Pics of the Jeep that went through in Innisfil

Cudz

I have a few more pics and some bigger ones as well but these were taken 2 minutes after it went through. Apparently it is still there and they are unable to get it out. It is not sitting on the bottom but on another sheet of ice. They are worried it is going to sink. Everyday it is out there he is being fined. Apparently the whole salvage is going to cost (with fines) in the neighbourhood of $30K. Seems a bit steep but that is what I was told.

Be careful out there.

jeep_sunk1.jpg

jeep_sunk2.jpg

Thats crazy for sure....Seeing as i had my ram 1500 Quad cab out there sunday and today. Mind you i only drove where plent of other trucks, vans, and cars had already been out and i didn't cross any pressure cracks out there! Ice was creaking like crazy out there today though under my truck too kinda made me nervous....

apparently ice around it was too unstable? I believe the issue is that it is sitting on the sheet of ice that has sunk. IT is much deeper in that spot than it looks but it is sitting on a half-sunk sheet of ice. They were contemplating putting a steel beam through the windowso that if it slips off the ice it won't sink. Not too sure exactly what is going on.

Edited by Cudz

While I enjoy fishing as much as most on this board, it still baffles the mind that people drive $40,000 vehicles on any ice regardless of thickness and risk $30,000 salvage fees in the hopes of catching a few perch or whitefish.

Every year these pictures are posted but yet somehow, the lure of the mighty perch is greater for some than common sense.

While I enjoy fishing as much as most on this board, it still baffles the mind that people drive $40,000 vehicles on any ice regardless of thickness and risk $30,000 salvage fees in the hopes of catching a few perch or whitefish.

Every year these pictures are posted but yet somehow, the lure of the mighty perch is greater for some than common sense.

Insurance!

The cost of clean up can be really high! Our neighbour had a fuel oil leak: The bill to date for the clean up (because he has waterfront property) is in excess of $1.2 Million and still climbing, it has been 2 years and the clean up is still going on. It was only a 250 gal tank and leaked into the ground about 150' away from the water!

The marina a couple of doors down was going to put in a new gas tank: Cost $50 K for a containment system in case there was ever a leak + all new tanks and equipment + only people that could serve fuel had to take a course @$1000.00 ea. They couldn't afford to put it in.

The rules and laws are getting stricter all the time and the fines? I don't know what they are now but I'll bet they are high!

OK - I'm assuming the picture was taken the day of the accident. Just looking at the ice in the picture I could tell you it was not going to be safe (or iffy) Do you agree?

Look at the brite side

1. No one got hurt!

2. Think of the structure this will make when it finally sinks! We should tell him to roll down all of the window and throw some saplings in there.

OK - I'm assuming the picture was taken the day of the accident. Just looking at the ice in the picture I could tell you it was not going to be safe (or iffy) Do you agree?

NO.. we were out there in a van Saturday....ice was perfectly safe (as ice can be). Some pressure cracks were getting questionable when we came back in and some refreeze spots looked iffy so you just don't drive on them. Looks like he drove into a pressure crack area where the ice got pushed down (what he's sitting on) and it refroze above it.. but not solid. He went thru the refreeze and is sitting on the original ice (that is most likely over 14 inches thick.)

Edited by irishfield