Digital Phone Service???

Big Cliff

Just got some information on a company called Mobilewave.net they are offering a package for $24.95 a month that would allow me to keep my current phone number and give me unlimited long distance anywhere in North America as well as several features. My biggest concern is that I can't seem to find any consumer reports or reviews on them or their service. I would very much like to get away from Bell India, when I called them today; after asking me about 7 security questions they then wanted my drivers licence number (just for security purposes) that is when I hung up!

Anyway, I'd like to switch but would like any feed back from anyone that uses a digital phone service or has any information regarding (good or bad) this company called Mobilewave.

Big Cliff

I hear you on bell india,

we just switched to comwave, i have to increase our speed to 7 mgs and all is good, they looked after our old number for us.

so far so good and nooo more bell india, now if i could just switch internet......

Just got some information on a company called Mobilewave.net they are offering a package for $24.95 a month that would allow me to keep my current phone number and give me unlimited long distance anywhere in North America as well as several features. My biggest concern is that I can't seem to find any consumer reports or reviews on them or their service. I would very much like to get away from Bell India, when I called them today; after asking me about 7 security questions they then wanted my drivers licence number (just for security purposes) that is when I hung up!

Anyway, I'd like to switch but would like any feed back from anyone that uses a digital phone service or has any information regarding (good or bad) this company called Mobilewave.

Big Cliff

Do you have high band internet service. If so you can use Magic Jack.... it cost $39.99 the first year to buy it and then only $19.99 a year after that. Hard to beat the deal even with a Ugly Stick. This is a must check out link for anyone tired of paying high phone bills.

http://www.magicjack.com/1/customercare.asp

Edited by Billy Bob

In had Vonage for about ten years now and it probably saved tens of thousands of dollars from Bell.

These Internet phones are pretty good now and you keep the same phone it's not through your computer drectly.

in Canada magicjack is fine for making long distant calls, but they only have USA phone numbers, so everyone calling you will make a long distance to florida or what ever state you want the number from

Edited by Terry

Vonage here too for the last 5 years.

I have had issues with a bad device that Vonage replaced at no charge and even upgraded me.

Vonage gets 2 thumbs up from me!! :D

True drifter on the bad devices but I haven't had any issues for sevearl years. Vonage is also very good about crediting you if you have a bad device.

Actually I have 3 kids at 3 universities from Quebec to Vancouver, and they all have vonage phones, paid for by moi, of course and it has saved me tons of money

way to go bell!

they gave over 1000 jobs to sitel, india for technical and customer service?

i called about the wireless internet , the girl was in india when i asked ,she said it was 130am , then she took complete control of my computer from india? thats was neat i guess,watching someone else open screens and your mouse moving all over the screen and your not touching it.

Buster, you find that neat? Scares the daylights out of me. The fact that they wanted my drivers license, mothers madin name, full address, and a few other questions really had me wondering just how much information they have on me. Not to worry, from the sound of it, I'll be changing very shortly. Got rid of my Bell cell phones, sympatico, now my land lines, only thing left (and that won't be for long) is Express VU. The day that happens I'm having a "Good Bye Bell" party! (might even have a drink or two).

Hey Cliff, I just switched to Primus...well as of the 15th I will have, no muss no fuss.....now I need a new internet provider....and thinking of switching my sattelite as well...not sure if I like Star Choice any better than Express Vu though :(

Maureen

Moe, check and see if you have Xplornet.com in your area, I got them for my high speed and I am VERY satisified with the service and support.

Cliff

Oh, and I get to keep my same phone number too!

Edited by Big Cliff

I almost went through the whole registration with vonage and it wouldnt accept our current number; would have to wait 10-15 business days until ours was 'released'....would have to get a temp number in the meantime....the online chat person was al ittle pushy as well...at the same time I was doing that, my wife was talking to Bell saying that we were going to walk and go somewhere else, so they said they could 'help us out' by lowering our bill....so we'll see I guess..the only thing I have bell for is our landline, everything else is rogers...

You can carry your number with you.

Vonage Canada

Tons of great services are included too.

Moe, check and see if you have Xplornet.com in your area, I got them for my high speed and I am VERY satisified with the service and support.

