Southern Exposure Roady Report.

Moosebunk

So as the saying goes... "Home is where the heart is."

Every second year is Christmas in the valley with my family. It had already been a long haul from late October's last days fishing when Santa days had arrived. Strangely, I hadn't actually been missin' fishin' all that much at the time, the winter stretch of November through to March seems to historically be the busy "work" period when I have to make up for all the fun and travel that goes on the rest of the year. This season was so far no different. Before long the freeze-up helicopter rides, thin ice snowmobile commutes, work training and student preceptoring had all quickly passed when our flock migrated south to the warmth of family and friends.

As always, it's a special time.

Xmas08-08.jpg

Xmas08-14.jpg

Xmas08-33.jpg

Xmas08-23.jpg

Never lasts long enough.

Through all the delayed and cancelled Xmas flights Bren and the girls worked some magic in order to be home in time for the New Year's celebration held here in Moose Factory. Hating the skies that time of year, I drove and took the train home. Our timing was perfect.

Xmas08-43.jpg

Xmas08-45.jpg

With the start of 2009 I quickly realized NOTHING was planned for fishing this year, and just the thought of that created a feeling of urgency to fish. But, with consistent days and days of -25 to -40C temps and the knowing that catching much of anything would be slim even in comfortable weather, it was decided that I'd join some old friends in Temagami come February. As it turned out, the dates they chose worked perfectly for me to fit in a ReelBuddies gathering down in the Calabogie area, as well as make my daughters hockey tournament in Sudbury. One hizelluvan action-packed road trip was now in the plans... and to make it all a little easier I eventually recruited Agent Stevie Zebco of "Mission Fishin' Impossible" fame to join me.

The first day of the trip finally arrived.

Zebco and I got my truck loaded on a flat-bed chain car and the skidoo stored away in the canoe car of the Little Bear Express train. Cruising south the next 300km's we drank cans of Bud in the "Cans of Bud" car.

It was late arriving in Cochrane... around 10pm and past my bedtime. I had a full bladder while I strolled from the station to the frieght yard to releive myself and truck. Zebco stayed behind at the canoe car with the sled on it. Within 20 minutes or so I pulled up to Stevie who was standing beside the tracks with NO train cars to be seen. "Where is the skidoo Stevie?" I so calmly inquired. "Ahhh, don't worry man, the train's bringing it back in a minute," he comforted with a grin.

We got out of Cochrane early enough the next morn and blazed our path south on the pothole infested Highway 11. By Temagami we were seeing less and less snow and TONNES and TONNES of water and slush on the roadside lakes.

Along the way we stopped a couple times for booze and minners and lube... for the Bravo, when somewhere outside of Mattawa I noticed my snowmobile cover had been ripped to shreds by the wind. It was around there too that my bowels started to get that rotten feeling only a sudden of rush of fluid might cure. Sure enough, by Deep River I polluted that dainty little ice cream store's facility before forging ahead to Renfrew.

It was closing in on dinner time and the rain was coming down in sheets. The Ottawa valley is so totally depressing in winter at times. Agent Stevie Zebco was looking at an open Calabogie Lake and the Madawaska River while mentioning how he knew some great lakes back in Hearst that we could turn around and go fish. I must admit, pessimism and my ongoing internal abdo combustion were making me warm to his suggestions.

Rain, rain, rain... when we got to Perth surely people who saw us must have thought we were retarded with our sled in the box. Thank Gawd Mama had made some lasagna and I had the sense to call my buddy RJ who was able to put a little snow and sunshine into our terrible thoughts that night. I didn't sleep at first though... something flu-like was aching me head, bones and belly, so I overdosed and got more than the half-life out of some druggy concoction.

AND GUESS WHAT??? That morning it was raining and The Agent had to be woken...

"Stevie.?.?.?"

"Yeah.?.?.?"

"Get up!"

"Uhhh, I did hear the alarm."

"Then you should be waiting in the truck by now."

By 8:00am it was all hugs and kisses and highfives with about 20 other die-hard kuncklehead anglers from across the balmy south. We met at our undisclosed location to get prepared for the tour into our undisclosed location. The 250cc Bravo would be the chariot for hauling me, Zebco and about a half tonne of stuff we didn't need, into our undisclosed location.

By now you're reading and thinking... when am I going to get a picture break? Well... you ain't getting it here, so read on.

