yamaha 6hp 4-stroke vs. mecury 6hp 4- stroke.

stan_133

I'm looking to buy a new kicker motor for my 16.5 2000 Alumacraft Lunker and i'm not sure if i sould go with Yamaha or Mercury. In both cases i'm looking for a 6hp 4-stroke kicker. Yamaha's F6 6hp 4-stroke seems to be a bigger motor with a displacement of 197cc and 2-cylinders compared to Mercurys 6hp 4-stroke with 123cc and 1-cylinder. i'm just wondering if anyone has any suggestions out there. thanks guys.

I would go with the Yamaha over the Mercury. The Merc is made by Tohatsu, which also makes Nissan. Same motor only Merc is priced higher. I can't say anything bad about the motor because I don't know much about it but the pricing scheme leaves a bad taste.

The Yamaha's are terrific, never seen a bad one!

In therory, a 2 cylinder will run smoother than a single (thumper as they used to be known). Single cylinders will often have more torque compared to twins of similer displacment. I think both motors are so small the differences might not be perceivable.

If you're interested in a 5hp used Honda, PM me, I can put you in touch with someone.

-Brian

Yep, 2 cyl is smoother. Yep Merc is a Tohatsu which is an OK motor but if you set your mind on the Merc then shop around at Nissan outboard motor dealers for a better price, there's one in Oakville.

Compare the weight factor before your final decision. If weight is important, which it probably is, then the 1 cylinder motor may be a better bet.

Without a doubt ...Yamaha !!!!!!!!

One day I was out fishing and this dude pulled up beside me to poop chat about how the fishing was ..

It was only after 5 / 10 minutes that I realized his 90 four stroke engine was Running .....

Man they run smooth B)B)

BTW I own a Merc ,,,no problems with it , but Yamaha 's run like a top

I would go for the Yamaha.My main motor is a Merc Opti and I wouldnt change it for the world.But when it came to a kicker 4 stroke I went Yamaha.If you are looking at 6hp why not check out the 8hp High Thrust.Great motors for the price difference.I have 9.9 High Thrust and that thing will push 4 foot waves at an idle.

Just my 2 cents

Dan