Camera, NF

nautifish

I am looking into purchasing a new camera. I was out yesterday looking at a few and want some oppinions from you all....What u use what u like so on and so on. What you feel is worth the money. These cameras i am lookng at are over a thousand spondules each.......I really want a good qaulity camera but also one that takes video footage.

i am looking either the digital eos rebel xti D-slr

or the

digital rebel xt slr.

Sp opinions please.

Thanx :D

The rebel is a great camera, i am a huge fan of Canon Cameras in general.

If you are using it for fishing pictures, I recommend something a little smaller and waterproof like the olympus 720 - you can take photos underwater with it!

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/...sp?product=1225

I have been wanting to get it for about a year now. There may even be a newer one (725 i think)

Nauti.. let me know which one you narrow it down too... BEFORE you purchase it... I will find out what sort of a deal I can get for you. I still have alot of friends in Management positions @ Future Shop.

If I can help you out I will. At the very least you'll know the markup on it and will give you an idea on haggling for the best deal possible.

Do me a favour so I can look into it further for you?? goto futureshop.ca and give me the Web ID's of the cameras your interested in and I will make a call.

Gerritt.

Edited by Gerritt

We found at Christmas, with our youngest daughter in Achitectural Engineering needing a high end camera, Nikon D80, ..as well as our 4th year New Media daughter wanting a new pocket one (Canon SD800) that Henrys did a much better job on the pricing than either Future Shop or Best Buy would do. The other plus with a place like Henrys is they sell you the SLR body and you can pick the lense you want seperately...not a package deal like future shop stuck with the prepackage lense. With the other stuff we also bought at Henrys (A540 powershot and stand alone Picturemate printer for me) at the same time we were also able to get them to throw in the 2G high speed memory card for the D80 for free ($130 value) as well as the 512kb card for my powershot.

I use the Canon S2. It does a fine job, but not an slr camera.

The S3 is avalable, but the only difference I noticed right away is that

it has 6mp as opposed to the S2's 5mp.

Canon and Nikon are good bets for quality Tracy.

When I bought my S2 last summer, they were rated 1 & 2 on the market.

Canon had the best processors and second best lenses.

Nikon had the best lenses and second best processors.

At least that's the info I read and heard.

Good luck with the new camera.

Thankyou Gerrit i will check out future shop. But i do agree with irish. I was in carmens yesterday there 2GB card actually is only $80.00 so even cheaper than henrys.

Here is what i have seen so far i like.

eos rebel xt

Digital slr qith 8.0 MP CMOS SENSOR

DIGIC II IMAGE PROCESSOR

Smallest and lightest eos digital camera SLR.

fast 3 frames - per second shooting

high speed, wide erea 7 - point that other site

Direct print support with pictbridge printers.

usb 2.0 hi speed interface for quick downloads.

campatible with more than 50 lenses.

price - $ 829.99

Digitial rebel xt kit #1

rezo 140 aw

1GB Compact flash card (120x)

Replacement battery for cannon

Hoya 58mm multi coated uv

3 yr care warrenty

pre paid digital print card 50

Price- $1099.94

EOS REBEL XTI

hIGH PERFORMANCE d-slr

10.1 megapixels canon cmos sensor

Digic II image processor

large 2.5inch lcd monitor

fast 3 frames per second shooting

0.2 startup time

wide erea 9-point autofocus system

Compatible with more than 50 lenses

price - $1099.94

mepps thankyou i will be sure to check that one out.

Nauti...yes there are cheaper memory cards out there. Keep in mind there is a difference between a base 2G card and a 2G high speed card as well. There is also no sense buying a high speed card if the camera doesn't spec one out as a requirement. The D80 needs the HS card. The eos probably doesn't. Even places like Staples have low priced memory cards at times. I've seen 2G at $29.99 on sale.

My youngest daughter bought the Rebel XT last year from Future Shop. She's very happy with it and, at the time Future Shop had the very best price. I needed a better camera than what I had (a 5 yr old HP 3.2mp) so I got a Sony DSC-H2 (6MP - 12X optical zoom). It's plenty for my needs.