Capn RJ knew the way in... or so it took him some trial and error. The Agent and I took the scenic route with him in the lead for awhile, sucking the extra-oily fumes his little 82-toot-toot Bravo coughed out behind him. Eventually, after I had driven my precious second vehicle (my wonderful and well taken care of Bravo) over two or so kilometers of solid mud and rock logging-road shart; stopping frequently to curse, cry and throw tantrum, did I finally make it into the camp. Great news was, I was due back to pick others up at the starting point.

It was a good thing I drove back though cause along the way I found FLOATFISHIN and Snag and beers, they found a blackberry techy device thingy, skidoos were up trees, people burried under snowbanks, a survival kit not with anyone around to survive with it, and then eventually I found my way back with everyone all intact except for Fishforfun which for a reason needing no mention, had lost his skidoo.

It was a damp day full of fun and frolic and it was nice to feel some cold in the air once mid afternoon rolled in.

winter09-21.jpg

But even nicer to have a dry and warm cabin to crawl into.

winter09-20.jpg

Only a few of the RB's crew fished at all that day. Some doods played Poker with peanuts cause the chips didn't show up yet... (MT) while others got drunk on alcohol and/or high on Peyote and heroin injections. Me and The Agent just chilled on liquids.

Next morning was game day and MuskieMagnet, ScottyD-to-the-O-double-G, Agent S. Zebco and I had drawn up a plan to drive our sleds up a 400 foot and 85 degree icy vertical slope, in order to fish a wee gem of a speckled trout lake upon it's peak. The idea was made better as, the small lake would provide shelter from the cold winds of the morning.

Sledding on frozen over ATV ruts with Zebco sure sucked emu terds, but the way was really quite pleasant and scenic when I could see it through my sweat and rage. The Madawaska Highlands I sure wouldn't mind calling home someday.

winter09-19.jpg

winter09-17.jpg

I usually stand up on the Bravo, so S. Zebco was forced to ride facing backwards for our trips, rather than have my buttocks pinching his nose.

The little lake when we arrived truly was a site.

winter09-18.jpg

We tried to get down to fishing but Magnet's auger was frozen-up and needed some thinkin's to get it fixed and werkin'. People had been on the lake maybe just a day before us, a cigarette butt not even frozen into the previous days rain smoothed surface was the evidence of that. In due time everyone's lines were down and as time went on we began to examine the excuses as to why we remained bite-less. Severe high pressure cold front after a 60 hour warm and rainy low front... yeah, that'll work I thought. ScottyDog played with sticks... "fire burn, pale face like." We were having a good time.

winter09-16.jpg

winter09-22.jpg

Four hours with the lines down it was 1:00pm and nada. We packed 'er up and drove back down the cliff. The afternoon sun was warming the skin and our crew had second wind to go join the crowds on the laker lake. When we pulled up to Cisco and Swampdawger who were fishing alone at the access it was about 2:00pm and the fellers had just iced a couple.

winter09-28.jpg

Rumor had it, everyone on the lake was suckin' hind-twit for fish so far that day. Rumors though... just rumors...??? Strangely though Agent Stevie Zebco was struck a big blow to the gastro and suffered some headachage too. Maybe my flu, maybe the 24 he drank the day before, partner was down and out trying to sleep it off on the rocky shoreline the rest of the day.

Grudgingly remembering Markus had challenged my anglinating skills not twice but maybe thrice, I dropped a couple lines and iced 3 lakers by 3:15. After that I retired and went for a drive to see how everyone else was doing.

winter09-27.jpg

winter09-29.jpg

It was a great day and come evening Jammer and I won the poker... (just need some folks to remember that too) The food and comraderie was awesome. Zebco started to rebound with some Single Malt medicine and began having a jolly good time too. But did I mention the best was when Jammer and I won the poker...?

Next morning my head hurt and when I caught whiff of the outhouse after breakfast I chucked. Was forced to take my morning constitutional to the backwoods for a safer clean air squat. Along route I noticed others had done the same, and there sure were alot of yellow mouseholes in front of the camp too.

Back in our cabin there was a fallen soldier who would need time and have to be left behind. Our man Markus was sufferring a nasty bout of torticollis and needed rest, Toradol and Codeine. Sucks to fly all the way from Nova Scotia and take a bullet like that.

