him because he wasn't pretty enough. So he jumped the trains from Montreal to Winnipeg and joined the Navy. Love ya Dad ..RIP

I don't believe in making it mandatory but youth of today definately need some thing to start them out right, Maybe pick stones & help bale hay for a summer, I've been an adult leader in Scouts & an Adult advisor for a up to 64 Kids in an Archery club, now a 4-H leader of a Fishing club about 30 members, kids need rules that are enforced and they need things to keep them busy

Richard

How does a Canadain kid getting blown up by a road side IED in some village in Afghanistan grant me the right and freedom to speak my mind?

what if we don't believe in war?

Coming from You. Id Jail you in a heartbeat if Canada asked for your services ( Yes it would be because of War) and you refused. Actually Id volunteer to be your Friendly Jailer.

How does a Canadain kid getting blown up by a road side IED in some village in Afghanistan grant me the right and freedom to speak my mind?

Because that Kid is a protector of your Nation where you have the right to speak and vote for your leaders without getting shot. His only mistake is that he happened to be doing his duty for Canada when your Nation ( Canada) told him to go overseas as a representative and protector of this Nation when called upon. He did not ask to go, but he also did not refuse when called upon. We do have some courageous selfless Canadians. HE DID NOT EVER HIDE BEHIND THE CANADIAN FLAG. DO YOU.

i guess I schools don't teach enough history............that's a sad statement

Could you show me on a Map of Canada where any of the following are:

Vimy Ridge

Ypres

Passchendaele

Somme

Dieppe

Hong Kong

Normandy

Oh wait, here is one: The Battle of the Gulf of St. Lawrence, which saw German U-boats penetrate the Cabot Strait and the Strait of Belle Isle to sink 23 ships between 1942 and 1944, marked the only time since the War of 1812 that enemy warships inflicted death within Canada's territorial waters.

Canadians have being giving their lives overseas to keep Canada safe and free and to support others. Would you prefer that we wait until our children are being blown up by road side IEDs as they play before we act? Believe me it could happen!

I was born with the right and freedom to speak my mind and to be free. Just because some politician (or the so-called society they have created) wants to take that right away from me, means nothing to me. Just because I happened to be born inside borders that were created by some slimeball politician means nothing to me. Just because some idiot politician has decided to go to war means nothing to me. All of the world's problems are created by politicians, and supported by those who believe in their pathetic systems. Canada's soldiers are not defending our freedom in this day and age, they are supposedly defending someone elses.....if you believe that's why they are over there! Do you actually believe that politicians who screw their own people over every day really care about individual freedoms half way across the world? Dream on, there's another agenda.

Yes, I am unpatriotic, so what, who says I have to be. Who's gonna make me? Couldn't care less about your imaginary borders or where you're from. I look after myself and my family and couldn't give a crap about anybody else as nobody else gives a crap about me and my family.

Sorry Holdfast....go ahead and tear me a new one.