Has anyone fished with P-LINE ?

BigGuy

Hi folks,

I've been hearing good things about P-LINE Fluoro-clear. It's a monofilament line coated with fluorocarbon and is said to be very strong with low memory.

Has anyone whose fished with this line verify this information and give us the benefit of your experience such as strength of line, castibility, memory of line etc...etc.

Regards,

BigGuy :)

P-Line FLOUROCLEAR is a copolymer base that is coated with fluorocarbon, it is a great line for leaders, tying spinner rigs for walleye and casting cranks. I have been using the 20lb flouroclear because it is almost the same diameter as 10lb test.

On my trolling rods I really like P-Line CX Premium copolymer and Flourclear lines as they have very thin diameter which allows you to use heavier pound test while reducing line breaks and it has very little effect on dive curves. You can also get these lines in different colours to use in different lighting situations.

The CXX lines have a thick diameter and is popular with the bass crowd as it has excellent breaking strength, abrasion resistance and casts well thanks to the thick diameter.

-sheldon

Edited by eye-tracker

I tried it and ended up giving it all away. They had the 1000 yard filler spools for sale at Bass Pro a few years ago for $19 so I stocked up but ended up losing confidence in the line. It could be that I am just too comfortable with braid. I had 6, 8, 10, 12, 15 and 20 I think and gave away all of it after having some "issues" with memory on spinning gear. I shouldn't have given away the 20 as I bet on a baitcaster it would probably be okay. But I was upset with it. lol

Just my experience with it. Doesn't mean it's not good line, just didn't work out so good for me. As a matter of fact I do not use mono or fluoro on any of my spinning gear, only fluoro leaders. So it's not just P-Line Fluoroclear, although that is the line that made me decide to stick solely with braid.

But the fact that the guy I gave it to was actively searching for it shows me that one person's junk is another's treasure.

Charles

I spooled up withit once in 08 and didn't like it, to easily broken off on rocks and zebra's, went back to seagar and trilene lines.

not saying it is a bad line i suspect i got a bad spool i could snap 8 lb test easier than 4 when i tested it after losing 2 x-raps or so

But the fact that the guy I gave it to was actively searching for it shows me that one person's junk is another's treasure.

Um Charles, I'm looking for a new 7' rod and reel for chucking crank bait's if you are still tossing things out... ;):D

Sorry to hijack the thread, I just had to...

Geoff W

So far so good for me. I've run the CX Premium, Flouroclear and Spectrex braid.

All have worked very well for me (knock on wood). My first experience with the Flouro was as ET stated. tying worm harnesses for walleye and it impressed me on durability. I use the flouroclear now for all my leader material.

Fished all day on Lake Joseph last week for lakers with an 8lb leader and never had to change once. Had multiple fish roll up in the leader too.

I ran 17 CX on a bass rod and like how soft and smooth it was for pitching.

I use a bunch of other lines too but I have confidence so far in buying anything from PLINE

Well since you asked....after all I would hate to open the latest greatest fishin line debate...but I use

Excalibur by silver thread---been fishin well over 40 years and way more than just occasionally and this is the best I've used for day in day out all round line.

gators still bite it off easy but they do most---braid is better for that.

Let the debate commence...don't make me show pictoral evidence.....

Kinda rhymes huh?

Bushart

I've used Flouro-clear in 10lb test on a spinning reel.

The guy at the tackle shop was raving about it, so I figured I'd give it a try. The first time I spooled it, I first took notice of how smooth it felt. Like silk. But I couldn't get rid of line twist no matter what I did. It was just aweful. I stripped it all off and respooled it. Now it's alright I guess...lol. It still twists a bit, and has a fair bit of memory. It tends to come off the spool in coils which can make for tangles, but I've used worse.

I pretty much exclusively use braid or superline now, and I'll tie on a flouro leader on occasion. If I want the extra stretch(shock absorption) of mono, I use it then. But to be honest, I was always happy with Trilene, and don't recall ever having big twisting or memory problems with it. I only tried it on the advice of my local tackle shop guy, but I think I would have been just as happy(or more so) with Trilene.

I'm actually curious to try the Trilene Max, but I've got enough of the Flouroclear left to last me a while, and I'm waaaay to cheap to pitch it or just give it away....

P-line is a good line, like most of the other premium lines on the market. It is a matter of personel preference. There is no magic bullet. Most brands give you a choice of a limp line i.e. Trilene XL, Sufix Elite, and an abrasion resistance line i.e Trilene XT, Sufix Siege. In general the limp line has less memory and handles better on spinning reels. The abrasion resistance lines has a protective coating, giving it more memory and handles better on baitcasting reels. Memory also depends on the age of the line and the temperature at which it is used. When the temp is close to zero, everyline out there has bad memory. You can spray it down with some of the silicone conditioner out on the market, they really help. Another thing that people complain about is line-twist. No line is immune to it. It is inherent to the reel you use and the lures you have on the end of the line. Spinning reels twist your line everytime you retrieve and each time line is pulled off against the drag. Floatreels will give you line twist if you side cast. Spinners and spoons will twist your line when you use them without a good swivel. So no one line on the market twist less than another. Just make sure when you put new line on your reel you do it properly. I am amazed at how many people who fished for many years still don't know how to spool lines. Finally if someone find that magic bullet, please PM me. (And don't tell me it's braid, that is another topic altogether)

Didn't we cover this before?