The daily plan was a social fish. When we got to the laker lake lotsa folks were already there thumping minners and watching flashers. Half the camp had moved to Cisco's and SwampD's locale. MT, I think he was already asleep in his hut. Zebco was feeling on now, and he and I picked what holes were left. It was a fun morning fishing with people I've seemingly known a lifetime but never much or at all hung-out with in person.... except here's one awefully familiar face to get the pics started.

winter09-32.jpg

winter09-25.jpg

Couple newcomers to the "Trootscapades" MT and Agent Zebco picked up their first ice-angled lac truits.

winter09-30.jpg

winter09-26.jpg

As the day wore on all seemed to be at least getting a fish. Being that we were almost all together and enjoying everyone's catches as a group made time pass far too quickly. The camera's were always out, the laughs consistent, and this guy Paya going old skool was leading the pack. He won with the biggest derby fish which he had caught the day before but, he was still pulling out respectable sized trouts with seasoned regularity through this afternoon.

winter09-24.jpg

Jammer nearing days end got in on some action too.

winter09-23.jpg

Me... I had a good slay on for the day. Caught a bunch and unfortunately lost a few too. One pig and probably derby winner came unpegged right at head out in the hole moment, and sadly my two arms in there after him couldn't secure a grip and the greasy greaser made me weep. Did turn around a catch a nice one shortly thereafter though...

winter09-31.jpg

It was certainly one of the best days icefishing I've ever had. The small stocked inland lakes don't make for too many big fish but getting the chance to actually fish with a group and see everyone having fun and getting into great trout was something I surely want to enjoy again.

Back at camp Swampdawger had caught this 20 incher of another kind. Don't know who was happier, SwampD for the catch or FLOATY for the bait props.

Calabogie2009bigspeckjohn039Small.jpg

Wished I'd had a photo of everyone with a fish, but these were all that my camera had. Couldn't be everywhere at once.

Roast beef dinner, more poker, darts, scotch, beer, scotch, beer and Zebco's snoring capped that evening. Next morning we got the group photo then high-tailed it out of there... burning the sliders to stink and seals right out of the chaincase. All in good fun... and can't wait to do it again next year.

winter09-33a.jpg

Back left to right - MT Livewell, MuskieMagnet, Jammer, Scottydog, Jazman, Hendy, Paya, Markus, Snag, Cisco and Swampdawger.

Front left to right - WIG, Agent Stevie Zebco, myself, Sherriff, FLOATFISHIN, Fishforfun, bts, RJ and Birdee. Missing was Tenline.

Man, it's been such a long while since I've had a report kinda feel a little rusty.

Intermission.......

There is a second part, as like I said up top, it was the RB's gathering then onward to Temagami.

Getting out of Bogie on the sunday aft, Zebco and I B-lined'er too a motel in North Bay. Other than a chipped windshield and Zebco complaining about my musical taste "The Band" and the cold draft at his feet, the drive was uneventful. We called our wives that evening for a belated Valentines Day, "love ya, miss ya sweetie-pie," moment, except that both our wives had better ideas and they chewed us out for whatever reasons they had for chewing us out. Zebco and I found happiness off-the-line by taking each other out for some belated Valentines Day love sharing and all you can eat wings at Kelsey's. BOO YAH!!! Whoop whoop!

Monday morning we woke early to get our groceries for our next 4 days... problem was, it was "Family Day," and North Bay was sleeping in or something. Our boys from Ottawa, Keith, Fra and Stevie2 meeting up with us at 10:00am filled us in on the plan and ensured they would feed us ti'll the next day.

After driving out on Temagami Lake's mess for seemingly ages, we found home. It had been a few years since fishing this lake... in fact, I had never ice fished south of Temagami and historically never had any luck on this body of water. As pretty as this place is, it's fishing blows goats... but strangely there's such potential in it's depths. My buddy's fish it every year, sometimes twice. I was just pumped to be along and hang-out with the lads, it'd been a long time.

By 3:00pm we were outside the huts. By 6:00pm I was LOVING the Vexilar. A couple strategic moves kept the skunk off for me and by days end I iced our group's only fish. Watched this lite-biter come in under it on the flasher... I'll take it.

winter09-34.jpg

Tuesday morning I was up bright and early for the 45 minute drive into town. Got there and the store was to open at 9:00am, not 8:00am like I had hoped. When I finally got back to the cabin with our groceries, the boys were coming in from the morning fish. Still no fish. We took off for a couple hours to try two new spots that are spring producers, but the effort was unrewarding on this grey late morning.