The digital camera market is extremely competitive these days, both in quality and in price. Most major retailers will price match each other, so do your home work. I've looked at Blacks as an alternative to F/S or Best Buy, simply because they will guarrantee the price you pay for three months. They will also sell you the body only and you pick the lense (s) you want.

If your considering a point and shoot, I have a coupla recommendations;

-buy a camera from a company that's in the imaging business, not a manufacturer that sells every kind of electronic device.

-the biggest complaint most people have about their point and shoots, is that they are very slow, from the time you line up your shot and the camera actually takes the shot. The SLR will take care of that problem for you, but has some other negatives attached to them... ie they won't like the abuse/rain/cold weather and are bulky. I would reccommend that you try out a number of cameras and find one that's fast and fits your budget. Mega pixels can be very over rated. You don't need 8 mega pixels to take a quality shot.

A quick note about cards (SD). I have been told by more than one retailer that there are a very large number of counterfit cards being sold on the market these days. Have you noticed that the price for large capacity cards has dropped quite significantly? Don't buy these cards at the dollar store or any non-brand name retailer... you could be jepordizing your shots, using a card that will fail.

HH

• 3 weeks later...

The camera/photo industry has funded my fishing addiction for over 25 years! I own an independent camera store in North York and if any member of the OFC community is looking for a camera, I will get you the best price in town and if for what ever strange reason that I can't I will at least let you know that the deal you have is unbeatable and that you should grab it! Canons are the #1 digital camera company in Canada and for the fishing community Olympus Digital Stylus are all weather-proof or water-proof which can be useful! Feel free to contact me at [email protected]!

Regards,

Dave

The Nikon D40 is a great camera. My dad just got one for himself but I've been going nuts with it on macro mode the last few days - I never had a camera that could take great pics up close before.

For image quality, I've been happy with my Canon and Nikon cameras

Pics taken with the D40

DSC_0053.jpg

DSC_0175.jpg

I couldn't agree with you more MJL. I just got the D40 myself and it's fantastic. For an entry level DSLR you won't find a better camera in terms of bang for your buck. I did a lot of research before buying and all reports gave 2 thumbs up to the D40. Very user friendly too, with great instant help menu's at the push of a button. The 18-55mm kit lens is also great but I can't wait to get a zoom... 18-200 or 70-300mm.

Thanx so much for all the replies guy's and Gals very much appreciated. Still have not purchased my new cam yet.......Still doing some reading up.......Want to make sure it is the exact right camera i want before i spend that kind of money.

Sirfish,

Depends on whether you need the additional things that the S9000 will provide for you!

1/ 9.0 Mega-pixel. Better if you're planning on poster size prints or you crop tightly often!

2/ 35mm equivalent 28mm-300mm 10.7X Optical zoom More wide angle less at top end better for landscapes/senics!

3/ Tilting 2" LCD display. Useful for shooting in unusual positions or over people!

4/ Use of xD or CF cards. Versitility, CF generally less expensive and available in larger capacities.

These are the biggest differences! Fujis generally are great value for the money!

Hope that this helps!

Dave

Nauti...

I researched the Canon and Nikon DSLR lines pretty extensively as I was also in the market. For a while I was torn between the Canon XTI and the Nikon D80. Both the cameras are great, and it seamed that all of the head to head comparisons matched them pretty equally.

I personally found the XTI was a little small for my hands and I preferred Canon over the Nikon for a few reasons, the biggest being Canon's IS technology in their lenses. Nikon lacks comparable image stabilization technology in it's longer lenses and they have been saying for years that they will be bringing their longer lenses up to speed... nothing has happened...(acording to those that have been disappointed for a while).

Because I am going to be mainy shooting wildlife, I ended up choosing the higher model Canon EOS 30D which is a much faster camera and considerably more rugged. The other two are mostly if not all plastic but the EOS 30D has a magnesium-clad body and shoots 5 fps up to 30 frames vs. the XTI which shoots 3 fps up to 27 frames.

One thing is opt out of purchasing the stock 18 - 55 mm lens that these cameras come with, it's useless and upgrade to the 18-85mm lens for an extra couple hundred bucks. You will be way happy with this better all round lens.