Why do newbies always have to try and reinvent the wheel?

As a novice I assume you are spooling up a spinning reel.

Get 15 pound Fireline braid or 20 pound PowerPro.

I guarantee you will have no problems.

If you want to use a leader or put Fluoro on a second spool, Seaguar has a new low priced 100% fluorocarbon line called Red Label.

I bought some 6 pound and 15 pound test to use as leaders. I am very impressed with how limp it is.

If you are using a bait-caster, I like 40 pound Fireline Braid, or 50 pound Power Pro unless your tossing Musky baits, where you will need 80 pound test.

If you follow this advice and don't like the line, lines I will buy them off of you!

Garry2R's

Love it...

Its all I use in the spring for trout.

I ususaly spool up with 6lb, and fish lakers & specks in Algonquin...super impressed with the results to be honest.

Sounds like some had issues, but as far as testamonials go I switched 4 years ago, and have never looked back.

I like it for the low stretch when setting the hook

Yup,

exactly....I find it very low stretch, and super tough I might add?

I know some are saying they had a bad experience with it but not I?

But...

Then Again I'm useing 6lb exclusively so Maybe the higher lb tests are a not as good?

it only stands to reason a thicker diameter would be more likely to have memory issues.

Edited by Cookslav

WOW! Telling a novice all he need is braid and a fluoro leader is some great advice. A newbie probably wouldn't even know how to connect the two properly. There is a time and a place for everything. Braids are great for some applications but by no means the magic line for everything. If that was the case, there wouldn't be any monos hanging on the store shelves. Why would any company spend millions each year to produce a product that is obsolete to their customers.

Before you buy any new line, check for a new Canadian Bass Pro Shop flyer next week.

In the USA there is a big Spring sale starting on the 27th.

Many brands of line are on sale or have discounts when you buy two.

The Canadian flier is usually the same, with the prices adjusted.

Bernie66:

I don't know why companies spend millions to obsolete products...Ask Ford and GM.

As far as people still using mono, hell CTC still sells spools of the black nylon fishing line that I used in the 50's...

Some of the top Musky guys still use Dacron line...I guess there's always a stick-in-the-mud out there somewhere.

There's an old saying , "There is no free lunch." Which means that for every advantage gained, you have to give up something else.

Let's apply that to fishing line. In the past 50 years I have used Mono, Fluoro, Co-polymer, and at least 10 types or brands of braid looking for the "Holy Grail."

Mono was better than the nylon, Dacron and cotton string it replaced...but we had never seen tangles like that before!

Fluorocarbon was going to be invisible underwater and more sensitive...But it jumped off the front of our spinning reels, was a stiff as wire and wouldn't hold a knot!

Braid was going to solve all the problems of single strand plastic line...But it slipped on the arbor, dug into itself, clinch type knots slipped out and the first stuff was so coarse a weave that it sounded like it was sawing the guides off the rod! On top of that the 10 pound test was so fine it cut off on rocks and mussels as easily as the two pound mono it resembled.

It's not a good float reel line. Plastic is better at rejecting Water Fleas and you need special clips for down-riggers and planer boards etc.

But that's not what we were talking about here...

Big Guy's last post asked about Fluoro versus Mono for Walleye in Rice in the Spring...His new question is what about a co-polymer line. I think he's been reading the advertising and wonders if he can get the best of both worlds by going that route...See "No Free Lunch"...Grin.

Let's look at my suggestion.

Braid is user friendly, it doesn't twist and snarl which is the first problem that beginners have with plastic line.

As a bonus, he will feel the light bites. Which is again, a problem for beginners using light plastic line.

Braid generally comes with a folder showing the Uni to Uni and Palomar knots, and he has friends at OFC...wink.

For Wally, in the Spring, in Rice, he probably doesn't need a leader with 15 or 20 pound Power Pro or Fireline braid.

As a security blanket, he can add a leader if he sees fit.

Plus, I am willing to stand behind my advice...I will buy the line back if he doesn't like it.

I think that's a pretty good offer...

If you want to buy all the mono that I don't like, PM me with the address you want it delivered...HAHAHA!

Edited by garry2rs

I have used 8lb on my spinning for 3 seasons and while I cannot complain about the strength (I drag weeds out of Rice Lake by the roots) I can second anyone who complains about the memory. It really is quite bad and you will lose line to birdnest/tangles often. Try something else, I plan to.

RJ

Hi garry2rs,

Sorry Garry, my intention wasn't to open pandoras box. I met a local fisherman at a coffee shop and he was raving about this P-LINE fluor clear. I was curious to hear what the guys on the board thought about using this product as a main line, and as a result, most of the guys don't like it.

I was sold on the Superbraids when I received my first e-mail from you. You made a very sound and informative argument for the Superbraids and backed it up with solid facts and years of experience using many different lines. If I implied that I did not appreciate your advice, please accept my apology because that was not my intention. I look forward to reading your posts as they help me learn more about fishing.

I will be trying the Superbraids this Spring and will let you know how it goes.

Regards,

BigGuy