Cliff

VOIP over satelite works, but not great.

There is a 1.5 second lag in the transmissions due to the fact that the signal has to travel 27,000 KM through the air before it can hit the faster land based technologies. We use xplornet/vonage for mining camp communications up here. With the lag problem you tend to talk over each others sentances a bit. This will usually tick you off and you will end up blaming the VOIP provider when the problem is caused by the satelite technologies limitations.

Boy, I just had a very nice PM from FLEX ROD with some very interesting links and some excellent information. If anyone else is thinking of changing, PM him (just so no one screams spam) and I am sure he'll share it with you.

Thank you so much!

lol :P , yes its neat cliff and yes scares the crap of me too, all my stuff is in my common law wife's name :ph34r: , including house phone,internet,sat-tv etc , i try to keep it that way i hate the thought of big brother :devil: having a data bank with all our info and I always shy from giving info to anyone including bell! :asshat:

Bell are crooks ..they charged me 80+ $$ an month without any loong distance, I use my local cable for phone service, only 34.95$ a month and free long distance in Canada and US up to 1000 minutes! pretty sweet deal . Bell is greedy !

Of course Bell are crooks. Bell is a good example of how the rich become richer. Instead of taking from the rich and giving it to the poor, Bell takes away from the poor and gives it to the rich.

Below is info for my Feb 2009 bill.

“Your Bell Services” were - $31.29

Now what do you think the GST and PST should be?

GST CALCULATION

31.29 x .08 = 2.5032 and after rounding, the amount should be $2.50.

Instead, Bell charged me $2.51.

PST CALCULATION

31.29 x .05 = 1.5645 and after rounding, the amount should be $1.56.

Instead, Bell charged me $1.57.

This has been going on since 2001 because I phoned Bell at that time. It was the year before I bought my computer in April 2002.

Unless my calculations are incorrect, I would say that I am getting ripped-off. But, sometimes the rounding is correct because the amount has to be rounded up.

When incorrect, I just phone them and they give me back a penny or two. I phoned them about 6 months ago and I got 24 pennies back.

Am I doing my calculations wrong? One never knows, it could be me who is wrong.

carp-starter

BellBillFeb09.jpg

Cliff

I got fed up with Bell when their bill would nickle and dime me to death.( small monthly fee for "touch tone phone" When I asked to drop this fee, they said I could if I used a rotary dial phone(try finding one). Kicked them out of my neighbourhood. I switched my cell, internet and phone service to Mr. Rogers' neighbourhood, and have been completely satisfied. I kept the same home number ( have had this number since 1975).

I also switched out Express Vu when they demanded I purchase a "new dish" and a receiver box for Hi Def TV stations. I opted for Star Choice and being a Shaw Communication company, get to deal with real Canadians in Calgary for Customer Service

Since the switch 2 1/2 years ago, I constantly get mail from the Mother Bell Corp, asking me to return. Seems they are becoming desperate for clients.

John

PST CALCULATION

31.29 x .05 = 1.5645 and after rounding, the amount should be $1.56.

Instead, Bell charged me $1.57.

carp-starter

Actually that rounds to 1.57 because of the 5 in the decimal. But luckily the HST will save you from some of that overcharging in the future when they'll only have one shot at rounding up. :thumbsup_anim:

It's interesting to calculate what it means if Bell has, for instance, three million subscribers all chipping in the penny for improper rounding.

JF

Boy, I just had a very nice PM from FLEX ROD with some very interesting links and some excellent information. If anyone else is thinking of changing, PM him (just so no one screams spam) and I am sure he'll share it with you.

Thank you so much!

Thanks, Cliff it was my pleasure to send you the info on ACN.

You picked on the fact that I sent the PM not post open due to SPAM. As in my reply today the company has some neet features. If you require info please let me know as I said the video phone is really cool and it is world wide.

FLEX ROD

We switched up to cable service for phone and internet. Total savings on services was $80 a month. No more long distance bills, servicing fees, lousy service or nonsense from India. Too bad my wife insisted on locking into a 3 year contract with Bell mobility. Another 18 months and that will be gone too.