Montreal Here We Come...

John

Big Cliff, Barbara and I had been waiting for this trip for some time. Having been the high bidders on Marc's generous donation to Rick's auction, we were ready an off at Lew o'clock Friday morning. To save us some time, Cliff had decided to meet up with us at the 5th Wheel truck stop in Bowmanville. We loaded up his stuff and then went inside for a few calories to keep us going for the next 5 hours or so. Noticed that gas was 7 cents a litre cheaper than average, so we gassed up and headed East.

We arrived at Marc's early afternoon settled in and then went out for a bit to eat.

Marc arrived home around 5.00 from some promotional filming and had tagged over 60 Sauger that day, the anticipation was building. We chatted a little about plans for the next two days and then we setted in with a few beverages.

4.00am came early....we were in the truck and headed to the Larry shortly after 5.30. We arrived at the launch, bought our licenses and permits, launched Marc's boat and headed out. We were trolling for Walleye by 7.20. Picked up an incidental pike and decided to head out into deeper water for Sauger and return to the Walleye's when things warmed up a little. Got into 28' of water, put the jig's on and started bringing them in. Cliff was on fire early putting on a clinic. I guess that Walleye jigging on Sturgeon had given him lots of practice. It wasn't long before before Barbara and I figured it out and pretty soon we were putting them in the boat as well. Marc was measuring and tagging the fish that we caught for the Ministry. Nothing really big, 1-2# fish but great fun and considering I had never seen a Sauger never mind caught one it was a great experience. We were eager to try Marc's trolling method's for Walleye, so we moved into shallower water, switched the jigs to reef runners and then the fun began. I will let the photo's speak for themselves. We headed in around 3.00pm to head back to Marc's. We had arranged with Roy to drop by and seen him and the lovely J that evening for a drink or two. Of course, Roy being Roy he spent what must have been the majority of his and J's day shopping and cooking for our arrival. When we arrived, drinks were served and Roy was in the final stages of preparing one of his specialities. Again, photo's tell the story better. After 3 magnificent courses and much more refreshment and great conversation, we said our goodbye's 'till June and headed back to Marc's to get a little sleep in preparation for a repeat of Saturday.

Sunday was a much warmer day. We did a great job jigging up the Sauger, tagging and releasing probably 20 fish. We put the lures back on and tried to put some more Walleye in the boat. It was a little slower that the day before, but we put a few real nice one's in the boat and a couple of pike as well.

As we had a 6 1/2 hr drive ahead of us, we headed in around 2.00pm, drove back to Marc's, packed up, said our goodbye's and headed West.

This was, in my opinion a weekend to remember. Terrific company in Big Cliff, I look forward to spending time with you again. Amazing hospitality from Roy and J, thanks for a wonderful evening. And thanks Marc for what was probably the most knowledge I have ever gained in two days. I have fished with some professionals before, but Marc takes things to a new level.

Once again, sincere thanks Marc.........I look forward to getting educated again soon.

Edited by John

Here are a few pic's to whet the appetite. Big Cliff and Marc have more that I'm sure we will post soon.

DSCF0577.jpg

DSCF0578.jpg

DSCF0587.jpg

DSCF0591.jpg

DSCF0598.jpg

DSCF0582.jpg

DSCF0600.jpg

DSCF0602.jpg

DSCF0593.jpg

DSCF0594.jpg

DSCF0595.jpg

DSCF0597.jpg

Edited by John

Awesome!!! I am even more excited for my day out with Marc next week, now!

Great friends and fishing - just what life is all about..

Good Fishing,

Justin

Marc mentioned that you would be out with him next week Justin. Looking forward to your report.

Well Roy told me of your visit, but kept all the details secret, so I have been waiting for this report and pictures. Looks like a fabulous time :thumbsup_anim:

You gotta love the double whammy bonus of fishing with Marc then having a gourmet meal cooked by Roy. Excellent guide and excellent cook. Dang those mussels look tasty. Did they come out of the Larry :lol:

Great report John. I am anticipating the other photos.

