3 day local lakes report

limeyangler

Hi all,

So far the arrival of our bundle of joy has limited my fishing trips, wouldn't change a thing though :) i still get out ....a lot....just more local lakes. So, i got out Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday this week.......lol.....just not all dayers anymore. I went to Bear Narrows on Eagle lake on Monday evening, Rice Bay on Eagle Lake Tuesday evening and for an hour in the evening out the front of our house on Lake Wabigoon. Walleye being the primary target species.....

DAY 1 BEAR NARROWS AT EAGLE LAKE

AFTER 3 ETERNAL NIGHT SHIFTS AT WORK....LOL....I WAS ALITTLE MORE THAN PLEASED TO GET AN EVENINGS FISHING IN

I WAS SET UP BY 5PM, AND THE BITE STARTED AFTER HALF AN HOUR, HAD TO DRILL A LOT OF HOLES, BUT FOUND A NICE DROP OFF FROM 12 FOW TO 18 FOW, FISHED THE DEEP END OF THE DROP OFF, BRIGHT PINK AND ORANGE JIGS SEEMED TO WORK BEST TODAY

LOTS OF THESE LITTLE GUYS AROUND TODAY

3d5.jpg

AFTER LOTS OF BABY SAUGER ACTION GOT INTO ANOTHER KEEPER

WENT QUIET FOR ABOUT HALF AN HOUR UNTIL 6:30 PM, THEN I GOT HIS GUY...WAS IN THE SLOT SO HAD TO GO BACK :angry:

SEEMS I WAS IN BABY SAUGER CENTRAL!

3d10.jpg

I WAS FISHING NEAR BOTTOM WHEN I SAW A GOOD SIZE FISH ARCH AT 8 FOW, I REELED UP QUICKLY HOPING IT WOULD BE MY THIRD KEEPER WALLEYE, TURNED OUT TO BE A PIKE.

3d11.jpg

BY 7PM SEEMED ONLY SMALL GUYS WERE AROUND, I CAUGHT A LOT OF THESE THAT EVENING

3d9.jpg

THE BITE WAS GETTING SLOWER, AND I WANTED TO GET MY LIMIT OF 4, SO WHEN A SLIGHTLY BIGER SAUGER SUCKED IN THE MINNOW....LOL...I KEPT IT.

THE BABY SAUGERS CONTINUED TO FLOW

JUST AS THE BITE HAD ALL BUT STOPPED, MY SET LINE TARTED TO GO, REELED UP A 15" SAUGER....THAT WOULD DO FOR MY 4TH AND LAST FISH....WALLEYE FOR LUNCH TOMORROW!

3d7.jpg

DAY 2 RICE BAY AT EAGLE LAKE

On Tuesday i had planned to go with my buddy Lew by snowmachine into Dore lake. The weather had turned pretty warm and it was uncertain whether there would be enough snow on some of the trails in, so whilst doing some errands in town i stopped by Lew's place and he'd been thinking the same thing.

We decided we would hit Rice Bay for the evening walleye bite instead of an earlier start and longer journey into Dore Lake.

It was the closing day at Rice bay as it is a designated fish sanctuary from the 31st March, and lew's dad and brother in law plus a few others were due to meet us out there.

CHANGED PLANS LEAD TO AN EARLY LUNCH OF WALLEYE

WITH A GOOD FEED INSIDE ME....LOL......A NAP WAS ALWAYS ON THE CARDS, DID NOT REALISE MY WIFE TOOK THIS SNEEKY PIC TILL I WAS UPLOADING THE PICS

3d15.jpg

QUITE A FEW OF US OUT THERE ON TUESDAY, STILL LOTS OF ICE AND WE ALL DROVE OUT ABOUT 2 MILES AND WERE SET UP BY 5 PM

3d17.jpg

I GOT 2 NICE 11" PERCH STRAIGHT OFF THE BAT WHICH I DONATED TO LEW'S DAD, BUT LEW GOT OUR GROUP OFF TO A START WITH A DECENT KEEPER WALLEYE

3d16.jpg

THE WIND WAS REALLY GUSTING WITH WET SNOW, SO NOT MANY PICS.......I HAD 2 DECENT SIZE WALLEYE BY NOW AND LEW WAS REELING IN HIS 3RD

AS I WAS REELING IN MY 3RD, MY SET LINE WENT, BUT I WAS BUSY SO LEW OBLIGED...

