fishing off season, catch and release acceptable?

I was meeting a freind at a launch a few days ago, and met a man who was fishing with a big spinning rod, with bottom bouncer and a worm. I asked what he was fishing for:

-Sturgeon!

-Aren't they out of season right now?

-yeah but I just do catch and release so its ok.

-really? seasons only mean you cant keep em, but you can still catch and release?

-yeah for sure, my buddies were out bass fishing last week, now is the best time to catch the big ones!

-really? so they catch a bunch of big ones this time of year?

-oh big ones.. and lots of em too.

I saw a test filmed on tv once, where two guys wanted to prove that if you catch a bass off it's nest that it takes a long time for it to find its way back during which predators move in the take the eggs.

In fact, one guy casted at the nest to catch it, while the other was underwater with a camera filming the bass. It took forever for the bass afterwards to make its way back to the nest.

that same day(in May), I saw a boat trolling 2 heavy rods with giant spinnerbaits at 4+ mph. gee I wonder what he was fishing for... what's wrong with poachers? all you have to do is wait a couple extra weeks, then you can fish for your favourite species the whole summer! In the mean time, try and learn to catch other species!

I agree with you, targeting species out of season is unacceptable, and against the law. C&R is not ok, exactly for the reason you mentioned, you completely disrupt their spawning behaviour/pattern, even if just for a short while. Some will argue that in the case of bass there should be no closed limit, and well, I am no expert but I don't really see any benefit to it. If anything, I would like to see more limitations put in fishing during the spawn, even for panfish.

it's wrong

and I would snap their picture and call the MNR, tell the guy poaching if it's legal you will not mind me calling the MNR..see how fast they decide the forgot to do the honey do list and must leave

Wow, quite the guy indeed. Now I myself caught a few OOS bass this year but in respect to that I was not targeting them and only wanted to capture a quick memory.

Aside from than, I was at Scugog with Profisher25 the other weekend for that little perch trip we did and I saw a teen heading to the causeway with 2 or 3 rods, one of them with a spinnerbait, the other with a soft plastic minnow(large). Kinda sad when people are catching bass that early in the year in water bodies are not warm and fish are at least post spawn.

The only thing I can do is to hope for more CO's to catch people fishing for OOS fish. And hopefully catching those that even keep them.

MTBF

Aside from than, I was at Scugog with Profisher25 the other weekend for that little perch trip we did and I saw a teen heading to the causeway with 2 or 3 rods, one of them with a spinnerbait, the other with a soft plastic minnow(large).

That's what I use for pike!

Wouldnt you want to be the Conservation Officer that heard this Clowny make this statement. How many of you would forgo the warning and Ding Him. Oh BABY, it would be my Pleasure and Clowny would of made my Day.

I stand in a firm belief that bass season should simply not exist, if anything only on the great lakes.. however it is lawbreaking no matter what species you catch if the season is not open. If you're willfully targetting that fish outside of it's open season, you're breaking the law. Plain and simple. Bust 'em.

A buddy of mine I haven't seen in a while let me know that he has been out fishin latley.... I said oh yea ? for what ? and he said BASS... I imediatly called him an IDIOT !

His reply was the same as the other guys... " we aren't keeping them ! Plus you catch HUGE ones right now...."

I just walked away !

I was casting a small #5 shad rap last weekend trying to tease some walleye from a weed edge when a muskie took it. Quick release and back it went. Immediately stopped using cranks of any kind and went to jigging. If the muskie were hitting lures that small, then I didn't want any part of that.

Targeting OOS is just wrong...telling a CO that you were just releasing them anyways is a good way to donate your rod and reel to the government.

A couple of years ago, about a week before bass opened, my Bro-in-law was up from Texas. Due to my sister's imposed schedule, he was able to spend only one day at my camp. After an oddly unsuccessful afternoon of jigging for walleye and throwing for pike, we were packing our stuff up at the dock when I saw some little smallmouths in the shallows near the dock. They were obviously not of breeding age, so I tied up a little tube and let my Bro toss it at 'em. He instantly reeled in a quarter pounder...his first and probably last smallie ever, I took a quick pic for my neice (to prove her old man can fish) and tossed it back so it could resume chassing minnows in the reeds. We finished packing up and left.

Sue me. ;)

Some people can't catch them when it's legal. Too hard for them. They'll catch them out of season and take pictures and call them Personal Bests. Poachers Best, I say.

+1

Come down to Bayfront in Hamilton and watch the goobers winch bass off their nests. If it wasn't so sad it would be comical, one clown wearing a Shimano jacket was running around all happy as all get out with his 18" "5lb'er" getting his surly wife to snap pics for 5 minutes, a few others are literally bouncing huge hooks with 1/2" piece of worm off the faces of females on the nests.

When I pointed out the 10lb sheepshead cruising around one guy spent 30 seconds plopping his worm piece infront of it then went back to his "easy" bass. Goobers.

You could literally see the gobies swarm the nest eating eggs every time one was pulled.

Oh and FYI, bass don't eat when they're on the nest, or even after the fry hatch. All that energy they waste when they're caught cuts down their chances of survival by a nice chunk.

And a mile away is some of the best carp fishing in S.Ontario right now.....but hey it's alot more fun to shoot fish in a barrel.

Withh OOS bass fishing, the biggest influence is U.S. media. Because they feature shows where the tactics target pre and spawn bass, and it is not illegal in most states, the boobs expect they should and can do it here.

Growth rates for a bass are double that of Ontario in the Southern states. A 5lb bass, in Ontario, is an old fish. Not so in Florida, Georgia, etc..., so our rules and regs have to reflect differences. I do not believe in Monkey see monkey do. Further, we do not have the enhanced fisheries management programs like habitat restoration projects or stocking for bass, or aggressive enforcement.

You're bang on, Bigugli! Most states that have a year round bass fishery have stocking programs and even then their fisheries are brutal compared to ours! We are blessed to have some of the best bass fishing in the world and it is totally dependent on natural reproduction! As much as I love to fish bass, I'll wait till the season is open!

Dave