Joey

Roy's resto bar has the best meals in town

Was a wonderful time with Cliff,John and Barbara

The wormy jerky we had was outstanding

Cliff pepperettes were hit

I laughed till my belly acked

Tks all for the wonderful moment I spent with you

Some great memories

Edited by marc thorpe

Some super looking fish there! And yes, Marc is one of a kind.

It was just a joy having you folks over, John. The door is always open for you here.

As it is always open down here too Roy.

Roy's resto bar has the best meals in town

Was a wonderful time with Cliff,John and Barbara

The wormy jerky we had was outstanding

Cliff pepperettes were hit

I laughed till my belly acked

Tks all for the wonderful moment I spent with you

Some great memories

The pleasure was all ours Marc. We will most definitely do it again.

OK, John has already done a wonderful job of telling of our trip. but here is a bit of a post from me.

Let me start out by saying “this was a trip of a lifetime”! This past weekend is one I will never forget. It all started last winter when I had a chance to bid on a weekend fishing with Marc Thorp that he had so kindly donated in an effort to help out our friend Rick. Obviously we were lucky enough to have the winning bid.

It was the first time Barb and I had met, and I had been kind of wondering how spending 60 some hours in close proximity would go. Within seconds I knew it was going to be ok, Barb has one of those smiles that immediately put you at ease. It didn’t take long to find out that she has a sense of humor to match and she wasn’t going to be a sissy. (well, OK, we did make one trip into shore but it was that or get Marc's seat wet LOL).

As I said, John has done a wonderful job of describing the events, the only thing I can add is that a trip out with Marc shouldn't be called a "fishing trip", it should be called a "CATCHING trip" because he sure knows how to put you on to the fish. Anyway, I am just going to post a few pictures and say thank you to Roy, J, Marc, John, and Barb who all made this a trip of a lifetime for me. Thank you one and all!

gallery_415_187_11498.jpg

gallery_415_187_46602.jpg

gallery_415_187_19692.jpg

gallery_415_187_36314.jpg

gallery_415_187_41264.jpg

gallery_415_187_25428.jpg

gallery_415_187_5875.jpg

Thanks for your addition to a great post Cliff. But still no sauger pics! ;)

Marc was lightening fast in gettin' 'em off the hook, measured, tagged and back in the water that by the time the camera was poised they were gone... :D............ Imagine silver and black Walleye, or Dore Noir as our friends to the East call them.........lol.

It was the first time Barb and I had met, and I had been kind of wondering how spending 60 some hours in close proximity would go. Within seconds I knew it was going to be ok, Barb has one of those smiles that immediately put you at ease. It didn’t take long to find out that she has a sense of humor to match and she wasn’t going to be a sissy. (well, OK, we did make one trip into shore but it was that or get Marc's seat wet LOL).

I can't understand it either Cliff. We offered her the livewell, it was the perfect height for the task at hand.......... :lol:

Excellent/Epic reports and pics y'all!!! :canadian::Gonefishing::thumbsup_anim:

Looks like lots of good fish were caught and a most memorable time was had by all!!! :clapping:

I'm sure the evening at Roy's was most enjoyable, and those Mussels look delectable!!! :P

I'm also glad to see that the Lovely Miss Barbara is looking as lovely as ever!!! ;)

Thanks for taking the time to post those fine reports John and Cliff!!!

Great report guys.

Wow, I know I called my trip with Marc a "trip of a lifetime". Now that makes two. How does he do it?

Anyone take a shower?

Yeah, Cliff and Barbara did, they claim together....... :o Cliff had a permanent smile on his face all weekend and

Barbara wasn't talking... :rolleyes:

At 6'2" it was a character building experience for me.

Marc says that he considers the shower experience his way of breaking the spirit of the client so they learn his

teachings much quicker.... :lol: