premium polarized shades

Raf

as a long time 'el cheapo' polarized sunglasses user i'm finally thinkn it's time to step up to serious eyewear. seems like there are many options out there.. costa del mar, oakleys, h2o optics, etc etc

just wondering what everyone here likes.

at the top of my list right now are the costa del mar 580 amber or green mirror lenses. is there a big difference between the 400 and 580 series lenses?

Oakley is famous for their polarized lenses. Nano Wire 4.0 should be a good choice. It has a titanium frame,super light. Just make sure when you go to sunglasses store, you should always argue for the price. I think 20-30% off is a possible range. You can save money for new tackle.B)

I hear Oakley makes lenses for different fishing conditions.. Shallow, deep water, blue water.. I've got polarized ambers and I absolutely love em. One of the best tools for fishing.

After years of cheapo lenses, I dished a coupla bills last fall and went all out. I'll never look back!! One thing with premium lenses, you always know where they are.

cheers

HD

I hear ya Raf, Nothing like coming off the water and having your eyes hurt all the way home in the car. I too was a user of $15 fishing glasses for way too long. About 2 years ago I bought a decent pair of Bolle from LeBarons. They were wrap around style, Had light amber lenses and kind of a 2 tone coloured frame. Wish I could remember the model name and of course Lebarons doesn't sell them any more. They were only $50 or so which fit in my budget (famous for sitting on my fishing glasses at least 2-3 times a year)

I have a back up pair of the H20 Optix Bermudas and like them just as much. Of all places I found them on sale for $40 in the Optometrist store in Walmart. Check some of the online stores and you might come across a good deal.

thanks gang

anyone try the H3Os? the idea is good - you get different lenses for different light conditions without having to buy separate shades. however they are plastic and i'm being told a glass lense is far superior.

H3O

I hear good things about ocean waves in backwater green too..

Edited by Raf

I have owned 4 pairs of Maui Jim polorized and they are great....titamium too light for the boat and the plastic sports were OK but funny shape for me and glare got up underneath on the boat. I switched to Oakly Flack Jakets and now I own two pairs and 4 sets of lenses for different water and sun conditions....changable lenses are the way o go for sure.

RR

You can go to Oakley's website and customize your glasses, frames, lenses, color, you can even put a personalized name on them. A buddy of mine has an optical store in Scarborough. http://www.theopticallounge.com/ I got my Oakley's there but he also has Maui Jims. I forgot my Oakleys this weekend at Nippissing so I fished in my Donna Karen polarized ones LOL I was freaked that I'd drop them on the boat.

Hey Raf, I've been using the Solar Bats for about 4 years now and the Mossback Green lens is probably the best all around color I have ever used and believe me I have used a bunch. They are very reasonably priced and are super light. Check them out before you spend a wad out there.

They also now have a mossback gradient that starts yellow at the bottom and fades to the mossback on top.

JP

I am a newbie, I don't know too much about polarized glasses. I never had a pair over $30.

What is the diffrence between a pair of Oakley's ($300) and a pair of Berkley ($30)?

Can you see further with the more expensive one? How much?

Lenses are essentially the key in sunglasses, with glass lenses described as being best. Polarization is simply a coating appiled to the lense after it has been created. That is why it is so important to use the proper cleaners when cleaning your lenses.

HH

The Costas look pretty good, I've heard good reviews about their line. I have a pair of really dark Arnettes that are great for real sunny days and a pair of photochromic Smith Optics for all other situations. The less light available, the lighter the tint goes and vice versa when the sky opens up more, the darker the shade. Well worth the money to get good shades though. Just as important as a depth finder IMO.

Hi Raf

the Costa's are great. the 570's (all glass) don't scratch. Period.

My Daughter stepped on them HARD last year after i had owned them for 3 years. Nothing happened. not a scratch. she is almost 90lbs. that was enough for me to go get a second pair.

i like the amber rather then the blue for fishing skies and pike.

i like the blue for big water salmon/eyes

you can get better deals on ebay.

Take care

Speed

I have a new pair of Custom Oakley monster dogs with a polarized gold iridium lens. I am very happy with them and they have a custom etching on the lens that I chose. This is my 8th pair of oakleys and I have also had spy, arnette, bolle, revo, serenghetti and other sunglasses in my life and I keep coming back to oakley. I feel they have the best customer service when things get broken or wear out. Just my opinion though.

Although the Oakley wire 4.0 are nice, my friend has a pair and does not like them as much for fishig as they do not wrap around his face and let light in. I often see him cupping with around his glasses to keep the light our while looking into the water. I never need to do this.

When it comes to optics, spend the most that you can afford!

I have over the years learned that you only have one set of eyes, and the most important thing that one must remember is that this is a tool, I use to teach skiing and I love to fish, so opticts are vital they can be your life saver.

The main role for my optics is not to let me see fish, no it is to let me see the structure so that I can then see if it is a struckture that I want to fish, and also by letting me see the struckture I can also see if it is a section of water that I am comefertable in trying to cross so that I do not end up going for a swim. But as was stated before the difference with good optics is that at the end of the day your eyes are not killing you and you are not as tired.

I just got my new pair of RX glasses they are the top of the line Nikon polarized anti glare and anti scratch lenses, they replaced the exact same thing that has lasted about 10 or so years, the only reason for the replacement was because my perscription changed and I really hated having to change glasses to try on a hook so I went with the progresive bi-focales. In this situation I do not really care what the frame looked like but my optical store had a great fitting pair of Smith sportsman frame so it was easy, the cost was not but when you factor things the last pair I had 10 years if I can do the same or even 5 years I paid 650 so over 10 years that is only 65 bucks a year, and trust me with glasses like this you will allways have them in the case and know where they are so they will not get scrateched or lost.

FLEX

Check out Transition polarized lens by Younger optics. They darken or lighten depending on how much light is out there. Great for fishing from dusk till dawn or during cloudy days. And they can be ordered prescribed. http://www.youngeroptics.com/drivewear.aspx

Only problem is they only sell the lenses, so you have to put it on a frame.

I had them retro fitted onto a pair of oakley nano wires and they work exceptionally well. I use them for everything.

Costco is a carrier for these lenses. I paid $130 plus tax for a set without prescription. Worth every penny.

I've had a pair of polarized Maui Jim's for about 15 years... cost $225 back in the day... so roughly 15$/year :o ...lol!

They have an amber lens, are curved & fit very well. I've had other polarized lenses - Oakley's, Vuarnet (lol! true!) and Ray Bans. None of them can hold a candle to my maui's. I never lost them per se, but I put them away years ago & can't find any of them anymore :)

Either way, if you are shelling out bucks for sunglasses, you won't go wrong with Maui's.

p.-