Few years back Fra, Keith and I had hit a back lake. The tour in there at the time had been a blind ride in for all others but me. I told the crew to follow as Temagami was already gettin' on me fishin' nerves. All of us were game.

winter09-35.jpg

winter09-36.jpg

My Bravo made the treck despite my worries with all the little puddles of chain case oil I was leaking at every stop. The Honda got Fra, Keith and Stevie2 in, I took gear and Zebco. Once on the lake, the nasty winds of the day that had been kickin' up on Temagami seemed just breezy now. It was a comfortable move and there were no signs of recent fishing activity around. We set-up off the main lake point and Keith got us started with a shallow walleye when his flag popped.

winter09-37.jpg

I wasn't far behind for when my rod tip dropped I ran like D. Bailey and struck the finish. What I was into didn't feel like an eye, it actually had some kahuna's. At the hole I caught a first through the ice for me.

winter09-38.jpg

Big smallie fo' sho'. I had rehooked a shiner and it was about 10 minutes later when the same rod went again. Another pleasant surprise... another big bass.

winter09-40.jpg

Zebco was taking care of business just a little more shallow from me. He was quick to get on the board with a couple under the slot. HappyMeals we call 'em.

winter09-39.jpg

Stevie2 and Fra were real quiet still to this point, but I was hearing bells again and was off to the races at the HappyStick. Everything Happy. Ummm, thought about moving my hole but.... nahhh. I was surrounded by holes catching walleye, why would I want to fish them and watch someone slide in on these bronze bucks.

winter09-41.jpg

I hadn't caught or seen smallmouf bass like this since fishing Erie. Each one a football and tough enough that when they jumped they broke through two feet of ice. (thanks for that Joe)

Rods went a little quiet for awhile after that last bass. Decided to redrill and when doing so Fra asked for a hole too. Upon finishing I dropped my lure and quickly lost a minnow to a fish that I felt was small. Fra on the other hand dropped down his hole and got his minner chomped on by some jaws. Just before his fish reached the hole I felt the weight of his line... I got all tingly in my dingly just then. SOLID weight... "This is a good fish Fra."

And sure enough it was just that.

winter09-42.jpg

Sun setting I had time to get in just one more fish from my smallie hole. This one came in like a piece of wet skin... but it was surprisingly meaty.

winter09-45.jpg

Last night was seafood lasagna... tonight tenderloin, mash, mush and onions. After Poker we all retired early. Was the best afternoon fishing "around" Temagami I ever had.

I was first up next morn and hizell-bent on catchin' a laker. First to the hut. Lines down... and sit. Weather was real hairy and cold, tonnes of fresh snow blowing in, and I had decided to park the sled for good for fear of that chaincase, otherwise I would have fished elsewhere. Zebco poked in about an hour later. Three hours later and this was all we (he) could muster up, but at least we had been comfortable and warm, sheltered from the blizzardo.

winter09-46.jpg

Back for brunch the gang tossed a coin to decide our action. The back lake won again... and it just made sense to get away from the main lake wind and also have nothing to do with the unlucky fish-less huts. Upon leaving that afternoon, the Honda was clearly not going to make the trip in with 5 people and so Fra and Stevie2 opted to stay behind. Stevie2 later catching an 8-pound ling for his sacrifice.

We had to winch once on route but in no time Keith, Zebco and I were back at bass and eye alley. The fish from the day before were all the talk cause their average sizes were awesome, and the lake also holds lakers and pike of which the biggest trout reported has been 12 pounds and pike 36+ inches. Gimme some of that action...

winter09-44.jpg

... The Agent Stevie Zebco too...

winter09-43.jpg

I picked up 3 in slot and Zebco 5 below. Keith's day was slow but in the end he pulled a rabbit from hat and enjoyed his first ever iced smallie; another chunky monkey.

winter09-47.jpg

The day was a little slower but 10 fish were caught and probably that many missed for Zebco. Keith and I lost a few too.

Back at the cabin for our last night, chef Stevie2 had prepared what he called "Retarded Sheppard's Pie." It was a little crazy for sure, but scumptiously so. We were toast and crashed heee-ard.

