• North Wind
    • South Wind
    • East Wind
    • West Wind
    • Depends on Temperature
    • It's a lunar Phase thing
    • All of the above
    • I beleive it has no effect

In view of the poor bite during this cold snap, I was wondering how many anglers beleive the wind or temperature etc has an effect or not on the success rate.

And yes, I'm sure many of you have heard the old saw:

Wind from the North: Don't go forth

Wind from the South, blows the bait in the fishs' mouth

Wind from the East, fish bite the least

Wind from the West, fish bite the best

:Gonefishing:

I think If you know what you are doing and follow the bait(who follow their food which is blows with the wind) depending on the wind, you will find fish... unless of course the water is Mud clear... I find that cold snaps also cause fish to be more lethargic and less aggressive, just like us in the cold :)

Thats what I have found make the biggest differences...

It all depends where we are fishing. For Lake Ontario, I have found that a south, west or southwest wind has the best results for us. Moon phase has meant nothing, but barometric pressure is a big indicator. I must say however, since I am a shore fisherman, that the murkiness of the water is perhaps the biggest factor.

i think it depends on body of water ur fishing and some other factors, ex... ur fishing a bay and the wind is blowing to the north, u may wanna try the north end, cus the minnows and various bait would get pushed up... just my thought.... good poll clampet!

Edited by urbanangler1990

A change in wind direction almost always means a change in barometric pressure. It's the barometric pressure that does it. Not the wind direction. "Wind from the West, fish bite the best" is mostly true because of the prevailing westerlies. Our wind almost always comes from the west which results in steady barometric pressure. Any change will throw the fish off, depending on species. So, your poem is mostly true. But if we had two weeks of steady east wind, the fishing would be great. But that never happens.

:lol: y not south south east ? :dunno::P

is there that big of a diff between south wind and south east?

Always when I"m on the lake fishing for perch if there's South East winds there perching is on fire. I'm not a wind type of guy really I think when there hungary they bite there not then they don't...

It may have to do with the Lakes' orientation.

If the lake is oblong in shape and is oriented in a West -> East direction, and the wind is coming from the West, or East, then the wind gets a chance to sweep the entire lenght of the Lake and the opposing shore would have some dandy waves.

Just guessing at this, not sure if it has any real relevance. :dunno:

A strong south west wind actually pushes the water out of some of the bays off Lake Erie here, dropping water level affects the fishes bite. East wind usually sucks, means something bad with the weather is happening. Most of the time I just had to deal with it like everyone else.

Mild stable weather is a plus!

Guest skeeter99

i think it is a little mind over matter with the wind, different wind direction food pushed to other part of lake

only thing that effects bite is the barometer

go fishing before snow storm/thunderstorm or temp change "initial part of the low pressure" fishing will be good, during low pressure fishing is slow and at times almost dead at the beginning of the clearing or the high pressure for a day or two till it stabilizes and fish get back on the normal pattern

guys were saying they get great bite when east or southeast wind, this is true because a east or southeast wind at least in ontario signals a storm or low pressure coming and the fish put on the feed bag, It is more the change in barometric pressure that effects the fish rather than the wind

but you can counter act the barometric pressure change by fishing deeper where the fish are less affected by the pressure change

good example is simcoe perch fish the 30 feet of water and it is the most consistent fishing you will ever have if you find a pod of fish

another good example is lake rosseau/joseph/muskoka you can be out in cold/hot windy any direction /snowing/ raining/ hail and you fish for the smallmouth on ledges lets say 35 feet dropping to 85 to 90 the fish are always there and they always bite

Edited by skeeter99

I'd take a good wind over No wind fishing walleye. Doesn't matter so much the direction as long as you change with it. For the most part fish the windblown shorelines. The wind/wave action will stir up things on bottom and get all levels of the food chain going. Baitfish forrage on organisms stirred up off bottom and the walleye move in to feed as well. That's a good rule of thumb but at times you can and will find a decent 'off wind' bite, ie fishing the leeward side of a pt or island. Often times the wind creates a 'wrap around' effect or pushes a current around a pt./island.

In short.... I don't care what direction the wind is blowing, as long as it IS blowing!

I'm a firm believer in the lunar phases and the wind from the west, fish bite the best, but I've also heard - The wind from the east brings out the beast.

Joey

Interesting that you mention the East.....all of my larger walleye have been caught during an east or north east wind.....hmmmm?

bly

I'd take a good wind over No wind fishing walleye. Doesn't matter so much the direction as long as you change with it. For the most part fish the windblown shorelines. The wind/wave action will stir up things on bottom and get all levels of the food chain going. Baitfish forrage on organisms stirred up off bottom and the walleye move in to feed as well. That's a good rule of thumb but at times you can and will find a decent 'off wind' bite, ie fishing the leeward side of a pt or island. Often times the wind creates a 'wrap around' effect or pushes a current around a pt./island.

In short.... I don't care what direction the wind is blowing, as long as it IS blowing!

Right on Ben! This is very true on Nipissing. Its just sometimes difficult to get to those spots if the wind is blowing hard. Westerly winds are most common and most of us get to know where to fish at that time. When the wind changes the fish tend to migrate to another area.

Edited by Nipissing

A change in wind direction almost always means a change in barometric pressure. It's the barometric pressure that does it. Not the wind direction. "Wind from the West, fish bite the best" is mostly true because of the prevailing westerlies. Our wind almost always comes from the west which results in steady barometric pressure. Any change will throw the fish off, depending on species. So, your poem is mostly true. But if we had two weeks of steady east wind, the fishing would be great. But that never happens.

....Dan has hit the nail on the head here in my opinion. After barometric pressure everything thing else is secondary.