A quick trip in Algonquin Park

kickingfrog

Well with a four month old at home, fishing trips this year (and the next few) will be harder to arrange. But my wife was taking our son to the states for a weekend shopping trip so I was out the door before the details were firmed up.

A early season solo trip The Park is one of my favourite traditions. A weekender is not my first choice but I'll take what I can get. I left early Friday and was due back Sunday.

Lots of wind and a bit of rain. Rain is not a big deal, although it cuts down on the picture taking with the good camera. This trip was marred however by strong and gusting winds. Wind is a fact of life, and I can handle it solo in my canoe, but the gusting, swilling nature of the winds this trip was a giant pain in the butt.

I made my way to my designated lake with the wind at my side most of the way and I was able to make some good time. The whole way there I was hoping the wind would die down so that I could do some fishing with some semblance of boat control. I had been on and fished this lake before but I had never camped on it. From my maps I had picked out a few probable sites, but first two the sites were less than ideal to land/ launch a canoe from. I finally decided on a site that was back in a small bay and out of the wind.

Not a bad site but that big tree trunk in the water made landing a bit of a challenge.

IMG_0487.jpg

Too windy to fish, so I took a few photos of my site.

IMGP3034.jpg

IMGP3040.jpg

This was a test shot so that I could check-out light levels and framing. The problem was it started to rain shortly after and I went to bed to read and let the rain drops put me to sleep.

IMG_0491.jpg

The morning was sunny so while my water boiled I took a few more photos.

IMGP3069.jpg

My food hanging from a tree.

IMGP3065.jpg

Only calm water, back bay, facing east and early in the am.

IMGP3050.jpg

IMGP3044.jpg

IMGP3052.jpg

After that the cameras went away because it was time to fish. The gusting winds soon returned. It is possible to fish solo from a canoe in windy conditions, but the swirling winds made it very difficult and picture taking was out of the question. Even fighting fish was a challenge because the winds would spin the canoe around as well as pushing me into the heavily treed and rocky shore.

I got 2 lake trout before heading back to camp around mid afternoon. Blue and silver little Cleo's with a dimpled finish.

No fish the rest of the day, and the spotty rain started after diner.

Fished a little bit on Sunday (didn't get any) on my way out but it was a battle. I took this photo after one of the portages in a very protected back bay.

IMG_0495.jpg

Not one of my more memorable trips but it was still special because I was able to really envision a trip like this in the coming years with my son. Special.

Thanks for taking the time to look.

when i go on solo trips i usually end up arguing with myself for not setting up camp earlier...irresponsibility drives me nuts...

nice shots ....take the exact same shots of the same area when your son is older and gets to go ...i see the start of a cool tradition ...maybe for generations to come ....notice the changes in the trees and the waterline from now until then ....but im thinking we might not notice the changes in the colour of your hair....

Nice Job

I've never been much of a camper, excep the usual family camp grounds around with friends.

I know we don't really like to talk about our fears (lol) but when you go in the back country by yourself in Algonquin, doesn't the thought of bears or moose freak you out? I think my first solo trip would be very intimidating.

Does anyone have any "close call" stories?

Edited by Governator

Sweet pics!, Im assuming by the pics, that the fishing wasn't soo great. :( But like all trips to Algonquin, there always fun, rain or shine! :) I actually went myself with my family during March, still a nit of snow on the ground. No fish obviously, but we did see 5 ruffed grouse, 2 huge snowshoe hair, and about 16 deer. Id say thats a pretty good day. Now with the snow all gone, I'll have to plan another trip to Algonquin and try my luck. If not for fishing, I really want to get out and start painting some scenes and landscapes! Good luck next time you head out, and congrats with the kid!

Suggestion... take the family out on a camping trip (it'll give ya' an excuse to get out fishing) :P

Edited by Profisher25

How do you put multiple quotes from different posters into one reply???

Anyway I'll try to respond as best as I can:

No I didn't keep the fish, although I would have got some pictures that way. I don't love the taste of lake trout enough to bother most times.

The lakes have good fishing and the ice-out timing was good as well, but one person fishing in a canoe in unpredictable winds is a big challenge.

I have never had any close calls (I'd type that even if I thought my wife didn't read this). I have only seen a bear once in the park while paddling (more while driving) I have seen more moose than bears (still way more while driving). The raccoons are the biggest nuisance, they always sound like a bear a night too. lol. One time I got up at night to see what all the racket was and when I flashed my light up to the tree that my pack was hanging from to see a raccoon was hanging down headfirst from the tree limb trying to get into my foodbag. The darn thing looked at me and then went right back to trying to get my vittles. It took a couple a stick tosses to dissuade him to look for a meal elsewhere. Thievin' bandits.

The biggest worry I have is getting to the park, lots of bozos on the road. The other big worry is night-time driving through the park and MOOSE. Bowinkle is hard to see. I try hard not to drive through the park at night.

I know we don't really like to talk about our fears (lol) but when you go in the back country by yourself in Algonquin, doesn't the thought of bears or moose freak you out? I think my first solo trip would be very intimidating.

Compared to the sleepless nights, and cranky missus a new born sometimes brings for weeks....months..........I'll take my chances :lol:

very cool ....you got me thinking now....I SHOULD DO THAT!

just head off and camp for a couple of days. Like you we have a new born a couple months younger than your bundle of joy...and yup....fishing has been drastically curtailed(well, by my standards anyway :rolleyes: ).

Pretty impressive stuff considering the conditions....i've caught less in my boat on calm days!!!

Great report, thanks for sharing.