Collecting worms for bait

ben306

At home in the UK I had no problems, had a wormery/compost heap in the garden and could have as many worms as I wanted everytime I went fishing.

Now its a little different as Im in a 14th floor appartment. I do have a bucket on the balcony which I intent to use as a mini wormery. But where do I collect them??

There is a bit of a park opposite my block but I cant just go digging up the fields so any suggestions would be good. Want to expand on the fish I catch while Im here and worm has to be one of the best baits for that.

Cheers

Might not be the coolest thing to do in downtown Toronto but after a rain, go out to the park at night with a headlamp (preferably with a red light) and pick as many as you need. If there's lawn sprinklers in the park, you don't even need rain.

I normally start my worm picking at midnight in my yard when the worms are getting kinky with one another B)

I can grab 2 worms at once.LOL

You can also pick them off sidewalks, driveways and the street when it rains...It's even easier to get them there than on the lawn...They're fast buggers.

Hope this helps

PS

If you're planning to use worms around the Islands or Harbourfront, be prepared for lots and lots of gobies (did I mention lots :lol: ) .

Edited by MJL

My 6 yr. old daughter discovered a way to get worms during the day downtown here.

We were at a park and when she saw a robin pulling out a worm, she would scare the robin off

and they would leave behind the worm which we retrieved. Probably caught a dozen worms in 10 minutes.

The other ideas of nighttime and flashlight are good.

Edited by ehg

I normally start my worm picking at midnight in my yard when the worms are getting kinky with one another B)

I can grab 2 worms at once.LOL

EEEWWWWWW!!!

Ben, The dog park beside the Gardiner is a great place for honkin dewies.. After a good rain in the witchin hour, ya might see a head lamp slowly and systematically going accross the greens...

That be me!!

HD

OOH, otherwise, find the worm mounds and spray a mixture of water and mustard powder over them. Dem suckers will squirm right outta their little hidey holes!

OOH, otherwise, find the worm mounds and spray a mixture of water and mustard powder over them. Dem suckers will squirm right outta their little hidey holes!

Another is a mixture of water and dish soap... works everytime for me ;)

Leechman

Edited by Leechman

Ya must have to rince them afterwards... me thinks a container with even trace amounts would make for pretty lifeless, stinky dewies!!

AYOYE!!

No need to rince afterwards..... never have and they're very lively and shinny :)

All the above will will certainly get you worms Ben, dew worms (night crawlers) and they won't do well in a pail on your balconey! They need to be kept cool, like in the fridge cool. Red worms and manure (dung) worms on the other hand will do okay. Red worms can be dug up most anywhere (try local creek valleys and ravines). Manure worms can be found in, well, manure piles which may or may not common to Toronto, depending on who you ask. ;)

Do not pick worms off the side walks or roads they all have road rash and die very easy and that's not pretty.

You will notice some worms from stores don't look just like our natural dew worms, these are Africa breed and much more tolerant to heat and easier to raise.

Garnet

Stick 2 metal posts in the ground about 6 feet apart. water the ground in the area, hook up jumper cables from a car battery to the 2 metal posts and up pops the worms. I have never seen it work but i have heard about it.