A parting shot for Sportsmen's Show?

fishnsled

I heard this on the radio this morning. The following is from the Toronto Star.

A parting shot for Sportsmen's Show?

Interactive maps: Gun ownership

Mar 20, 2009 04:30 AM

Comments on this story (23)

Donovan Vincent

and Raveena Aulakh

Staff Reporters

The future of the Toronto Sportsmen's Show, currently on at Exhibition Place, appears unclear after the city quietly decided to carry through with banning the sale and display of firearms at the event.

Deputy mayor Joe Pantalone, who also chairs Exhibition Place, said organizers were notified last fall that a final decision had been made: After this year, the popular show would have to conform to Mayor David Miller's ban on promotion of firearms on city property.

But that apparently came as news yesterday to show officials.

"That's never been stated to us,'' said Ray Sriubiskis, vice-president of the Canadian National Sportsmen's Shows, which runs the event.

Sriubiskis said that, as far as he's concerned, the issue is "still under discussion."

Rifles are currently on display and for sale to qualified buyers at the 62-year-old show, underway at the Direct Energy Centre on the Exhibition grounds.

Pantalone, who described the Sportsmen's Show as "amazing," said he doesn't think the city's move will harm it, given that in his view firearms make up only a "small part of the show."

That firearms might be out of the mix – or that the show might have to move outside Toronto – also came as a surprise to gun dealers.

Waterloo-based Shooter's Choice, which sells archery, hunting and fishing equipment, has had a booth at the show for about seven years, said Trevor Williams, a sales associate. "As far as I know, we'll be here (next year)," he said yesterday. "We haven't been told anything on the contrary."

Williams says the retailer sells only about 50 or 60 rifles at the show, but it's an excellent way of getting the word out about the company.

"People have always come here to (Exhibition Place). I'm don't know if another location will get as many crowds."

Jean-Francois Tanguay, of Gravel Agency, which represents the Remington brand, said moving it would "definitely affect everyone. I don't even know if there's another place as big as this. Or if it's as good as this."

Remington hunting rifles are displayed but not sold at the show. But he said "dozens and dozens" of people check them out there and buy later.

About 120,000 people visit the show each year, Sriubiskis said. Thousands of them make a beeline for the Hunting Hall, the section featuring hunting equipment.

"I come here just for the guns," said Christopher Taylor of Newmarket, who was checking out a firearm at Savage Arms' booth yesterday. "I'm a hunter; I like to keep up with what's new in the market."

Taylor, who hasn't missed a show in eight years, said he didn't see anything wrong with displaying and selling firearms, as long as it's safe and legal. "But if the show moves really far away, I don't know if I'll go."

But Michael Spitzer, visiting the Remington booth from his home in Ajax, said he would go wherever the show moved. "As long as there are guns, I will go anywhere.

"I'm totally in favour of firearms present here. What's wrong with that? There's no ammunition ... if they are locked up and treated safely, I'm all in favour."

The future of guns at the show first became an issue last June, after city council approved Miller's "city based'' measures to address gun violence, including a bylaw banning shooting ranges and gun clubs on city property, except those related to policing. A Scarborough rifle club at a community centre and gun club at Union Station were subsequently evicted.

At the time, the Sportsmen's Show contacted the city seeking clarification about how the policy on firearms promotion would affect their operation.

The day after council approved Miller's policy, Pantalone and Councillor Mark Grimes, a sports enthusiast, sought a second council vote on the matter, but later backed down on that plan. Pantalone also tried to bring forward a motion to reword a section of the bylaw that banned "promotion of firearms use" to read "promotion of handgun use." But his motion lost on a 22-18 vote.

Though the show brings the city millions of dollars in parking, concessions, facility rentals and hotel rooms, councillors who voted against the motion said the city needed to be consistent on the ban.

City officials and Pantalone assured organizers that this year's show wouldn't be in jeopardy. Yesterday, Pantalone said the issue was "clarified" in discussions with the city manager's office last fall.

I hope this is salvageable. If in fact it is not, I am hopeful that management will take a serious look at Hamilton, Mississauga or perhaps Oshawa.

I would suggest that it must bring in at least 10 million in sales when one factors in show cost, exhibitor cost and actual sales of services and product.

It remains a pathetic approach to target those that keep the peace.

outdoorguy61

Just remember to vote next time around to get rid of this clown. Miller has been the worst thing for the City of Toronto ever!! Everybody dumped on Mayor Mel but guess what, he was a much better mayor who did not cave to the left or to the far right. This guy will keep on taxing away your hard earned money.

WHEN DOES IT STOP????????????????????????? MAYBE WE SHOULD MOVE THE SHOW OUT OF TORONTO AND SEE HOW THEY LIKE THAT. ITS STARTS WITH GUNS AND WHAT IS NEXT FISHING RODS....

JUST MY 2 CENTS

I hope this is salvageable. If in fact it is not, I am hopeful that management will take a serious look at Hamilton, Mississauga or perhaps Oshawa.

I would suggest that it must bring in at least 10 million in sales when one factors in show cost, exhibitor cost and actual sales of services and product.

It remains a pathetic approach to target those that keep the peace.

outdoorguy61

Time to move it and teach them a lesson. Millions in lost revenue might teach them a lesson. It's not just sales at theshow either. There's parking, hall rental, accomodations, food etc. Hunting has been given heritage status so who the hell is the mayor to ban the showing of firearms.

Just another justification to me that my move away from that hole was the right choice!!! :angry:

The lack of education about guns sickens me. I never have owned or fired a gun, but I believe in the right to bear arms, and frankly believe a well armed public can do a much better job of preventing crimes and improving safety than cops can ever do, since cops always arrive AFTER the crime. All those shootings in the states and around the world by ppl who have unfortunately lost their minds could have been STOPPED by an armed public.

The next slap in the face is the money this would cost the city, what the heck is wrong with Miller, we need to overthrow this moron. I saw him in the subway once at the start of his term before I learned how naive and uninformed he is, next time I'd like to kick him right in the junk HARD.

The future of guns at the show first became an issue last June, after city council approved Miller's "city based'' measures to address gun violence, including a bylaw banning shooting ranges and gun clubs on city property, except those related to policing. A Scarborough rifle club at a community centre and gun club at Union Station were subsequently evicted.

So...

Lemme get this strait.

He wants to ban all estabished Shooting range buisiness's that employ citizens of Toronto, and caters to the sales, and SAFE practices of LEGAL firearms in a SECURE and SAFE enviroment????

So.

I guess he would prefer that people travel to the outskirts and practice outdoors in farm fields, or take their money to other municipalites?

I'm guessing Mr Miller is not very educated on the subject.

Because if he was he would know the owners of LEGAL Firearms are not the same people shooting up downtown...

We're also not the people selling them Firearms, and we're not advocating their actions either?

Mr Miller doesn't seem very bright if you ask me.

What on earth will a ban on shooting ranges accomplish?

Please someone explain to me how banning Shooting ranges will stop a thug from blasting away at his gangster buddies, with an illegal firearm?

Banning & Limiting firearms only does one thing.

It pisses off the responsible Firearms owner....

It does not take the firearms out of the gangsters hand.

There is only one thing can do that....More Policeman

Give them the funding to do what is needed, and cut through the red tape faster.

Edited by Cookslav

Unfortunately, scapegoating is a political way of life in Toronto. Anglers and Hunters are not welcome.

There are lots of other venues that don't have this problem. The Feb show in Mississauga, Buffalo, Niagara Falls Apr. 3-4, etc...

Id be willing to bet that Barrie would happily host the event ... and its not that far for the city slickers to travel ... and get just a little closer to the country for the day anyhows .... maybe combine a little simcoe ice fishin event with it ... just a thought ....

My father devoted his later years to the gun lobby fighting bill c-68 and the likes of Wendy Cukier and Mr. Miller.It's too bad joe public was not better informed on the issues as this would expose Miller as no more than a self serving political points fear mongerer, but unfortunately facts get twisted/misrepresented and people buy into his smoke and mirrors dribble.It's been said that "sense isn't always so common".The biggest thing the gun lobby has lacked is a front man that was effective in media relations and speaking/appealling to the general public to counter the agenda's of the above mentioned.

In my opinion, they should move the show to another city.

If Mayor David Miller doesn't want our business, take it elsewhere.

Give him a good slap across that silly mug of his.

There is no ammunition on site at the show.

Only properly licenced individuals can purchase firearms anyway.

You won't see punks bent on armed crimes purchasing guns at the show, or any other reputable gun shop for that matter.

Miller's ban on guns is just a puff of smoke in peoples faces.

He can't control illegal gun play in the city, so the only recourse is to target law abiding gun owners and shooting clubs.

Since his gun ban, I'm pretty sure the shootings have increased.

IDIOTS !!!

I miss the feel and atmosphere of the show when they used to have it in the older buildings...like 20 years ago when my dad used to take me...

Right there, you said the truest of words.

It,s just not the same anymore.

Move the show north.Not hamilton or oshawa.