I GOT MY LIMIT, AS DID EVERYONE ELSE IN OUR GRUOP, I LOST A GIANT WALLEYE...TYPICAL......BUT THE REST WERE ALL UNDER 18"

3d20.jpg

WE WERE ALL HEADED BACK BY 8PM

DAY 3 ON WABIGOON I FRONT OF THE HOUSE FOR AN HOUR

Although i had planned to meet Lew at the West Arm of Wabigoon Lake, my chores had piled up a bit by my third day off, so after a lot of running around and cooing over baby ....i decided to just squeeze in about an hour before sunset in front of the house.

Seems strange to me now, but i walked down as it seemed to much hassle to fire up the snowmobile....funny logic i know...but it made sense at the time....lol.

Not many fish out there this year at all, and Lew did much better with his dad down the West Arm, but to me fishing is fishing to a certain degree, and i had fun anyway.

WE'VE HAD ANOTHER 6" OF SNOW, WINTER CAME BACK A BIT, AND STILL PLENTY OF ICE EVERYWHERE

AFTER 15 MINUTES OR SO A LARGE FISH ARCH APPEARED ON SONAR, CIRCLED MY BAIT TWICE, THEN NAILED IT, HOLY CRAP....THIS THING WAS PEELING LINE, AND SHAKING ITS HEAD LIKE A PIKE...YUP...A BIG FAT PIKE!!! FEW MORE INCHESFOR TEAM #3.

3d24.jpg

3d25.jpg

3d26.jpg

ABOUT 20 MINUTES LATER A SMALLER ONE HIT MY SET LINE

3d28.jpg

PLENTY OF SMALL WALLEYE AROUND, JUST NO TAKERS

RIGHT AT THE END OF AN HOUR I HOOKED THIS SMALL ONE, IT WAS GETTING DARK AND CALLED IT A DAY

3d29.jpg

A good 3 days, plenty of fish for lunch/suppers....love it!

Tight lines all

Simon! Your reports are legendary buddy. I love to see how excited you were driving to the lake on the first outing. Glad to see you got some nice walleye to eat as well.

That first pike was a beauty, fat fat fat. IMO, the 2nd little one is a pike as well. Def. not 100% muskie.

Simon! Your reports are legendary buddy. I love to see how excited you were driving to the lake on the first outing. Glad to see you got some nice walleye to eat as well.

That first pike was a beauty, fat fat fat. IMO, the 2nd little one is a pike as well. Def. not 100% muskie.

Maybe you are correct. Just young I guess. Maybe the angle is not correct for me to identify it.

Good report, pictures and videos, Big ol fatty pike, definetly a nice catch. The pike after that i definetly blurted muskie, with the vertical barring and spots throughout the tail/orangish look. Dont feel bad Cudz haha i made the same error.

Thanks for the replies guys,

I really dont think the 2nd fish is a muskie. There are lots of northerns in wabigoon with redish tinged fins, and the young ones seem to have much more pronounced stripes /barring...its true that there are a lot of northern/muskie in the lake......but i dont think this is even one of them.

Great report, pics and videos Simon :thumbsup_anim::worthy:

That was 3 good days of fishing for sure..... and can't / won't complain about the vids either LOL

You sure put a beating on them saugers and like you said.... small but plenty of them B)

Great job on landing that big gator :clapping: It certainly looks like it was feeding well :w00t:

Thanks for taking the time in putting this report together and sharing it with us :clapping:

Again great job and keep it up!

Jacques

Great report Simon and WTG on the Pike for Team 3 :thumbsup_anim:

I also love the pic of you sleeping with your son, brings back many happy memories. I'll say again enjoy these happy moments now as before you know it he'll be out there with you and kicken your butt :lol::lol:

Way to go and congrats again :worthy: