tilly

You forgot Yellow Pickerel......... :lol:

http://www.borealforest.org/fish/walleye.htm

Stizostedion vitreum

Walleye

"Yellow Pickerel"

walleye.jpg

Description

Distinguishing Features - The largest member of the Perch family, the walleye generally has an olive-green back, with color gradually fading to a cream-color belly. The sides usually have some darker banding. The forward dorsal fin is adorned with sharp spines and the mouth has many sharp teeth; it has large, milky eyes, specially adapted for seeing in the dark.

Size - Average Weight - 1.5 kg (3 lb) but walleye over 5 kg (10 lb) are not uncommon.

Habitat

Found throughout NW Ontario around deeper shoals during the Summer and in the shallows during the spring and fall. Spawning occurs in the shallows of gravelly bays or river mouths in spring after ice break-up.

Notes

The walleye is the most popular of NW Ontario game fish, known for its delicious meat. It's diet consists mainly of minnows, leaches, insects and small crustaceans.

Return to Top of Page

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not correct sir official scientific name is now sander vitreum. Taxonomist decided that that european zander was discovered and catolouged first and it is to similar to belong to another genus entirely. Edited by Musky or Specks

Walleye, zander, and suager are all members of the perch family. The walleye and sauger used to be considered to be a different genus than zander. They have now been re-classified as a member of the same genus as zander. Walleye are still a seperate species from zander; but they are in the same genus.

Yes I know KPCOGS. Its just something we teased my son about because the only ontario game fish he had not caught was a walleye and then he finally caught one right after the change in genus and we keep telling him hes still never caught a walleye its only Zander that hes caught.

Guest gbfisher

I didnt write it. :dunno: but I'll take your word for it. ;)

na,,,,,,It's a yellow Pickerel... :lol:

Edited by gbfisher

In my inner circle where we all fish for "walleye" on Lake Erie (and other lakes) we refer to them as "fish". So when my buddy Don calls and says he got 4 fish yesterday I KNOW he is referring to "Yellow Pike"......OK, walleye or pickerel, Eh.................. :)

A walleye is what the yanks call a pickerel, and a pike looks like a muskie.

That is never going to change for me, right or wrong, lol

Although I am a NY Yankee HATER I will give them the benefit of the doubt and say they are no authority when it comes to fishing and baseball for that matter....... :lol:

Edited by Billy Bob

When I moved here from Hamilton, I used to get into many arguments about their 'true' name being walleye. After living in the "south" for 12 years now though, I even find myself occasionally talking about pickerel fishing. lol

Call them lame fighters but good tasting.

My answer to this question is always the same. Take 7 of them on a stringer to a C.O. and see what the ticket reads. I'll bet you the words pickeral or pickerel won't be on there anywhere. It will say "exceeding the daily limit for walleye".

• 4 years later...

And now to confuse things a walleye is neither a pickeral or a walleye anymore but has been designated a zander. It use to be a member of the perch family but the scientific community got together and changed it. Just like they did a few years back when they made the rainbow trout a member of the pacific salmon family

I'm afraid you're mistaken. A Zander, although being in the same family as walleye and perch, is a different fish. It only occurs in the Eastern hemisphere, mostly on the European continent and is much larger on average, the record being well over 40 pounds.

Walleye, zander, and suager are all members of the perch family. The walleye and sauger used to be considered to be a different genus than zander. They have now been re-classified as a member of the same genus as zander. Walleye are still a seperate species from zander; but they are in the same genus.

True. The Zander is only found in the Eastern hemisphere, primarily on the European continent.