The snow kept falling over night. Come morning we thought we would be in for one tough ride off the lake but at 11:00am or so, a big Ford with no load came ripping down the lake smashing the drifts and blazing a trail out. We took it. Gear loaded and goodbye's said, Zebco and I were on the road again. Thanks for the good times Keith, Fra and Stevie.

Last stop was Temagami to see Wayne and company. I had planned to fish the afternoon with him and the lads but because the skidoo went to potty Zebco and I decided to make the rush to Cochrane to the Yamaha dealer to see if we could leave it with them the weekend and me pick it up Monday on the way through there again. We stopped briefly and met Terry and Headhunter (Joe) at Wayne's but unfortunately with the snow still blowing and falling we made it a short visit and got back on the road, hoping for smooth sailing. If they were taking the sled, Steve was going to Hearst overnight to see family and I was going to get my wife and youngest earlier than expected in Timmins, and get to Summer's first game in Sudbury friday morning. The plan hinged around losing the sled.

The roads were OK but at some stretch of highway where a tractor-trailer went topsy-turvy it had closed the road. Had it not been for Stevie knowing a way around, we could have been set way back in time. Sadly, in Cochrane, the Yamaha dealer couldn't do what I needed them too in short time. Stevie and I retreated to the motel, then later out for some ribs, then to much needed sleep.

It was friday morning now. Zebco and I had been pushing everyday for 10 days and it was the end of the line for him. I dropped him off at the train station with my sled, said goodbye, then put the hammer down to Timmins to grab Bren and Leah quick then push on down the 144 to Sudbury. Despite the snow, the ride went smooth and I enjoyed every bit of that stretch of Highway I had never driven before. Timmins to Gogama to Sudbury is GOD'S Country.

winter09-50.jpg

winter09-49.jpg

winter09-48.jpg

280km's of road and probably a stretch of 200km's with only a single building halfway along. Awesome. Not many cops either, made great time.

All the family together at the end of the road trip, Bren and I enjoyed some shopping and eating out, while the wee ones each had some fun in their own ways.

winter09-52.jpg

winter09-54.jpg

They didn't place well at the tourney, organized hockey seems a little more organized south of the 51st, but the team enjoyed the trip.

winter09-56.jpg

Moose Factory to Cochrane to Perth to Calabogie to North Bay to Temagami to Cochrane to Sudbury to Cochrane and back to Moose Factory. Now I need a vacation. Some great friends and fishing along the way.

winter09-51.jpg

Next time I go fishin' I hope to take a plane. ;)

Fabulous report Drew ! Well right up to the part where a guy with all that energy couldn't go 3 more miles down a lake! lol

No biggy... you'll be back and we all fully understood the road conditions from our drives up.... with some of us barely making it to Temagami in one piece.

Shoot...it has been a long time since you reported, Moosie -- definitely missed it! And I thought I packed on the miles...WOW :blink: Gotta love the moose highway...'specially when it's cop and moose-free...glad you and the fam made it all in one piece.

Awesome pics and commentary :D

WHAT A TRIP Drew :w00t:

Another stellar report from you :thumbsup_anim: Congratulations :clapping:

Loved the pics of the bronze back and the big eyes.... The back lakes certainly paid off for you guys :thumbsup_anim:

Glad your made it home safe and sound with your family and want to thank you for sharing your adventure with us :canadian:

Jacques

I cant believe you actually like the 144!!! it is horrendous!! Now the moose come out to lick the 3inches of salt they put on for every inch of snow they get, summer moose and black bear come out cause of the flies and skeeters, the only "low" time for that hwy is fall, all the animals hide from the hunters!!! lol Not to mention the 6 inches of shoulder on each side......

Any hoo, great report, (Heratio puts his glasses on), and glad to see myself in it again!!! LOL

Any hoo, great report, (Heratio puts his glasses on), and glad to see myself in it again!!! LOL

Here Agent Stevie Zebco... I got one for ya... check the link.

http://video.google.ca/videosearch?q=jim+c...emb=0&aq=f#

david-caruso-horatio-cain.jpg

Thanks for the replies guys and gal.

Snag... I wouldn't be caught dead with an urban nutcase like you. :P

Snag... I wouldn't be caught dead with an urban nutcase like you. :P

You live to far to hunt you down. The gas alone would kill me.

So I'll let your heart breaking smear slide this time.

I guess pic 3 is you preparing to meet Goofy soon............. :whistling: