Sharpening Systems

Mike the Pike

Ok folks I need to know if someone has purchased a good system for sharpening the good old filet knife.

The old fashioned sharpening stone does not work for me I know I am not doing it right I seem to make it worse.

That little piece of crap that comes with the Rapala is only good for the plastic recycling bin.

I bought this hand held unit that looks like a set of brass knuckles it worked nicely for a year and a half and that too also wore out.

So I don't mind paying a little more but I want something that sharpens my knife so I can sizzle thorugh those filets.

BTW I have the electric Rapala knife which is amazing and I do love it but sometimes its not worth it to take it out for a couple of fish.

:dunno: Mike

Mike, like Billm said that little gizmo is for getting the edge back on your knife blade..... If it does not, I suggest you bye another. I've had the plastic V sharpener for the longest time and when it's time for filleting, a couple of pass and I'm good to go.

How old's your knife anyway??

Jacques

I have one of those small plastic V type sharpeners your talking about made by lansky. It has steel on one side and ceramic on the other. I ONLY use the ceramic side of the sharpener, and only once in a while. 99% of the time, I just use a steel to maintain the edge.

Sinker

I have one of those small plastic V type sharpeners your talking about made by lansky. It has steel on one side and ceramic on the other. I ONLY use the ceramic side of the sharpener, and only once in a while. 99% of the time, I just use a steel to maintain the edge.

Sinker

Retneks prefer the ceramic... and that's prolly why Team #1 The Slammers are in the lead!!! :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping:;)

Whut???

Edited by GCD

If it is a good knife the edge can be saved by someone who knows their stuff. If it is just a regular "disposable" fillet knife, dispose of it and get another.

Wet stone to do the major stuff and steel to keep the edge keen after each session is all a knife should need. A bad knife blade is a pain in the butt, slow, wasteful and dangerous.

Mike, like Billm said that little gizmo is for getting the edge back on your knife blade..... If it does not, I suggest you bye another. I've had the plastic V sharpener for the longest time and when it's time for filleting, a couple of pass and I'm good to go.

How old's your knife anyway??

Jacques

Jacques my knife is 6 yrs old its the big rapala with a wooden handle I also have a little 4 inch model for trout and perch.

I don't use much only for Dore .Most of my fishing is catch and release.

I replaced the rapala sharperner and the new one has no effect.Perhaps my knife is too far gone or it needs to be sharpened by a professional.

Jacques my knife is 6 yrs old its the big rapala with a wooden handle I also have a little 4 inch model for trout and perch.

I don't use much only for Dore .Most of my fishing is catch and release...Quit using your knife on doors and it'll stay sharp!!! (you may also want to use a spell check when posting!)

I replaced the rapala sharperner and the new one has no effect.Perhaps my knife is too far gone or it needs to be sharpened by a professional.

The Rapala sharpener is for maintaining a sharp blade, use it before, during, and after you use your knife every time!

Take a good pair of wire dykes and break the point off of your knife... then you can use it for a screwdriver!

I don't use much only for Dore .Most of my fishing is catch and release.

Mike I know exactly which one you talking about. Those are good knifes and from what you saying, a sharpening from a professional is in deed required here.

Here's my tools I use for filleting.... and like you, I mostly do catch & release except for "dore". This knife was given to me by my brother a long time ago and using the V sharpener every time before, during and after does the job very well. Here a pic of it:

IMGP1795.jpg

My brother was given this knife from Snap on company when he was a truck mechanic and since he doesn't go fishing at all, gave it to me B)

I like those Kershaw knives Jacques!

I have an old "exchange-a-blade" Kershaw has a fillet blade, a meat cutting blade, and a saw blade.

I'm not really sure if Mike has anything to worry about.. he has to catch a fish before he can even start to worry about cleaning it! ;)

... but it is better to be ready if the moment should ever arrive!

I have an old "exchange-a-blade" Kershaw has a fillet blade, a meat cutting blade, and a saw blade.

I'm not really sure if Mike has anything to worry about.. he has to catch a fish before he can even start to worry about cleaning it! ;)

Yes Glen them Kershaw knives sure are one of the best ones out there... I simply love mine.

The characteristic that I like about it is that the blade is not too stiff, makes for easier stroking along the fishes spine to get both fillets.

And I agree that Mike needs to be prepared when he finally lands a fish on ice LOL Just kidding Mike :lol:

I use to be a butcher. Was A oil and stone for 30 years.

Went to the lansky diamond rod.

I don't have to steel the knife as often.

This means the edge is not as coarse.

Which in turn prevent the edge from rolling over, when struck or pull

over a hard surface. cutting board,bone.

Put the wrong edge on a knife doesn't help.

You don't put the same edge on your fillet knife as your buck knife.

The lansky is a good sharpener. But it takes time to get use too.

I practice on old knifes. It's not hark to destroy a knife.

I know one think Glen I will eat Walleye before you this year.

IMG_0224_1.jpg

IMG_0225_1.jpg

:P